how can i save the playlist info of video file

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
cwong668
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

how can i save the playlist info of video file

Postby cwong668 » 21 Jan 2014 08:42

hi,
i found the playlist title info is not the same as the video file name ... so i right click on the video file in the playlist ... updated the playlist title info by selecting the information tag ... i click save after the updated ... but it seems it can not save the updated title info to the video file ... because i see the same title info after i reopen the video file...
i like to ask how i can save the updated title info into the video file? ... please advise...
cheers,

kodela
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 2.2.4
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: how can i save the playlist info of video file

Postby kodela » 21 Jan 2014 12:25

You must save the playlist.

cwong668
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby cwong668 » 21 Jan 2014 20:43

kodela,
i did save the playlist by hitting the "Save Metadata" in the "information" menu but it still did not save the updated title info into the video file ... i reopen the video file and the title info did not change - same old title info...
what did you mean exactly "you must save the playlist"? ... can you provide the details in the update of the title info in playlist?...
cheers,

kodela
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby kodela » 21 Jan 2014 22:47

Metadata for a video are, in contrast to mp3 files, not stored in the video file, they are stored in the cache of the VLC, or in the playlist.

cwong668
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby cwong668 » 22 Jan 2014 00:43

how can i keep the updated title info in the video file? ... any method?...
why certain files vlc will display the video file name the same as the title info in the playlist?...
why certain files vlc will display the title info in the playlist and not the video file name?...
how can i make both the title info in the playlist the same as the video file name?...
please advise...
cheers,

kodela
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby kodela » 22 Jan 2014 11:09

Metadata can be stored only in a few video formats.

When you specify for each video in the playlist the title of the video and then save the playlist, you always have the specified title for all videos in this playlist.

cwong668
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby cwong668 » 22 Jan 2014 16:13

the video file format is mkv format...
i only wish to have the title info in the playlist the same as the video file name...
or how can i save the "updated title info into the video file"? ... i do not want to save the "only playlist"...
any third party software can make title info in the playlist the same as the video file name and save accordingly if vlc can not do this function?...
please advise...
cheers,

kodela
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby kodela » 22 Jan 2014 19:01

I do not understand you.
Do you want that in the playlist always the name of the file will be displayed or, should be displayed the title?

cwong668
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby cwong668 » 22 Jan 2014 20:56

yes, i prefer to have the video file name to be displayed in the playlist for all the video files...
i have files displayed the video file name in the playlist...
i also have few video files which displayed a different title in the playlist, not the same as the video file name ... so i wish to correct it...
please advise...
cheers,

mederi
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 2.0.8
Operating System: Windows Vista/XP

Postby mederi » 23 Jan 2014 14:57

mkvpropedit within mkvtoolnix: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MKVtoolnix
http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoo ... pedit.html
Removing all tags requires leaving out the file name:

Code: Select all

$ mkvpropedit movie.mkv --tags all:
JMkvpropedit, a batch GUI for mkvpropedit: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=163753

--- EDIT ---

Code: Select all

mkvpropedit movie.mkv -d title

kodela
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby kodela » 23 Jan 2014 15:23

Yes, I have you thoroughly misunderstood.

You have wrote:
"so i right click on the video file in the playlist ... updated the playlist title info by selecting the information tag ... i click save after the updated ... but it seems it can not save the updated title info to the video file ... because i see the same title info after i reopen the video file...
i like to ask how i can save the updated title info into the video file?"
"Title" is for me the name of a video object, for example, "Bartoli in Italy" and not the name of the video file.
The name of a video file may be, for example, "Bartoli.mp4".
But you have with "title" the column heading "Title" in the playlist meant.

The VLC checks for the entry in the "Title" column, whether he finds a title information for the object.

A title information can be in the object file, typical for the tags in the MP3 files, or in the playlist.
For videos can record such information only a few formats.

If no title information was found, the VLC wearing the file name.

You have title information for your video files written, which must now be removed:

- You make a right click on the video file in the playlist,
- updated the playlist title info by selecting for "Title" to nothing (""),
- click save after the updated,
- save a new playlist.

greeting

cwong668
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby cwong668 » 23 Jan 2014 22:14

kodela,
i understood now that the vlc will use the file name if no title information is found...
i understood the title information must be removed in order for vlc to use the file name...
i open the video file and make a right click on the video file in the playlist...
select "information" option ... "media information" screen pop up ... i remove "ALL INFO" in the title section ... hit "SAVE METADATA" ... the title section is BLANK in the playlist...
the problem i have is there is no way to save to video file?...
i close "media information" screen ... quit vlc ... reopen the video file and the same info remains in the title section of the playlist ... it is not BLANK in the title section of the playlist...
i DO NOT understand you said "SAVE A NEW PLAYLIST" ... how to save a new playlist and will update the info in the video file?...
please advise...
cheers,

cwong668
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby cwong668 » 23 Jan 2014 22:31

mederi,
i downloaded the program from http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MKVtoolnix and installed and run...
i could change the File/segment title info to BLANK in the Global tag...
vlc uses the file name in the title section of the playlist...
but i need to run "Start muxing" in order to save the File/segment title info to BLANK...
is there a way that i do not need to run "Start muxing" ... i am afraid to "start muxing" will create defects to the original video file...
this is a very good program and i need time to understand all the functions and how to use it...
thanks for your help...
cheers,

kodela
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby kodela » 24 Jan 2014 14:43

Yes, I have seen that some video container formats allow the metadata in the described manner delete, but in others it does not work.

In the latter case, you can write the file name as the title in the metadata. Or you can search with a hex editor in the file and remove the metadata.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”