VLC on Suse Linux 10.0

*nix specific usage questions
frenk

VLC on Suse Linux 10.0

Postby frenk » 25 Oct 2005 15:32

Hi!
I have recently installed Suse Linux 10.0 on my laptop and i have been trying to install VLC but with no results.
The problem is I can't find all the libraries that VLC needs, neither on the page suggested in the VideoLan home page (RPM by Quentin Denis: http://packman.links2linux.de/?action=377)
If ther's anyone who can help me I'll be very greatefull....
Thanks
Frenk

Teetrinker
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby Teetrinker » 25 Oct 2005 18:07

Which Version do you want to install?
All needed things should be there.

What are you missing. Maybe you should try SVN and adjust the spec file which comes with the 0.8.2 version from PackMan and build a RPM.

Or wait for 0.8.4 and a RPM from PackMan.

ThomasK

Postby ThomasK » 25 Oct 2005 19:35

Hello,

First, vlc-0.8.2 doesn't compile with wxGTK 2.6.1 on SuSE 10

But meanwhile I managed to compile vlc 0.8.4-test1 Janus from CVS on Suse 10 Final/Release version without problems.

I also configured it with daap support. So I am able to listen to my itunes music library over my home network (mt-daapd-server on a linksys nslu2 box).

Now I am using vlc for 14 days and I have no problems with it.
All media formats (DVD, AVI, MPG and Audio Files) work without problems.
The player works like a charm.

If some need a detailed information how to compile/install vlc on SuSE 10
I could post it here. Just let me know.

Give me just a little bit more time for making a appropriate RPM package.

frenk

Postby frenk » 25 Oct 2005 22:01

hi again,
the version of VLC i'm trying to install is 0.8.2.
I downloaded the sources of VLC and the libraries, I compiled before the libraries and then the VLC package.
well, when i configure VLC, it appears:

"configure: error:Missing header file ffmpeg/avcodec.h"

I tried to install again the ffmpeg libraries, but with the same result.....

I dunno what is the problem, if this indication can help you to understand what I have to do to solve it, please explain me.
Thanks a lot
bye

frenk

Postby Guest » 25 Oct 2005 22:22

@frenk

As mentioned before vlc-0.8.2 doesn't compile on SusE 10.
I also had no success on this.

You have to use a newer version.
I was able to compile vlc 0.8.4-test1 Janus from CVS.

If you need help on this let me know.....

For your information:

I have used the following configure options:

./configure --prefix=/usr --libdir=/usr/lib --sysconfdir=/etc --mandir=/usr/share/man --enable-debug --disable-optimise --enable-dvdread --enable-dvdplay --enable-dvbpsi --enable-v4l --enable-vcd --enable-mad --enable-pp --enable-ffmpeg --with-ffmpeg=/usr --enable-faad --enable-xvid --enable-dv --enable-flac --enable-theora --enable-x11 --enable-xvideo --disable-qte --disable-directx --enable-fb --enable-aa --without-wingdi --enable-alsa --enable-oss --enable-esd --enable-arts --disable-waveout --enable-gtk --disable-familiar --enable-gnome --enable-qt --disable-opie --disable-macosx --disable-qnx --disable-intfwin --enable-ncurses --enable-xosd --enable-lirc --enable-pth --disable-st --disable-testsuite --enable-speex --enable-plugins --enable-livedotcom --disable-mkv --enable-wxwidgets --enable-skins2 --enable-mozilla-plugin --enable-libmpeg2 --enable-dvdnav --disable-hal --enable-daap

Postby Guest » 26 Oct 2005 22:11

Hello @ all,

I've just the same problems like frenk.

"configure: error:Missing header file ffmpeg/avcodec.h"

When I use the options, which the guest (sorry I dont know your name) prefer, I get an error either:

"configure: error: cannot find libdvdread headers"

I dont know what to do. Im a "Linux-Rookie". Maybe I should wait for the rpm of 0.8.4.

cu

Teetrinker

Postby Teetrinker » 26 Oct 2005 22:44

Libffmpeg0-devel ( http://packman.links2linux.de/?action=223 ) and libdvdread-devel ( http://packman.links2linux.de/?action=121 ) installed ?

e20italia

Postby e20italia » 27 Oct 2005 20:22

i have installed vlc on suse 10 using the rpm from LINUX-ADMINISTRATORS:COM
it says the version is 0.8.2
it works fine but i can't have CDDB infos for audio cd (with audiocd:// and kscd cddb works )... any idea ??

de_sousa

the rpm build or the instructions to compile

Postby de_sousa » 30 Oct 2005 02:37

hi i'm a newbie in compiling, so can anyone explain how to compile the vlc 0.8.4 to use it on suse 10, please? regards

johnnylq
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

vlc from source

Postby johnnylq » 05 Dec 2005 18:30

Hi..I have the same problem but when I compile:
**************************************************************************************************************
#./configure --enable-x11 --enable-xvideo --enable-wxwidgets --disable-gtk --enable-debug --enable-sdl --enable-ffmpeg --with-ffmpeg-mp3lame --enable-mad --enable-portaudio --enable-dvdread --enable-libdvbpsi --enable-a52 --enable-dts --enable-libmpeg2 --enable-dvdnav --enable-faad --enable-vorbis --enable-ogg --enable-theora --enable-faac --enable-mkv --enable-freetype --enable-fribidi --enable-speex --enable-flac --enable-livedotcom --with-libiconv-prefix=/usr/local --with-livedotcom-tree=/usr/lib/live --with-x264-tree=/home/invitado/software/vlc/x264-20051126/ --with-ffmpeg-tree=/home/invitado/software/vlc/ffmpeg-20051126/ --enable-caca --enable-skins --enable-skins2 --enable-alsa --disable-kde --disable-qt --enable-ncurses --enable-release --enable-real --enable-realrtsp --enable-vcdx --x-libraries=/usr/X11R6/lib64;
***********************************************************************************************************
and then I type make iHave the next error:
***********************************************************************************************************

make[2]: Entering directory `/home/invitado/software/vlc/vlc-0.8.4'
srcdir=. ./toolbox --update-version
g++ -Wsign-compare -Wsign-compare -Wall -pipe -o vlc src/vlc-vlc.o lib/libvlc.a ./modules/misc/memcpy/libmemcpymmx.a ./modules/video_chroma/libi420_rgb_mmx.a ./modules/video_chroma/libi422_yuy2_mmx.a ./modules/video_chroma/libi420_ymga_mmx.a ./modules/video_chroma/libi420_yuy2_mmx.a ./modules/misc/memcpy/libmemcpymmxext.a ./modules/misc/memcpy/libmemcpy3dn.a ./modules/demux/liblivedotcom.a ./modules/mux/mpeg/libmux_ts.a ./modules/demux/libmkv.a ./modules/codec/ffmpeg/libffmpeg.a ./modules/stream_out/libstream_out_switcher.a ./modules/codec/libtheora.a ./modules/codec/libx264.a -L/usr/local/lib -g -lhal -ldbus-1 -lrt -lpthread -ldl -lm /usr/local/lib/libiconv.so -Wl,-rpath -Wl,/usr/local/lib -L/usr/lib/live/UsageEnvironment -lUsageEnvironment -L/usr/lib/live/groupsock -lgroupsock -L/usr/lib/live/BasicUsageEnvironment -lBasicUsageEnvironment -L/usr/lib/live/liveMedia -lliveMedia -ldvbpsi -lsysfs -lz -lmatroska -lebml -L/home/invitado/software/vlc/ffmpeg-20051126/libavformat /home/invitado/software/vlc/ffmpeg-20051126/libavformat/libavformat.a -L/home/invitado/software/vlc/ffmpeg-20051126/libavcodec /home/invitado/software/vlc/ffmpeg-20051126/libavcodec/libavcodec.a -L/home/invitado/software/vlc/ffmpeg-20051126/libavutil /home/invitado/software/vlc/ffmpeg-20051126/libavutil/libavutil.a -lxvidcore -lfaad -lfaac -lz -lmp3lame -lm -ltheora -logg -lx264 -L/home/invitado/software/vlc/x264-20051126 -lm
lib/libvlc.a(lib_libvlc_a-libvlc.o): En la función `InitDeviceValues':
src/libvlc.c:2557: referencia a `hal_initialize' sin definir
lib/libvlc.a(lib_libvlc_a-libvlc.o): En la función `VLC_Init':
src/libvlc.c:2559: referencia a `hal_get_all_devices' sin definir
src/libvlc.c:2584: referencia a `hal_free_string_array' sin definir
src/libvlc.c:2587: referencia a `hal_shutdown' sin definir
src/libvlc.c:2563: referencia a `hal_device_property_exists' sin definir
src/libvlc.c:2569: referencia a `hal_device_get_property_bool' sin definir
src/libvlc.c:2571: referencia a `hal_device_get_property_string' sin definir
src/libvlc.c:2582: referencia a `hal_free_string' sin definir
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [vlc] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/invitado/software/vlc/vlc-0.8.4'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/invitado/software/vlc/vlc-0.8.4'
make: *** [all] Error 2
invitado@linux02:~/software/vlc/vlc-0.8.4> ls src/libvlc.c
src/libvlc.c
**********************************************************************************************************
And when I add the --disable-hal option in configure; I have the same error.......
my OS is suse 10....
can onyone help me???

ps ..sorry for my english..

Return to “VLC media player for Linux and friends Troubleshooting”