first section of dvd does not play

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
bobw
New Cone
New Cone

first section of dvd does not play

Postby bobw » 17 Feb 2014 06:00

I've noticed that for a movie DVD, I do not see the very beginning. As in annoying messages I don't want to seeand not so annoying studio logos that I do want to see. Think not seeing the lion roar for MGM. And for TV episodes, play will start not after the beginning, but dead cold at the first menu, or at the first submenu, if there is one. Play might start with the first episode. Is there a way to get VLC to play from the very beginning? I haven't seen many messages about this, only one response about episodic dvds, but this happens too many times. FYI, MPC and WMPLayer start at the beginning, so I think this is a VLC feature.

lbyler
New Cone
New Cone

Re: first section of dvd does not play

Postby lbyler » 16 Mar 2014 23:36

I regret the "me too" post, but bobw's OP is the only one I can find on this subject. His is dated one month ago, but this issue has been confounding me ever since I started using VLC (1.0.1, July 2009).

I'm a video hobbyist, making DVDs for local community theater groups. They are region-free (or more properly, all-region) with no DRM. My first play is always an uninterruptable 10-second copyright notice, whose end action is the main menu. But in VLC that notice is skipped and the main menu is the first thing presented.

I can find no setting that allows me to display that notice, let alone one that will display it for each inserted DVD. Is this a bug or by design? Are there any plans to change it?

kodela
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 2.2.4
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: first section of dvd does not play

Postby kodela » 16 Mar 2014 23:59

Uncheck in "Advanced Preferences - Input / Codecs - Access modules - DVD with menus" the option "Start directly in menu".

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”