can't create playlist folders?

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
sai_justin
New Cone
New Cone

can't create playlist folders?

Postby sai_justin » 20 Nov 2013 14:17

Suddenly after the update, I can't create folders for my playlist. The option to name it appears, but then no folder shows up at the bottom of my playlist as did previously. Any suggestions? I have tons of movies and television shows and I use this to keep them organized. Thanks

kodela
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 2.2.4
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: can't create playlist folders?

Postby kodela » 20 Nov 2013 19:52

I think, folders can be created only for the media library. There a click with the right mouse in the playlist -> context menu -> create folder.

sai_justin
New Cone
New Cone

Postby sai_justin » 21 Nov 2013 04:43

Yes, that's what I meant - my mistake. Folder does not appear.

etr
New Cone
New Cone

Postby etr » 07 Mar 2016 21:05

Hi, I'm on v2.2.1 and creating folders in the media library does nothing; no folder in sight. Does this feature not really exist ?

etr
New Cone
New Cone

Postby etr » 08 Mar 2016 12:37

Can anyone tell whether said functionality exists or not ? This topic exists since 3+ years, someone must have found out since then whether said feature exists or not.
I have now upgraded to v2.2.2, and the same problem exists in that version; I create a folder in Media Library and regardless what name I give it, NO folder is created! If the idea is to use the OS' native media library, then there is no reason for VLC's own Media Library, right ? If it doesn't even support folders it should not be called Media Library (and certainly it should not pretend it does), since it is right now just a playlist, and the one being called Playlist is more specifically a play queue.

Some offtopic text: the reason I hadn't upgraded when I posted yesterday is that Menu->Help->Check for Update... told me I had the latest version of VLC (2.2.1). I don't know what's going on with VLC...

Thanks for reading!

mederi
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 2.0.8
Operating System: Windows Vista/XP

Postby mederi » 08 Mar 2016 13:15

Please report a bug at https://trac.videolan.org/vlc
The "Create Folder..." works in VLC 2.0.x
--- EDIT ---
Meanwhile you can drag&drop some external folder from your HDD. Then creating of subfolders already works.

etr
New Cone
New Cone

Postby etr » 08 Mar 2016 17:39

Thank you for the reply, but I'm tired of registering extra accounts to make a bug report. One single account should be enough in my opinion.

Since I'm not going back to 2.0.x, I suppose in addition to D&D music folders, manually editing playlist files (.pls) and D&D into the "Media Library" is the only way for me to make it work.

I haven't ried with local music, but as far as playlists containing URLs to online music/radio go, whenever I add new playlist item to the playlist file (.pls), I have to delete that playlist from the "Media Library" and then D&D back in again, otherwise the new items will not show up. And there is no menu entry or whatever to refresh the playlist either. Looking into the ml.xspf file, it's the playlist file's items that are copied, rather than the playlist file itself being linked to, so it's no surprise that I have to delete and D&D back in again for the new items (along with the old ones) to be seen in VLC. The usability sucks enormously this way. Pity.

kodela
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 2.2.4
Operating System: Windows 10

Postby kodela » 10 Mar 2016 22:16

One can with VLC 2.2.2 for the Media Library create folders.
With right-clicking on an entry in the list and, from the context menu -> Create Folder ...
Then with drag and drop objects to the new folder

mederi
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 2.0.8
Operating System: Windows Vista/XP

Postby mederi » 11 Mar 2016 12:56

You are right! It really works when right-clicking an item in media library, not the empty space.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”