Recording short clips...

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
vlcforumusername
New Cone
New Cone

Recording short clips...

Postby vlcforumusername » 20 Jan 2015 15:17

I would like to extract small clips (5-10 seconds) from some videos I have (and maintain the same original resolution/quality), but the record button is giving me trouble. I play the video, scrub to the entry point, hit record, then press record again when done. 10% of the time it works, 90% of the time vlc outputs a 2k file that wont play.

Is there a better way to crop videos? The A/B option is terrible (no way to set the start/stop points independently), so it's hard to get clean clips sometimes. I would like to avoid using a real video editing program since what I am trying to do is so simple.

*and I am on windows using the latest version of vlc.

Thanks!

vlcforumusername
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Recording short clips...

Postby vlcforumusername » 22 Jan 2015 10:40

Downloaded the latest klite codec pack, still having trouble.

Can anyone confirm the record feature just plain sucks? I mean it's like even when it works, it doesn't start recording at the right time (always a second or two off). Has anyone actually had success using this feature?

My wishlist for a plugin would be pretty simple, just 1.) The ability to easily set start/stop points for recording short 5-10 second soundbites/clips and 2.) Have vlc use the name of the source video file when exporting (instead of some random file name).

I know what you're thinking - just use a video editing program like Adobe Premier, but it's super convenient to just snag a clip/soundbite directly from vlc, when watching a video, instead of having to stop, open a video editor, load the clip, find the part of the video you were just watching, etc...

vlcforumusername
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Recording short clips...

Postby vlcforumusername » 05 Feb 2015 21:17

Tried using the record feature again today... Am I doing something wrong? It seems like when I start recording at a STOPPED position, the actually recording doesn't start when I hit play (there is a time delay). Is there just no way to accurately record short clips from start position A to end position B?

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”