TO VLC TEAM NEW 2.1.0 WONT LET ME PLAY 5.1 OR STERO WHY ???

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
mrblurayman
New Cone
New Cone

TO VLC TEAM NEW 2.1.0 WONT LET ME PLAY 5.1 OR STERO WHY ???

Postby mrblurayman » 28 Sep 2013 19:43

HI downloaded new version 2.1.0 and have tried to play files MKV and other files in 5.1 but the new VLC 2.1.0 wont display it in 5.1 and if I try to change to stero it wont let me ive had mess about with audio setting why movie is playing but nothing works :cry: why ? Even so my lap is not is not 5.1 it VLC should all ways show it as it did before but now I just can't get anything.

Ive down loaded the old version that come out AUGUST 2013 this one seem's to work fine and will play my files in 5.1 if they are in 5.1 format also I tried a DVD (REAL) one not copy that works fine to.

Can any one else confirm if you had same issue as me that u tried to play a file u had 5.1 and new VLC 2.1.0 wont play it in 5.1 or show it in display box ?
Any help or advice please do reply. Please forgive my English and spelling but im bit blind in one eye.Thank you.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: TO VLC TEAM NEW 2.1.0 WONT LET ME PLAY 5.1 OR STERO WHY

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 29 Sep 2013 18:55

You are not very clear in your request, sorry.

5.1 and stereo works here.

Check your audio device in the menu.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

mrblurayman
New Cone
New Cone

Postby mrblurayman » 30 Sep 2013 16:28

Hi what im saying is this new version VLC 2.1.0 it wont let me display 5.1 or streo when movie is playing even thou the movie is in 5.1 I did what u have said goto tools and pref and do rest but nothing still happens after.This a bran new laptop 2 days old.Ive also tried on 2 other laptops and a friends computer and at one internet café and its just the same nothing happens I don't get 5.1 sorry and don't understand why or what else to sorry.Thank you.

mrblurayman
New Cone
New Cone

Postby mrblurayman » 30 Sep 2013 16:37

30th Sep 2013 3pm UK ok just tried again I see movie playing but under AUDIO ALL I can see is DEFAULT AND SPEAKERS THAT SAY REALTEK HD AUDIO and UNDER STERO ALL I CAN SEE IS STERO AND nothing to change it to 5.1.Thank u.

mrblurayman
New Cone
New Cone

Postby mrblurayman » 30 Sep 2013 17:29

Hi so ive just spent 1 HOUR IN PC WORLD with my new laptop they did all test my laptop is fine we tried the new VLC 2.1.0 but I just get it to display or play and files I have in 5.1 surround. also they did a test 3 other laptops and it was just the same.They told me it the VLC that has the fault and they wont just me change my laptop as my is not faulty. im now stuck with old vlc version that does 5.1 as im unable to use latest version sorry and thank u.

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 01 Oct 2013 10:56

Maybe this is the issue you're talking about:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=113976

mrblurayman
New Cone
New Cone

Postby mrblurayman » 01 Oct 2013 23:13

yes that looks right what should I do open a ticket ? or mess about with settings ? know my lucky ill mess it up lol.thank u.

mrblurayman
New Cone
New Cone

Postby mrblurayman » 01 Oct 2013 23:22

just read that but I don't have a clue what to do sorry

blurayman
New Cone
New Cone

Postby blurayman » 11 Oct 2013 19:52

Thank's a lot VLC team for not even replying to me or giving me any tips or advice or help or any feedback if new vlc 2.1.0 has been fixed I checked today 11/10/13 and it still same issue for me no 5.1 if I reset the faults under tools nothing works so I don't have a clue what I should do next.If I had my way I would come to France with my laptop.you told me last time it works fine well it does not work fine on my laptop which is brand new 1 month old. Also if anyone else is having same issue as me do reply here. also if any else here who views the forums and could me fix it id be happy to pay u.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 15 Oct 2013 12:35

To help you, we need messages, to completely understand what your problems is.
To fix this, please be sure before you start the playback to:
  1. Open: Tools -> Messages.
  2. Set Verbosity to 2
  3. Start playback to reproduce your issue
  4. Save text in a file or copy into clipboard
  5. Then paste the full resulting log here between [​code]and[​/code] (or use Pastebin.com if it's too long)
Also don't forget to name your Operating System and provide the VLC media player version.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

funky_w4
New Cone
New Cone

Postby funky_w4 » 18 Oct 2013 19:39

To help you, we need messages, to completely understand what your problems is.
To fix this, please be sure before you start the playback to:
  1. Open: Tools -> Messages.
  2. Set Verbosity to 2
  3. Start playback to reproduce your issue
  4. Save text in a file or copy into clipboard
  5. Then paste the full resulting log here between [​code]and[​/code] (or use Pastebin.com if it's too long)
Also don't forget to name your Operating System and provide the VLC media player version.
same problem here on 2.1.0. installed 2.0.8 and it allows me to change stereo mode to 5.1

and here is my cofiguration that you asking for:

1. http://pastebin.com/ckxvm4F9

2. Windows 7 x64. vlc-2.1.0-win64

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 21 Oct 2013 10:32

Everything looks fine in your logs.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

funky_w4
New Cone
New Cone

Postby funky_w4 » 22 Oct 2013 10:58

Difference between 5.1 and stereo

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 22 Oct 2013 12:02

So? This is normal.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

funky_w4
New Cone
New Cone

Postby funky_w4 » 22 Oct 2013 14:17

how this is normal when playing 5.1 audio with video makes Stereo Mode inaccessible as you see that is faded in first picture

this is normal when you can choose

and there is difference in 2.0.1 and earlier versions in Audio Device menu

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 22 Oct 2013 19:27

Stereo mode is the new name of Audio channels. The menu was only ever enabled for stereo inputs. I fail to see any functional change.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

funky_w4
New Cone
New Cone

Postby funky_w4 » 22 Oct 2013 20:56

everything is ok. then when i play video with 5.1 audio where I can change channels?

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 05 Nov 2013 21:26

Why do you want to do that?
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

JSLover
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes
VLC version: 2.1.5
Operating System: Win7

Postby JSLover » 06 Nov 2013 05:58

I fail to see any functional change.
...OK, I've been silently reading all these 5.1/stereo topics...& from the screenshots, I CAN SEE what the problem is.

In VLC < 2.1.0 (so 2.0.8)..."Audio Device" has these menu items...
  • 2 Front 2 Rear
  • Stereo
  • Mono
...(or just Stereo/Mono, for some inputs).

In VLC >= 2.1.0, it appears, from the screenshots, that "Audio Device" DOES NOT MEAN what it used to mean. Now, it literally means "the audio hardware where you want VLC to send the audio", which, admittedly is a better use of the term "Audio Device". Good change. It is a dynamic list showing the Audio Output Devices on your computer. No longer can you access the options from < 2.1.0: 5.1, 2 Front 2 Rear, Stereo, Mono. Bad Change.

Yes, from the screenshots, I can see a new "Stereo Mode" menu, but so far, no one has posted screenshots of WHAT is in that menu. If those options "5.1, 2 Front 2 Rear, Stereo, Mono" are in that menu, then Yes, I agree, there's no problem here. HOWEVER, in at least one screenshot that menu was DISABLED, meaning whatever options ARE in that menu were not available. Disabling that "Stereo Mode" menu item is the "functional change": depending on the input you can't change the "Stereo Mode" (or not, see below).

For example: open a file with 5.1 audio: now force VLC to play Mono (for one example)...you probably can't in 2.1.0 (& probably could in 2.0.8).

Note: I don't have VLC 2.1.0 for testing, so I'm only working off the screenshots. Can someone post a screenshot of the "Stereo Mode" menu, when it is open?...& tell me, under what conditions, is the "Stereo Mode" menu disabled? I think simply enabling the "Stereo Mode" menu, regardless of the input, would fix this problem (or not, see below).
Stereo mode is the new name of Audio channels.
...if that's the case, then "Stereo Mode" is not the solution. If "Stereo Mode" is the new name for "Audio Channels", then that menu only contains: Stereo, Left, Right, Reverse stereo, which is NOT the missing options: 5.1, 2 Front 2 Rear, Stereo, Mono. So, with this new info, the "functional change", is the inability to FORCE Mono (for one example) regardless of input...if the input is Stereo, you should be able to force Mono, if the input is 5.1, you should be able to force Mono. How can we force Mono in >= 2.1.0?...if "Stereo Mode" now happens to contain Mono (which it didn't before, when it was called "Audio Channels"), then How can we force 2 Front 2 Rear in >= 2.1.0?...I'm looking for ALL of those missing menu items from 2.0.8, not just Mono. I was only using Mono for my examples.

Forum Bug/Annoyance: Can you disable the 8) smiley? It's available as 8-) & :cool: & the short version, 8), triggers when you don't want it...for example, above when I said "(so 2.0.8)" & again when I said "(& probably could in 2.0.8)"...I had to hack my post to make it display the version number "2.0.8" followed by ")", instead of displaying this...
  • (so 2.0.:cool:
...if you don't know how/where to change it, I can look into it & post instructions.
"why the f*** do i need a google+ account to comment on a video?" — jawed (2013) (about YouTube's new requirement of Google+)

youtube.lua — Play YouTube videos in VLC!
Updated: Thu, Jan 15, 2015 --- 1/15/15, 7:19:19pm EST

forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=111977&p=379147#p379147
Sigh, the above can't be a link: "You cannot use certain BBCodes: [url]."...so, I can't even link back to a post on this forum?
How about this: can long-term/trusted users be allowed links in sigs?

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 06 Nov 2013 20:46

The reality of these days is that the audio hardware is shared by multiple applications and (re)mixed by the operating system. Having a channel map settings in a player makes no sense. Intrinsically, the physical channels configuration needs to be set in and by your operating system audio settings. You'll note that the "Stereo mode" menu (formerly "Audio channels") defines the interpretation of the two channels in a stereo input or the logical channels, not the physical channels.

The lack of 5.1 is due to S/PDIF being broken on Windows. The S/PDIF setting is still there and nobody is proposing to remove it.
Rémi Denis-Courmont

funky_w4
New Cone
New Cone

Postby funky_w4 » 10 Nov 2013 14:09

Note: I don't have VLC 2.1.0 for testing, so I'm only working off the screenshots. Can someone post a screenshot of the "Stereo Mode" menu, when it is open?...& tell me, under what conditions, is the "Stereo Mode" menu disabled?

Playing video with 2 channels audio ( stereo):

Playing video with 5.1 audio:

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 10 Nov 2013 14:23

Stereo Mode is only for stereo inputs, just like its previous incarnation as "Audio Channels" in VLC 2.0
Rémi Denis-Courmont

mrblurayman
New Cone
New Cone

Postby mrblurayman » 10 Nov 2013 23:21

HI I stil cant change this dam thing and don't under stand all these tec stuff sorry like I said if any is in UK near me ill be happy to pay cash to the person that can help me fix this issue my e-mail is johnmoaby1969@yahoo.co.uk

p.s for some reason I cant change the audio under AUDIO ALL I can see is DEFAULT AND SPEAKERS THAT SAY REALTEK HD AUDIO and I can change that but I don't get 5.1 I don't have a fcking clue laugh im stuck with old version of vlc that is fine with 5.1

mrblurayman
New Cone
New Cone

Postby mrblurayman » 10 Nov 2013 23:23

see that last pic above that says stero ? I have the same issue its like a dull grey I cant change it or anything and I don't understand that paste bin like or what ever it is sorry

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 15 Nov 2013 22:28

see that last pic above that says stero ? I have the same issue its like a dull grey I cant change it or anything and I don't understand that paste bin like or what ever it is sorry
So what...? The "Audio Channels" submenu was greyed out for non-stereo audio tracks in VLC 2.0 and earlier, just like the "Stereo Mode" menu is greyed out now in VLC 2.1. As far as that particuluar submenu is concerned, there are no differences other than the name.

The only functional differences is that the "Audio Devices" submenu. In VLC 1.1 and earlier, it contained a list of potential physical channel maps. This was but a historical idiosynchrasy inherited from ALSA. And it made very little sense since VLC could obviously not change the physical channel map of the audio speakers, nor could it prevent software remixing by the operating system. In VLC 2.0, it contained either the devices or the maps depending on the audio output module in use. In VLC 2.1, the "Audio devices" submenu uniformly contains the list of logical audio output devices, something VLC can actually affect.

To enable 5.1, select a 5.1 audio track (no changes), and if applicable, enable S/PDIF pass-through in the preferences (also no changes). If it does not work, it is a bug and it has pretty much nothing to do with the Audio menu.
Rémi Denis-Courmont

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”