How to export with video effects applied

macOS specific usage questions
jiggy1965
New Cone
New Cone

How to export with video effects applied

Postby jiggy1965 » 21 Jan 2013 23:37

I've brightened a video and changed the saturation so the video is in greyscale. Now I want to export that video to a new video file with those applied effects. So I went to Streaming/Export Wizard and chose for Transcode/Save to File. Selected the current file to be exported which was in the playlist. In the Transcode window I selected to transcode the video track as I figured that had to be exported with the lighter/greyscale video track. Selected the encapsulation format (.mov like the original) and had the file exported. It gave the new file, but when I opened that one and reset the video effects window in VLC the video was still dark and in colour, so nothing was changed. How can I apply various video effects and have the video exported with those effects applied?

GroundHogPDX
New Cone
New Cone

Re: How to export with video effects applied

Postby GroundHogPDX » 13 Feb 2014 23:39

Were you ever able to resolve this? I've been searching the forums, but I do not see any information that answers this question. I'm interested in knowing, as I have a couple of videos which I recorded on a digital camera, to which I applied some video effects in VLC ( - on a Mac / OSX - ), and would like to save a copy of the videos with the effects intact. If anyone can help sort this out, it would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

dfuhrmann
Developer
Developer

Postby dfuhrmann » 14 Feb 2014 11:42

AFAIK this is just not supported yet, on the Mac. If you use the Linux or Windows VLC version, you have the possibility to add video filters for transcoding, though.

rossdv8
New Cone
New Cone

Postby rossdv8 » 23 Apr 2014 09:44

It doesn't seem to be supported, and I know the 'Stream > Transcode' option can be used with filters defined but I haven't found a way to use this with intermittent filters. For example Sepia at the beginning of the video then thrn to colour, and maybe the Psychedelic filter for one section. that sort of thing. Stream and Transcode just seems to let me set one filter on the whole video.

So I use a quick and dirty work around.
Open the video in VLC and pause it. Open the Tools > Effects and filters and slide it to one side then set the VLC window to a comfortable size. It doesn't need to be more than about quarter screen.

I have Simple Screen Recorder installed.
All I do is set SSR to record a rectangular area, then draw the rectangle over the video inside VLC.
ALT + R will start the recording and click play in VLC.

The various settings in SSR are pretty straight forward. Audio could be the problem for some people, but I got it working after one or two experimental clicks using mp3.

There are one or two VLC effects that can lock the recording on a low end computer like mine, but most of them work well.
I'm uploading the example on a slow connection. I'll come back and edit this with a link to it when it is finished.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3xmS-hM-Qk

It is not the most elegant solution, but it allows me to add the VLC effects easily to an Openshot edit session.

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”