Please restore manual stereo mode option

Feature requests for VLC.
Rasvjet
New Cone
New Cone

Please restore manual stereo mode option

Postby Rasvjet » 07 Mar 2014 22:59

I've recently upgraded my VLC and the feature which had enabled manual switching into stereo is gone (there is a "stereo mode" option instead but it's inactive). I really need this feature, because I'm using one of my 5.1 channels for headphones and due to this I sometimes end up with the dialogue track being too quiet unless I switch to stereo mode. Any chances of restoring the feature?

PS. My VLC is in Polish so I've no idea what was the feature's proper name. Sorry about that. I hope my description was clear enough.

grivy
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Please restore manual stereo mode option

Postby grivy » 14 Mar 2014 22:54

Yeah.. a lot of people need this.

The answer we got from the devs is basically: This functionality was original meant to solve something else. The something else has now been solved differently, thus the functionality is removed. That the functionality is useful in many other cases is not of interest to the devs.

There are workarounds which require a lot of effort every time you'd be switching to your headphones and back, so I'd recommend just reinstalling an older version of VLC.

Rasvjet
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Rasvjet » 15 Mar 2014 01:01

Well, this stinks ;/ If users find a function useful, what does it matter what they are using it for?

My headphones are constantly plugged into a switcher, so I don't need to switch between speakers and headphones, but the switcher takes up on of the speaker channels... Any idea where I can dl the older version?

Rasvjet
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Rasvjet » 15 Mar 2014 18:25

Thank you, but I need win64 (sorry, I should've specified that in the first place).

grivy
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby grivy » 15 Mar 2014 23:41

Rasvjet
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Rasvjet » 16 Mar 2014 15:11

Great! Thanks a lot. It's a pity, though, that the users have to resolve to such measures just because the devs' won't give a damn...

grivy
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby grivy » 16 Mar 2014 18:44

Well, it's a community project ,(most) devs don't get payed.
There is sadly also a tendency to say: if you want it do it yourself. Which effectively means, learn how to code, learn how things are done in VLC, code it and then hope it gets accepted. Obviously in-feasibly for a user already taking the time to just provide helpful feedback (possibly to multiple programs..).
I guess we should be glad with the devs we have, these 2 things are just a bit weird.

Rasvjet
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Rasvjet » 17 Mar 2014 12:56

It would be slightly different if we were talking about a yet non-existent function, but here it's sth that has been already coded and then removed. Oh well...

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”