No more VLC on appstore?

iOS, iPad, iPhone, tvOS specific usage questions
equilibrium
New Cone
New Cone

No more VLC on appstore?

Postby equilibrium » 18 Sep 2014 07:03

I have had VLC on my Iphone5s before, with music and movies, and it worked great. After a time, I removed the music/movie files from the phone, leaving the VLC app.

Recently I got some new music in the FLAC format, and transferred it via itunes to my phone, going through the process of selecting device, selecting apps, selecting VLC, Add. etc etc. This time around the app would not recognize there were files to be read, continually telling me "your media library is empty." even though the files were taking up space on my phone. I tried removing and replacing the music files. nothing. uninstalling, reinstalling VLC. nothing. I uninstalled it last night in hopes of attempting the reinstall today hoping for different results. To my surprise VLC is nowhere to be found in the app store. I can find it by selecting updates-purchased-not on this iphone, but when I try to retrieve it from the cloud it informs me that "the item you tried to buy is no longer available."

Any love?

nic507
New Cone
New Cone

Re: No more VLC on appstore?

Postby nic507 » 19 Sep 2014 12:14

I posted an answer to this issue in another post but incase you didn't see it i'll go over it again quickly. I'm not an expert or anything, below is just what worked for me and what I think.

If you've transferred your purchases from your iphone to your itunes it should be in your itunes app library. From there if you find the VLC app, click and drag it over to your device (a box on the right hand side will pop up. One of the issues I had was that the VLC version I had in my app library wasn't the most up to date version. Finding the .ipa file online didn't help as I think the .ipa file has to be linked to your itunes account.

If you have the updated version on an iPad, iPod or another iphone with your itunes account then you can connect it to itunes and transfer the purchases. If the option to transfer purchases doesn't appear immediately click on File>Devices>Transfer purchases. This will physically transfer the app on your phone/ipad to itunes and allow you to copy it to any other device with your itunes/that you connect to your computer.

Hope this helps!

sandeepsb
New Cone
New Cone

Postby sandeepsb » 19 Sep 2014 17:30

is there a reason why the VLC app has been removed from the store. I've just got an iPhone 6 today and using a new Apple ID. The VLC app was the main reason that confirmed my purchase due to playing MKV files.

I hope it comes back.

doasis23
New Cone
New Cone

Postby doasis23 » 20 Sep 2014 03:12

My ipad crashed on install of ios8. I didnt have all the apps backed up to my computer because they take up to much space. When I restored from icloud vlc did not d/l. When I looked under the purchased tab in itunes the vlc app is no longer there.

ElVino
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ElVino » 20 Sep 2014 17:50

I get the same problem ! I deleted VLC to save space for the iOS8 install but then once completed, VLC is nowhere to be found in the app store and Apple feels it has the right to mess the --please stay polite-- with what was in my folders so all my .ipa are also gone... I hate Apple so much.... anyhow, what's going on ??

Bloodklot
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Bloodklot » 22 Sep 2014 21:03

Yes can we get VLC back in the appstore???

Bloodklot
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Bloodklot » 23 Sep 2014 20:35

Cmon Videolan.. at least let us know what's going on...

Anubiscore
New Cone
New Cone
Operating System: Windows / Linux / Ma

Postby Anubiscore » 04 Oct 2014 20:11

Hey, maybe it will help I found the same player under a different name.

Code: Select all

https://itunes.apple.com/cz/app/dragon-video-player-lite/id837851884?mt=8

Thomo
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Thomo » 06 Oct 2014 00:01

This is my first time using VLC on iPad, I have move documents in to VLC app and they are taking up 25GB of space but when opening the app it shows "empty media library"? I've read comments above and tried but cannot find files :( please help I'm flying away tonight for a month a need the files cheers

mluisbrown
New Cone
New Cone

Postby mluisbrown » 14 Oct 2014 10:45

See the recent posts by Felix Paul Kuehne (the lead dev for VLC for iOS) on the forum. A new version with support for iOS 8 and the iPhone 6 and 6+ is being prepared.

Not sure why the old version had to be pulled though. However, I have the old version running on my iPhone 6 and whilst it runs fine, it absolutely kills the battery, to such an extent that the phone gets almost too hot to hold comfortably. Something that never happened on the iPhone 5 (even with iOS 8). That could be a reason enough to remove it from the app store until a new version is ready.

yairmarx
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby yairmarx » 15 Oct 2014 19:54

I hope it comes back soon. I used this app to pull off my plex server. The offline caching from my plex server worked flawlessly.

VideoBinary
New Cone
New Cone

Postby VideoBinary » 13 Feb 2015 00:45

It is back on the AppStore for me :D :D :D :D

Return to “VLC for iOS, iPadOS and Apple TV”