RTP Stream and Play

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Apaco
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

RTP Stream and Play

Postby Apaco » 12 Mar 2014 18:00

Hello. I have successfully streamed and viewed both UDP and RTSP but cannot get RTP working. I think it's my playback syntax but I'm not certain.

I am stream with "vlc -vvv g:\NERDS.ts :sout=#rtp{dst=239.5.5.5,port=5004,sap,name=stream1} :sout-keep"

I've tried playing the stream using the following:
vlc rtp://@239.5.5.5:5004
vlc rtp://@239.5.5.5:5004/stream1
vlc rtp://239.5.5.5:5004
vlc rtp://239.5.5.5:5004/stream1

Any guidance would be appreciated.

martinleewin
New Cone
New Cone

Re: RTP Stream and Play

Postby martinleewin » 14 Mar 2014 21:31

I have found it more assured to specify all the relevant parameters vs. relying on defaults and prefs, because it can be impossible to have prefs meeting all of your use cases. Options specified in command lines override defaults and prefs, giving better control over the whole mess.

You did not specify a muxer, so VLC will try to go by your Prefs or pick one for you, that could be the holdup. And if it can't figure out what PID numbers to use, it guesses and produces an undecodable stream.

Try with:
{mux=ts{pid-video=256,pid-audio=257},dst=

Numbers above are examples, and not always important what they are. Omitting them requires your MPEG-TS prefs (correctly) specify default #s or use the file's #s by way of "Set PID to ID of ES". (I must admit I have not 100% succeeded in getting these exactly as desired for UDP, but the same principles should apply to RTP)

Good Luck, because nobody here seems to know or care much about TS streaming to reply to my posts for help.

markn62
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: RTP Stream and Play

Postby markn62 » 20 Mar 2014 19:28

I'd just put mux=ts, ahead of dst= and call it good.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”