VLC Playback Issues

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Comben
New Cone
New Cone

VLC Playback Issues

Postby Comben » 18 Sep 2014 20:08

Hi,

I ran a search online to see if anyone else had this issue but was unable to find any useful information so I've decided to see if anyone can help on the offical fourms.

I am currently having problems with VLC playing certain file types (MKV and MP4 that I know of so far) It plays both files type in a grainy, jumpy manner. I have no such problems with an AVI file so I don't understand what is causing my playback issues?

I'm running 2.1.5 of VLC on Windows XP SP3. I have had this issue since 2.1.2 to my knowledge. I have dowloaded one extention in the past called "VLC Sub" so I don't know if thats part of the problem but I also don't know how to uninstall it. Finally I have tried a fresh install and reseting my prefrences to no avail.

Any help would be appricated.
Comben

DAOQ
New Cone
New Cone

Re: VLC Playback Issues

Postby DAOQ » 22 Sep 2014 03:47

I was having some video problems with certain files and it ended up being that my hardware was not decoding the video of those files correctly. I just turned off hardware decoding and the problems went away.

Try going to "Tools" - "Preferences" - Click the "Input / Codecs" cone on the right - then under "Hardware-accelerated decoding" set it to disable. Save the change and re-start VLC by closing and re-opening it.

Then try the playback again, if the problem goes away then for some reason your hardware ( could be the driver for the hardware or the hardware itself ) is not correctly decoding the stream of those types of files.

If the problem doesn't go away, then, it's not the hardware and you can turn it back on.

If you find that it is the hardware, you might try checking to see if you have the latest drivers for your video card because sometimes that can fix it.

Hope this helps.

David.

Comben
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Comben » 24 Sep 2014 16:59

Firstly I would like to thank you for your reply. I was beginning to think no one could help. I appricate the time you spent on the reply, very helpful.

Unfortunately the Hardware-accelerated decoding was already set to off, so I tried turing it on but to no avail. I had the same grainy jumpy picture.

Unsure what to try next but all ideas welcome because VLC seems to be the only media player capible of playing most video types and has great sound to boot.

Comben

fishbaitcws
New Cone
New Cone

Postby fishbaitcws » 14 Aug 2017 15:40

Hi, I'm new to forums so please forgive any stupid things I might do while I learn, thank's! I have been having the (sounds like) same problem. This "fix" did not help me either. Have you found an answer yet? I will say this; some downloaders always put out good downloads. Some do not but get good comments. I try to use the same download person but many do not offer the tv shows I like. This was 3 years ago before windows 10. I had this problem on windows 7 & still have the problem. It makes it hard when your data is limited & you have to keep downloading until You find one that works!

EodiV
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby EodiV » 15 Aug 2017 15:27

If I understand correctly some video files do not playback correctly for you. could you tell me if this happens with specific files? Meaning, every time you open that file, it plays back incorrectly? If so we could open a bug ticket for it, meaning the devs will take a look at it from a technical standpoint. If there is anything we can improve on VLC to make the file playback correct, we will try to do so, but if the video is just a bad video there might be nothing we can do.

So again, please let me know, does it always happen with the same file? What version of VLC are you using? (The latest official version is 2.2.6, make sure you have that one) If you have the problem in VLC 2.2.6, please also try our nightly build,VLC 3.0, to chack if the problem still exists in our test versions of the next release. https://nightlies.videolan.org/build/win64/last/

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”