Passthrough SPDIF not working

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: Passthrough SPDIF not working

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 18 Dec 2013 11:06

First, it works fine, since you should not need the audio menu, but just the option.

Then, please share the crashing samples. What is your CPU?
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Jemborg
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Jemborg » 18 Dec 2013 12:48

Which "option" are you referring to mate? Please be specific when you tell people what they should not "need".

The crash reports were forwarded to VLC, don't worry about it.

InterClaw
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby InterClaw » 18 Dec 2013 13:12

Which "option" are you referring to mate? Please be specific when you tell people what they should not "need".

The crash reports were forwarded to VLC, don't worry about it.
The option you are referring to yourself - "Use S/PDIF when available". AFAIK that's the only way to do passthrough anyway. Of course it should be checked.

Jemborg
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Jemborg » 18 Dec 2013 14:01

As I thought.... You are aware that's under ADVANCED settings? It should be made a bit more obvious for newcomers imo... like it used to be (you could select S/PDIF under the audio menu).

The cpu (which I don't have anymore as I was doing work on it for friends) was an old AMD single core... most probably the reason for the "aberration" as it was a flippen' headache to deal with anyway. That and it's nVidia mobo chipset. I would kick it to the curb if it was mine. To be clear, both versions died on 1080p but only 2.0.8 would play 720p without crashing on this h.o.s.

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 19 Dec 2013 19:32

It is under simple preferences, you just need to select an audio output that supports S/PDIF first (not Default).
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

Jemborg
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Jemborg » 19 Dec 2013 19:53

Sorry, even if you select a supporting output, say, optical or HDMI, doesn't mean it will pass-thru digital... afraid the site admin is correct here... You have to tick the relevant setting in advanced audio.

billybag
New Cone
New Cone

Postby billybag » 23 Dec 2013 23:55

Can someone explain the fix to me like i am a complete and utter idiot. Because i am just not getting it to work. I checked "Use S/PDIF when available" in preferences. Then i tried every combination of Output Module and Device i could do. AM i missing something?

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 24 Dec 2013 16:58

You need to select DirectSound output in the preferences and check S/PDIF, then save and stop any currently playing media.

If it does not work, you may need to select a different logical output device, and ensure that no other application is holding the audio device.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

Jemborg
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Jemborg » 25 Dec 2013 01:51

Don't forget to tick the advanced>audio feature we talked about above if you want the digital sound to "pass-thru" to another decoding device.

BuckyOH
New Cone
New Cone

Postby BuckyOH » 03 Jan 2014 00:33

It still doesn't work like it should.
I get it working with some tweaking for most video. You have to tick "use spdif when available", choose the correct output module (which simply was win32 waveout), fiddled around some with directx and waveout, set it all to my audio interface having the receiver connected through spdif, and then thought I had it working. Until I launched a bluray and didn't get it to work at all.
I use Win 7 x64 , Echo Gina3g audio interface connected to my Onkyo receiver through a fibre optic cable. Which used to work fine, and still works fine in 2.0.8 ,but doesn't after that version.
Any dev any insight on this?

Jemborg
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Jemborg » 03 Jan 2014 09:34

It still doesn't work like it should.
I get it working with some tweaking for most video. You have to tick "use spdif when available", choose the correct output module (which simply was win32 waveout), fiddled around some with directx and waveout, set it all to my audio interface having the receiver connected through spdif, and then thought I had it working. Until I launched a bluray and didn't get it to work at all.
I use Win 7 x64 , Echo Gina3g audio interface connected to my Onkyo receiver through a fibre optic cable. Which used to work fine, and still works fine in 2.0.8 ,but doesn't after that version.
Any dev any insight on this?
You had 2.0.8 playing bluray disks/isos?

I used to have to use a different program for that so that's news to me. Do you need AnyDVD HD for it to work?

hurius
New Cone
New Cone

Postby hurius » 12 Jan 2014 12:40

2.1.2 not fixed yet

MiltJR111
New Cone
New Cone

Postby MiltJR111 » 18 Jan 2014 17:03

This isn't working for me on 2.1.2 either. I can literally play the video in 2.1.2, and I don't get Dolby Digital output, and then roll back to 2.0.8 and play the same file, and it immediately works. I don't believe I should have to do any additional tweaking when on 2.0.8 it just works. Hopefully this gets worked out soon, but in the meantime, I guess I'll be sticking with 2.0.8.

Jemborg
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Jemborg » 19 Jan 2014 03:58

This isn't working for me on 2.1.2 either. I can literally play the video in 2.1.2, and I don't get Dolby Digital output, and then roll back to 2.0.8 and play the same file, and it immediately works. I don't believe I should have to do any additional tweaking when on 2.0.8 it just works. Hopefully this gets worked out soon, but in the meantime, I guess I'll be sticking with 2.0.8.
Just curious. Did you try ticking the relevant box under advanced>audio?

tobisama
New Cone
New Cone

Postby tobisama » 20 Jan 2014 06:32

Hey, I just realized about this problem, I like to see movies on my pc with 2 frontal and two back speakers, so I like to change between stereo and 4.0 (for music or movies), why was this option removed?... this option was one of my favorites, it's a shame...it's going to be fixed soon?...... in the meantime .....downgrade to 2.0.8 and everything is working again....

This always happens with the software, sooner or later a crucial option is removed ....and the search for another application starts......

Ludrax
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Never Again

Postby Ludrax » 20 Jan 2014 21:59

I like to see movies on my pc with 2 frontal and two back speakers, so I like to change between stereo and 4.0 (for music or movies), why was this option removed?... this option was one of my favorites, it's a shame...it's going to be fixed soon?
Audio Device on VLC 2.0.8 and 2.1.0
An' if ain't broke, then don't try to fix it...

MiltJR111
New Cone
New Cone

Postby MiltJR111 » 22 Jan 2014 02:29

I've always had that box checked.

Jemborg
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Jemborg » 22 Jan 2014 04:36

I've always had that box checked.
No worries.

Why the heck did they change it... was it pressure from the MPAA or some such? I can't get a a straight answer.

InterClaw
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby InterClaw » 22 Jan 2014 09:10

Well, it started working for me again in 2.1.2, so maybe it's different for different hardware.

MiltJR111
New Cone
New Cone

Postby MiltJR111 » 23 Jan 2014 02:53

Well, it started working for me again in 2.1.2, so maybe it's different for different hardware.
I did figure out how to get it working, finally, but it took changing the DirectX audio settings, which was never necessary before. But since the newest version supports x265-encoded files, I'm glad I figured out a way to get it working, even though it causes some audio delay at the beginning of files.

Jemborg
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Jemborg » 23 Jan 2014 03:03

I did figure out how to get it working, finally, but it took changing the DirectX audio settings, which was never necessary before. But since the newest version supports x265-encoded files, I'm glad I figured out a way to get it working, even though it causes some audio delay at the beginning of files.
I've never had to change any DirectX settings, only repair it. What did you have to do... it might be important to someone else?

EDIT: Did you just select HDMI Digital Out or SPDIF as the system audio default?

MiltJR111
New Cone
New Cone

Postby MiltJR111 » 24 Jan 2014 17:44

I've never had to change any DirectX settings, only repair it. What did you have to do... it might be important to someone else?

EDIT: Did you just select HDMI Digital Out or SPDIF as the system audio default?
My system uses Optical Out as the system default audio device. I selected that audio device in the DirectX settings in VLC and set the output to Stereo. I have since gone back and changed the device to "Default" in the DirectX settings, and it does appear to still be working. But I have noticed that I miss half a second to a second of audio at the beginning of my audio files when playing them now.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 14 Feb 2014 16:35

It should be done in 2.1.3
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

maxscience
New Cone
New Cone

Postby maxscience » 17 Feb 2014 16:30

Doesn't work with latest OS X on HDMI passthrough, DTS surround and VLC 2.1.3

rocketskunk
New Cone
New Cone

Postby rocketskunk » 20 Mar 2014 18:17

It should be done in 2.1.3
Hi

I have upgraded to 2.1.3 and I still cannot get DTS or 5.1 to work. Whenever I pass through VLC stops working and windows closes it.

Really frustrated with this, I have been using VLC for many years without an issue. Do you have any ideas what is happening here.

I am using a ASUS DGX soundcard connected to Yamaha RX-V620RDSAV receiver via optical.

No mater how much I fiddle it just won't work.

The most frustrating thing is I rolled back to 2.0.8 but for some reason that now does exactly the same. So crashes as soon as I switch.

Please help!

Many thanks

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”