Playlist Total Play-length time (ascending/descending)

Feature requests for VLC.
alamgirian6329
New Cone
New Cone

Playlist Total Play-length time (ascending/descending)

Postby alamgirian6329 » 30 Dec 2011 23:23

It would be so much helpful to add this little functionality, where users can find out the total play-time for the files in the play-list. Something like Windows Media player shows, and many others.

For those of us who play multiple files, this creates a huge issue to find the total play time , and having to add each one separately is quite cumbersome.

With lots of hope...

Thanks

wefandango
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Playlist Total Play-length time (ascending/descending)

Postby wefandango » 05 Jan 2012 22:41

I agree, I would LOVE this feature. The only software I can find that reports an accurate playlist time is SoundJam on an old Mac running OS 9. Even the newest version of iTunes gives inaccurate total times.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 06 Jan 2012 18:36

Only way of getting accurate results is to play each file and calculate every correctly played section (FPS or samplerate). And with VLC this would be somewhat problematic, since you can have inputs that never end (e.g. dshow, net streams) or inputs where duration changes (net streams).

mongler
New Cone
New Cone

Postby mongler » 07 May 2012 05:21

Only way of getting accurate results is to play each file and calculate every correctly played section (FPS or samplerate). And with VLC this would be somewhat problematic, since you can have inputs that never end (e.g. dshow, net streams) or inputs where duration changes (net streams).
Thats a pretty poor excuse. Honestly, that is the type of logic that says "Because there are exceptions, we will not even attempt to fix the problem."

Even though plenty of people stream stuff, or listen to audio or watch video formats that have broken indices, or otherwise have indeterminate lengths...

the VAST majority of the files played on VLC are simple Mp3s, Avis, Mkvs, and WMVs.

the VAST majority of those files are "intact" and encoded using a common/familiar encoding scheme.

Hence, the VAST majority of the files that are played on VLC have easily determined lengths.

Of the litearally hundreds of thousands of Mp3s I have played (100s of audiobooks along with about 100 gigabytes of music) and thousands of movies and TV shows of varying of varying format I have played...

at least 99.9% of them have DETERMINED lengths that can be displayed in the playlist window, in windows "properties" or even as a tab displayed in windows explorer.

because such an overwhelming majority of content DOES have accurate lengths that can be predetermined without actually opening the file and playing it, I would consider it almost a no-brainer.

I found it shocking that VLC does not have this feature.

for those with undetermined lengths due to WHATEVER factor, simply augment the "total time" with an infinity sign, a little message that explains why the number is incorrect, "00:00:00" or some other obvious indicator that explains to the user that the total time is undetermined.

Ashada
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Ashada » 23 May 2012 20:33

I've implemented the total playlist duration in an extension.
You can get it here: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=97639&start=20#p341783
Hope it helps you.

raimo
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby raimo » 23 Jan 2013 18:37

I installed windows 8 and vlc again.
Reactivated the plugin but I noted that it doesn't work any more.

Are there people who use this plugin with windows 8?

dvjrickkraft
New Cone
New Cone

Postby dvjrickkraft » 19 Apr 2013 00:18

Ticket 4252 which addressed this feature request has been closed and added to release 2.1, but that has been struck through. I'm hoping that this very useful feature is still on the menu! Thank you devs for caring about your users, and taking your time to help them! :)

PatrickDickey52761
New Cone
New Cone

Postby PatrickDickey52761 » 13 Sep 2013 21:17

I have to agree that the reasoning given by the VideoLan team in this thread is poor. Other applications provide this feature, and some of them (Rhythmbox, Audacious, etc) are open source. So you should be able to see how they implement it (especially since they allow you to stream music), and implement it as well. As it is, I had to create my playlist in VLC (which I prefer to use) and then open it in Rhythmbox, just so I could find out the total time.

At least I'd like to know, if someone took the trouble of creating a patch to add the feature in, would it be accepted?

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 16 Sep 2013 14:51

Use 2.1.0
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

RhymeKitten
New Cone
New Cone

Postby RhymeKitten » 12 May 2014 05:39

Using 2.1.4 on the Mac - this feature still doesn't exist.
It was great when I had this feature back in 1999 with WinAMP on Windows 2000.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 21 May 2014 18:34

Use 2.2.0 on Mac
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

hpoon

Postby hpoon » 25 Sep 2014 19:48

Digging up old thread:
Using 2.1.5 - still can't do it.

My workaround:
Select all files in Windows Explorer and hitting properties. It tells me the total time of all selected videos.

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”