Retina display and video playback

macOS specific usage questions
Platinumjsi
New Cone
New Cone

Retina display and video playback

Postby Platinumjsi » 15 Jan 2014 23:57

Ok my impression with video playback on retina displays was that any content inside the player would output at its native res rather than the scaled res of the desktop?

However when I fire up a 1080p blu ray rip VLC full screens? Im running the scaled 1680 x 1050 res so if that were a standard screen then full screening a 1080p video would be right? however this is a 1600p screen.

My expectations were that when firing up the player it would load in a window 1080 pixels high?

Clicking normal size does nothing at all.

Thanks

fkuehne
Developer
Developer
VLC version: 0.4.6 - present
Operating System: Darwin

Re: Retina display and video playback

Postby fkuehne » 17 Jan 2014 01:20

Well well well, 1080p video is 1080 pixels high, so it can't open such a window on 1050 screen, especially since there is a small overhead for the window title and the controls. It will be slightly adapted. Scaled resolution is no actual retina resolution so won't see the pixel-perfect 1-on-1 pixel mapping used for video output on retina displays.
What's actually happening is that OS X is rendering your entire screen at 3360 * 2100 and scaling it back to your physical screen dimensions. Thanks to the high pixel density, this hack is almost invisible.
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne
Medic. VLC developer for appleOS since before you were born.
Blog: https://www.feepk.net

Platinumjsi
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Retina display and video playback

Postby Platinumjsi » 17 Jan 2014 10:19

The screen is 1600p, its a Macbook with retina display so using the scaling options I have selected the 1680 x 1050 option.

The player should be able to recognise this and use pixel for pixel mapping with in the output window but its not?

Fianl cut for example does this and can output 1080p on screen as 1080 pixel high regardless of the scaled resolution selected, I assumed that since VLC was now retina aware it would do the same?

If there is no way to do this that sucks really, the point of a retina display was for better quality, this will only make the quality of video worse as its scaled as well rather than outputted as its native size?

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”