Batch convert + keep file name

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Brokenlax
New Cone
New Cone

Batch convert + keep file name

Postby Brokenlax » 02 Nov 2009 03:50

I'm trying to transcode a batch of atrac to mp3's, but sadly I cannot seem to to do more than one or keep its original file name.

Anyone got ideas? Again, trasncoding one manually at a time and giving it a new name works, but im trying to keep its original name and do more than one at a time. :)

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Re: Batch convert + keep file name

Postby VLC_help » 02 Nov 2009 13:46

Brokenlax
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Brokenlax » 02 Nov 2009 19:30

Theres no given value as to which is which, is there a guide on how to edit that to my preferences?

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 03 Nov 2009 15:51

Code: Select all

for %%a in (*.oma) do "C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc" -I dummy -vvv %%a --sout=#transcode{acodec=mp3,ab=128}:standard{access=file,mux=dummy,dst=%%a.mp3} vlc://quit
Something like that.

cellulo
New Cone
New Cone

Postby cellulo » 22 Nov 2009 18:13

Great, that was exactly what I was missing to stop boring manual conversion 8)
How can I change the "ab=128" to "keep the original audio file" ?
(and then also have a faster and best quality conversion)

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 23 Nov 2009 14:17

How can I change the "ab=128" to "keep the original audio file" ?
You cannot maintain same quality, because you are doing lossy conversion. If you are targeting to same file size, you have to manually figure out the bitrate of the original files and update the script (VLC doesn't offer same bitrate as input option).

cellulo
New Cone
New Cone

Postby cellulo » 23 Nov 2009 17:18

You're right I was thinking same file size, expecting it is due to same bitrate.

Nevertheless I'm surprised because when converting manualy I have a check box called "Keep original audio file" in the codec audio settings (I work with french version 1.0.1).
Then conversion is faster as if it operates more an extraction than a conversion and file size is very similar.

1- If you confirm there is no code equivalent to this check box, that means I may have a best result manualy but it remains boring :cry:
2- I save the command line in a bat file, and i noticed that conversion fails when the filename includes spacebar caracters
3- Then how can I write a routine to convert at different bitrate and select after conversion (eg. file320.mp3 and file192.mp3 then I can choose the adequate file by its size) ?

Thanks for your support

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 24 Nov 2009 17:04

Keep original audio file
That doesn't do any transcoding, it just puts the exact same audio to new container. So output won't be MP3.
I save the command line in a bat file, and i noticed that conversion fails when the filename includes spacebar caracters
but "" around filenames. So my video.avi becomes "my video.avi"

Code: Select all

for %%a in (*.oma) do "C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc" -I dummy -vvv "%%a" --sout=#transcode{acodec=mp3,ab=128}:standard{access=file,mux=dummy,dst="%%a".mp3} vlc://quit
Then how can I write a routine to convert at different bitrate and select after conversion (eg. file320.mp3 and file192.mp3 then I can choose the adequate file by its size) ?
http://fixunix.com/ms-dos/355415-filesi ... -free.html there are few examples you could use to compare file sizes, but basic command-line scripting really isn't an ideal option for something like that.

Animedude5555
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Animedude5555 » 12 Apr 2011 06:05

How do I batch convert using the GUI of VLC Player? I've got some VOC files extracted from the Duke Nukem 3D game, and want to convert to WAV. So I've decided to use VLC which does handle these files. But I can't get it to batch convert them. I've added them all to my list of files to convert, but VLC stops after converting only one of them. Even worse it does NOT keep the same file name (DEFEATED.VOC should become DEFEATED.WAV, not SomeNewFileName.WAV, but SomeNewFileName.WAV is EXACTLY what VLC insists on). So I have 2 problems to fix. One is getting it to convert all selected files, not just the first one, and my other problem is making it keep the correct file name. And finally I want to do this with the GUI of VLC Player. I don't want to have to resort to command line switches.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 12 Apr 2011 16:25

Format string might work for filename problem http://wiki.videolan.org/Documentation: ... mat_String
but VLC GUI isn't mean for batch processing.

Fourpie
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Fourpie » 09 Mar 2012 11:33

Re "VLC GUI isn't meant for batch processing":
Why then does the dialogue invite you to 'Add Files' and it adds them to a list, looking for all the world as if it will transact the whole batch?

Is it as I suspect, meant to batch process, but unfortunately this is not functioning yet?

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 09 Mar 2012 19:17

Multi file input in GUI is mostly meant for streaming situations.

valasudurai
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby valasudurai » 03 Nov 2014 15:39

hi please help to convert lot of files using vlc and i need the exactly same name to the original file
file format is flv
and convert to android hd video or android sd high
but if i select android sd low the vlc suddenly crashed :mrgreen:
I am using win8 64 bit

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”