UPNP server detection speed

iOS, iPad, iPhone, tvOS specific usage questions
lesmikesell
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

UPNP server detection speed

Postby lesmikesell » 03 Mar 2014 20:53

I've been using ios vlc with the Serviio DLNA server with fairly good results. However, it takes some random amount of time up to about 5 minutes after starting vlc to locate the servers on my network. Is there any way to speed this up? By contrast, the Mac/window versions locate the servers quickly, but instead take a very, very long time before you can open the contents. I assume they are loading caching the full depth of the directory listing before they let you go on even though the top level just has three item to display. But, the ios version seems to be loading on demand so it may be some other issue.

fkuehne
Developer
Developer
VLC version: 0.4.6 - present
Operating System: Darwin

Re: UPNP server detection speed

Postby fkuehne » 03 Mar 2014 22:25

We are not pinging the available servers often again. Some broadcast their availability really often (so they appear fast), while others notify the network only every 5 minutes.

This is covered by ticket 10811.
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne
Medic. VLC developer for appleOS since before you were born.
Blog: https://www.feepk.net

Coronel
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Coronel » 20 Mar 2014 22:48

I've been using ios vlc with the Serviio DLNA server with fairly good results. However, it takes some random amount of time up to about 5 minutes after starting vlc to locate the servers on my network. Is there any way to speed this up? By contrast, the Mac/window versions locate the servers quickly, but instead take a very, very long time before you can open the contents. I assume they are loading caching the full depth of the directory listing before they let you go on even though the top level just has three item to display. But, the ios version seems to be loading on demand so it may be some other issue.

Good evening friend. For your information, I realize that you can use VLC + Servvio successfully. I read something about, but I did and redid and could not. Since you got it, in spite of being having some diffculties with respect to speed.
But anyway, what you got I could not. Please could you tell me step by step how turorial on how I can use VLC + Serviio, configuring and etc?

I use Serviio 1.4 Pro Please help me>

lesmikesell
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby lesmikesell » 21 Mar 2014 04:40

If serviio is running on the same LAN, all you should have to do in vlc is touch the 'local network' button and wait (and wait, sometimes several minutes) and the serviio icon should show up and when you touch that, you can navigate its contents. Do you have other clients working with serviio - or are you getting that far but not able to play the content?

[edit] A couple of other things: serviio doesn't have a profile to match ios vlc. For the moment I have transcoding turned off completely - the content it is serving is mostly compatible anyway, but I did notice that having an mp4 with DTS audio caused a problem with vlc when it hit that entry listing the folder directory.

Coronel
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Coronel » 21 Mar 2014 23:06

If serviio is running on the same LAN, all you should have to do in vlc is touch the 'local network' button and wait (and wait, sometimes several minutes) and the serviio icon should show up and when you touch that, you can navigate its contents. Do you have other clients working with serviio - or are you getting that far but not able to play the content?

[edit] A couple of other things: serviio doesn't have a profile to match ios vlc. For the moment I have transcoding turned off completely - the content it is serving is mostly compatible anyway, but I did notice that having an mp4 with DTS audio caused a problem with vlc when it hit that entry listing the folder directory.

Let's get this straight :

My computer sees the Philips Smart TV .

My Philips Smart TV also sees Serviio on the computer and added folders .

Now that tells you it's just I open VLC and click on " Local Area Network " and wait.

But what do you mean?

1 - We know that the Serviio starts with windows , then it is already running.
2 - Being running, you just go in Smart TV > Serviio > and choose Folder > and or sub folders > where is the file you want. Then click on it and it starts either video, audio or images . ( Even if this not using VLC ) .

Now how to use VLC ?

Do step 2 above ?

Ie , as the Serviio starts with windows , so it's just open VLC and click on " Local Area Network " ?

Before , immediately after opening VLC, would not have to choose the desired file and then is that if you click on " Local Area Network " ?

Sorry , I got confused .

I saw the topic friend: " Vintila " in linck :
http://forum.serviio.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5620 # p40545

You understand and or understand?

It seems he added Serviio on " playlist" of VLC . How did he do ?

Be the topic of him and his , not yet understood . Sorry do not want to abuse your patience . But besides you answer these questions above , could still help me more please ?
Thank you.

lesmikesell
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby lesmikesell » 22 Mar 2014 01:10

Now I'm confused too - your link showed a windows version of vlc, but I have been talking about the ios/ipad version. However it shouldn't matter. When you touch/click "local network" serviio should just show up (on either version) and then you should be able to navigate the content just like on the tv. You may have trouble playing the content without a proper profile for serviio, but it sounds like you haven't gotten that far yet. The ipad version can be very slow at displaying the server icon but navigates quickly once the server is located. The windows version shows the server quickly but if you have a large number of shared files it can take a very long time for it to display the folders to navigate.

Coronel
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Coronel » 22 Mar 2014 15:12

Now I'm confused too - your link showed a windows version of vlc, but I have been talking about the ios/ipad version. However it shouldn't matter. When you touch/click "local network" serviio should just show up (on either version) and then you should be able to navigate the content just like on the tv. You may have trouble playing the content without a proper profile for serviio, but it sounds like you haven't gotten that far yet. The ipad version can be very slow at displaying the server icon but navigates quickly once the server is located. The windows version shows the server quickly but if you have a large number of shared files it can take a very long time for it to display the folders to navigate.

Thanks for the feedback.
Well friend, I actually just added 01 file to test the information from your post and the post friend "Vintila" in the:

http://forum.serviio.org/ viewtopic.php? f = 5 & t = 5620 # p40545

Still unable. I use Windows 8 64-bit. I have no problem with nehum VLC Media Player using it on the computer. My great difficulty is in use VLC playing the media files for the Smart TV Philips home network.

I suppose the problem is in that I do not know how to configure this mode. And I think that's what's missing me to accomplish what you told us in this post and in the post "Vintila".

Then you could teach me step by step through a tutorial SETTING VLC MEDIA PLAYER to use this so that you are "Vintila" informs us in his posts / topic, please?

thank you

lesmikesell
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby lesmikesell » 22 Mar 2014 23:13

There is really nothing to set. Your local DLNA server(s) should just show up when you click the local network option. However if you are using windows, you might be better off doing a file share and mapping it from the computer running vlc. With the ipad version that is not an option, so you have to use DLNA. It is possible you have windows firewall set to block DLNA - I don't know much about windows 8.

Return to “VLC for iOS, iPadOS and Apple TV”