Jerky or slow motion video in Real Video codec

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
eltouco
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 2.0.5
Operating System: Windows 7 x64

Jerky or slow motion video in Real Video codec

Postby eltouco » 10 Jun 2010 12:10

Hi all,

I ve noticed that when playing an MKV file where the video track is encoded with real video codec (at least in rv10 or rv40) that the video is most of the time jerky or have a kind of slow motion on rapid movement scene.
I've noticed it from the version where real video where introduced to the 1.05 version.
I used to have a quite old pc (pentium IV 2.4 GHZ with an ati radeon X850) so I thought it was due to a performance problem from my machine, but now i have a modern pc (core I5 570 2.66 GHZ, ATI HD 5800 series, windows seven 64 bits...) and the problem is still present while the CPU usage is at max 5% when playing this kind of file, so it is not due to performance.

sorry if this problem is already known but i couldn't find any information about it on the forum.

Thnaks for your help

Cheers

Touco

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Re: Jerky or slow motion video in Real Video codec

Postby VLC_help » 10 Jun 2010 17:17

Try 1.1.0 nightly builds, they should work a bit better.

eltouco
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby eltouco » 10 Jun 2010 20:02

I've just tried nighty build, the problem seems to be exactly the same when playing MKV file with real video.

I used to play this kind of file with Media Player Classic (using the codec real alternative) but I'd prefer not having to reinstall it on my new machine (it is not a comestic bug to me it is nearly impossible to watch a movie in that conditions)

is there an open ticket for this issue ? strange that I can find mention of this problem

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 11 Jun 2010 01:16

Can you share a sample?
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

eltouco
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby eltouco » 11 Jun 2010 10:44

Honestly I can not without causing a copyright problem :oops:

but what I could do is to find a public domain video, encode it using real video codec and put it in an MKV container, then post it on a web page for you, unless I can find that free right stuff directly on the web.

I keep you up date, (that would be great if that bug could be corrected since I would not have to use another player)

Touco

eltouco
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby eltouco » 11 Jun 2010 16:04

I add the fact that the problem is also visible on the MacOSX version, tested on a recent macbook with the current VLC release.
I'm trying to find a way to provide a sample...

eltouco
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby eltouco » 11 Jun 2010 16:23

Great, I found a sample on the web (a short sample from the movie Abyss) and I've tested it over MPC with real alternative and VLC.

Apparently It doesn't have to be in a MKV container since the problem occurs with an .rmvb file with a video track encoded with realvideo.

when looking at it you will see that in VLC the movement are not fluid, look at the beginning when the title "Abyss" is becoming bigger and bigger, it is jerky ("saccadé" in french, hope that it is the right translation)
you can also notice that in the "20th century fox" introduction by looking the way the light are moving.
everyting is fluid with MPC.

here is the sample :
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/real/VC-RV4 ... V9_FR.rmvb

eltouco
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby eltouco » 11 Jun 2010 17:55

I've investigated a bit further on the different samples on the website.
the problem doesn't seem to occur when the frame rate of the video is 30 fps but always occur when the frame rate is 25fps.

I haven't noticed that before since all the movies I own are made from cinema (24 fs to 25 fps in the video conversion process) and this website also provides videos from an NTSC source (29.997 fps)

eltouco
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby eltouco » 11 Jun 2010 21:01

In VLC bugtracker I found a ticket that looks related to it, it hasn't been closed but its status changed to "invalid" (?)

http://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/2463
Once again I'm not sure if it is the same bug, or if another ticket should be open.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 12 Jun 2010 09:04

eltouco
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby eltouco » 12 Jun 2010 14:20

thanks
I had a look at the source code, since it's seem related to frame rate, I suspected something like the frame rate is not correctly read from the video data and since the default frame rate in VLC is 30 FPS that could explain why there is no problem when the vieo file is 30 fps.
In the file real.c, at line 1296 the field "frame_rate" is read from the real video data, I wanted to find real video specifications to see if it was correctly read but I coudn't find it (just found the real audio data format specifications) so i wanted to put a debug to diplay the frame rate, but I didn't feel brave enough to go in compiling VLC :?
maybe it is just simple as that.

eltouco
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby eltouco » 13 Jun 2010 16:14

Hi

I've instigated a little bit further, first, looking at the debug message, the decoding is made with FFmpeg (so the file real.c should not be concerned since it is a demuxer for real file format)
So I had a look at FFmpeg bug database.

there is a bug that it's still open and that look similar to this one

https://roundup.ffmpeg.org/issue814 (choppy playback of rv30 and rv40 video)

So the problem could be in FFmpeg and not directly in VLC code ?

Can it be confirmed by a VLC developer ?

I made a comparaison using Mplayer that also use FFmpeg for RV40 decoding, there is no problem, therefore FFmpeg must not have a real video decoding problem.
maybe the parameters passed to FFmpeg (in case of real video) are not correct ?

still to be confirmed by someone who can have a deeper look in the code than me

eltouco
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby eltouco » 15 Jun 2010 21:31

Hi,

I made new test. I suspected the movies in cause to not be played at the correct frame rate by VLC, I had this idea because in a lot of movie with Real Video track the framerate indicated (by VLC or MediaInfo) is often "weird" (sometimes 30 fps when I'm absolutly positive that the source is PAL and shoud be 25 fps, moreover Media Player Classic plays them correctly at 25 fps)

I also noticed that a lof frame were lost (shown in the statistic windows) when VLC plays these movies

So, I wanted to force VLC to play these movies at 25 fps.
I used MKVMerge and I remux all the movies by specifying 25 fps (in format->specific options)

and the resulats is great since that the movies are now perfectly played by VLC !

so, it is definetly a problem of playing at incorrected frame rate.

I hope it will help to localize the bug

Touco

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 16 Jun 2010 03:02

Can you detail what VLC was detecting before (logs and such?)
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

eltouco
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby eltouco » 16 Jun 2010 15:44

Here is a what i get in the debug windows (verbosity set to 2) when playing the original MKV file (that is before changing the frame rate) I played the video for a few seconds and then stopped it, in the statistics no images were lost. the video were jerky.

Code: Select all

qt4 debug: Using a general info windows main debug: adding item `XXX.mkv' ( C:\video\Séries\XXX.mkv ) qt4 debug: Adding a new MRL to recent ones: C:\video\Séries\XXX.mkv main debug: rebuilding array of current - root Liste de lecture main debug: rebuild done - 1 items, index -1 main debug: processing request item XXX.mkv node null skip 0 main debug: resyncing on XXX.mkv main debug: XXX.mkv is at 0 main debug: starting new item main debug: creating new input thread main debug: Creating an input for 'XXX.mkv' main debug: thread (input) created at priority 1 (../.././src/input/input.c:230) main debug: thread started main debug: using timeshift granularity of 50 MBytes main debug: using timeshift path 'C:\Users\user1\AppData\Local\Temp' main debug: `C:\video\Séries\XXX.mkv' gives access `' demux `' path `C:\video\Séries\XXX.mkv' main debug: creating demux: access='' demux='' path='C:\video\Séries\XXX.mkv' main debug: looking for access_demux module: 3 candidates qt4 debug: IM: Setting an input qt4 debug: Updating the geometry qt4 debug: Updating the geometry dvdnav warning: cannot open dvdnav main debug: TIMER module_need() : 15.000 ms - Total 15.000 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 15.000 ms) main debug: creating access '' path='C:\video\Séries\XXX.mkv' main debug: looking for access module: 5 candidates vcd debug: trying .cue file: C:\video\S?ries\XXX.cue vcd debug: could not find .cue file access_file debug: opening file `C:\video\Séries\XXX.mkv' main debug: using access module "access_file" main debug: TIMER module_need() : 0.000 ms - Total 0.000 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 0.000 ms) main debug: Using AStream*Stream main debug: pre buffering main debug: received first data after 0 ms main debug: pre-buffering done 1024 bytes in 0s - 1000000 kbytes/s main debug: looking for stream_filter module: 2 candidates main debug: TIMER module_need() : 0.000 ms - Total 0.000 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 0.000 ms) main debug: looking for stream_filter module: 1 candidate main debug: using stream_filter module "stream_filter_record" main debug: TIMER module_need() : 5.000 ms - Total 5.000 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 5.000 ms) main debug: creating demux: access='' demux='' path='C:\video\Séries\XXX.mkv' main debug: looking for demux module: 50 candidates mkv debug: | + Seek head mkv debug: | | + Seek mkv debug: | - info at 4151 mkv debug: | + Information mkv debug: | | + TimecodeScale=1000000 mkv debug: | | + Muxing Application=libebml v1.0.0 + libmatroska v1.0.0 mkv debug: | | + Writing Application=mkvmerge v4.0.0 ('The Stars were mine') built on Jun 6 2010 16:18:42 mkv debug: | | + Duration=4364329 mkv debug: | | + Date=Wed Jun 16 13:29:28 2010 mkv debug: | | + UID=660631448 mkv debug: | | + Seek mkv debug: | - tracks at 4311 mkv debug: | + Tracks mkv debug: | | + Track Entry mkv debug: | | | + Track Number=1 mkv debug: | | | + Track UID=4093381452 mkv debug: | | | + Track Type=video mkv debug: | | | + Track Lacing=0 mkv debug: | | | + Track MinCache=1 mkv debug: | | | + Track CodecId=V_REAL/RV40 mkv debug: | | | + Track CodecPrivate size=34 mkv debug: | | | + Track Default Duration=33333331 mkv debug: | | | + Track Language=`fre' mkv debug: | | | + Track Video mkv debug: | | | | + width=720 mkv debug: | | | | + height=576 mkv debug: | | | | + display width=720 mkv debug: | | | | + display height=576 mkv debug: | | + Track Entry mkv debug: | | | + Track Number=2 mkv debug: | | | + Track UID=230350458 mkv debug: | | | + Track Type=audio mkv debug: | | | + Track CodecId=A_AAC mkv debug: | | | + Track CodecPrivate size=5 mkv debug: | | | + Track Default Duration=46439909 mkv debug: | | | + Track Language=`fre' mkv debug: | | | + Track Audio mkv debug: | | | | + afreq=22050 mkv debug: | | | | + achan=2 mkv debug: | | | | + aoutfreq=44100 mkv debug: | | + Track Entry mkv debug: | | | + Track Number=3 mkv debug: | | | + Track UID=1330290340 mkv debug: | | | + Track Type=audio mkv debug: | | | + Track Default=0 mkv debug: | | | + Track CodecId=A_AAC mkv debug: | | | + Track CodecPrivate size=5 mkv debug: | | | + Track Default Duration=46439909 mkv debug: | | | + Track Audio mkv debug: | | | | + afreq=22050 mkv debug: | | | | + achan=2 mkv debug: | | | | + aoutfreq=44100 mkv debug: | | + Track Entry mkv debug: | | | + Track Number=4 mkv debug: | | | + Track UID=3073922308 mkv debug: | | | + Track Type=subtitle mkv debug: | | | + Track Lacing=0 mkv debug: | | | + Track CodecId=S_VOBSUB mkv debug: | | | + Track CodecPrivate size=348 mkv debug: | | | + Track Language=`fre' mkv debug: | | | + Content Encodings mkv debug: | | | | + Content Encoding mkv debug: | | | | | + Content Compression mkv debug: | | + Track Entry mkv debug: | | | + Track Number=5 mkv debug: | | | + Track UID=3220735840 mkv debug: | | | + Track Type=subtitle mkv debug: | | | + Track Default=0 mkv debug: | | | + Track Lacing=0 mkv debug: | | | + Track CodecId=S_VOBSUB mkv debug: | | | + Track CodecPrivate size=348 mkv debug: | | | + Content Encodings mkv debug: | | | | + Content Encoding mkv debug: | | | | | + Content Compression mkv debug: | | + Track Entry mkv debug: | | | + Track Number=6 mkv debug: | | | + Track UID=3166368468 mkv debug: | | | + Track Type=subtitle mkv debug: | | | + Track Default=0 mkv debug: | | | + Track Lacing=0 mkv debug: | | | + Track CodecId=S_VOBSUB mkv debug: | | | + Track CodecPrivate size=348 mkv debug: | | | + Track Language=`ita' mkv debug: | | | + Content Encodings mkv debug: | | | | + Content Encoding mkv debug: | | | | | + Content Compression mkv debug: | | + Seek mkv debug: | | + Unknown (N7libebml8EbmlVoidE) mkv debug: | - cues at 517188684 mkv debug: | + Cues mkv debug: | - loading cues done. mkv debug: | + Preload Unknown (N7libebml8EbmlVoidE) mkv debug: | + Information mkv debug: | + Tracks mkv debug: | + Preload Unknown (N7libebml8EbmlVoidE) mkv debug: | + Cluster mkv debug: found 6 es main debug: selecting program id=0 mkv debug: original frame size vobsubs: 720x576 mkv debug: original frame size vobsubs: 720x576 mkv debug: original frame size vobsubs: 720x576 mkv debug: Starting the UI Hook main debug: thread (mkv event thread handler) created at priority 0 (../../../.././modules/demux/mkv/demux.cpp:201) main debug: using demux module "mkv" main debug: TIMER module_need() : 5.000 ms - Total 5.000 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 5.000 ms) main debug: thread started main debug: looking for a subtitle file in C:\video\Séries\ main debug: looking for decoder module: 36 candidates avcodec debug: libavcodec initialized (interface 0x343100) avcodec debug: using direct rendering avcodec debug: ffmpeg codec (Real Video 4.0) started main debug: using decoder module "avcodec" main debug: TIMER module_need() : 50.000 ms - Total 50.000 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 50.000 ms) main debug: thread (decoder) created at priority 0 (../.././src/input/decoder.c:315) main debug: thread started main debug: looking for decoder module: 36 candidates quicktime debug: failed loading QuickTime.qts quicktime error: cannot initialize QT main debug: using decoder module "faad" main debug: TIMER module_need() : 0.000 ms - Total 0.000 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 0.000 ms) main debug: thread (decoder) created at priority 2 (../.././src/input/decoder.c:315) main debug: thread started main debug: looking for decoder module: 36 candidates avcodec debug: libavcodec already initialized main debug: using decoder module "spudec" main debug: TIMER module_need() : 0.000 ms - Total 0.000 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 0.000 ms) main debug: thread (decoder) created at priority 0 (../.././src/input/decoder.c:315) main debug: thread started spudec debug: invalid starting packet (size < 4 or pts <=0) spudec debug: spu size: 0, i_pts: 0 i_buffer: 128 main debug: idx1=-1(en) idx2=-1(fr) main debug: idx1=-1(it) idx2=-1(fr) main debug: `C:\video\Séries\XXX.mkv' successfully opened main debug: Buffering 0% main debug: Buffering 0% main debug: no usable vout present, spawning one main debug: Buffering 0% main debug: Buffering 26% main debug: Buffering 27% main debug: Buffering 53% main debug: Buffering 53% main debug: Buffering 80% main debug: Buffering 80% main debug: Stream buffering done (320 ms in 0 ms) main debug: looking for text renderer module: 2 candidates faad warning: decoded zero sample faad debug: AAC SBR (channels: 2, samplerate: 44100) main debug: thread (fontlist builder) created at priority 0 (../../.././modules/misc/freetype.c:480) freetype debug: using fontsize: 2 main debug: thread started main debug: using text renderer module "freetype" main debug: TIMER module_need() : 0.000 ms - Total 0.000 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 0.000 ms) freetype debug: Building font database... freetype debug: Finished building font database. freetype debug: Took 0 microseconds main debug: looking for video filter2 module: 20 candidates main debug: thread ended swscale debug: 32x32 chroma: YUVA -> 16x16 chroma: YUVA with scaling using Bicubic (good quality) main debug: using video filter2 module "swscale" main debug: TIMER module_need() : 0.000 ms - Total 0.000 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 0.000 ms) main debug: looking for video filter2 module: 20 candidates yuvp debug: YUVP to YUVA converter main debug: using video filter2 module "yuvp" main debug: TIMER module_need() : 5.000 ms - Total 5.000 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 5.000 ms) main debug: window size: 720x576 main debug: looking for video output module: 7 candidates direct3d debug: creating Vout EventThread main debug: thread (Vout Events Thread) created at priority 0 (../../../.././modules/video_output/msw/direct3d.c:218) main debug: thread started direct3d debug: DirectXCreateWindow main debug: looking for hwnd module: 3 candidates qt4 debug: requesting video... qt4 debug: Updating the geometry qt4 debug: Updating the geometry qt4 debug: Updating the geometry qt4 debug: Updating the geometry qt4 debug: Updating the geometry qt4 debug: Updating the geometry qt4 debug: Updating the geometry qt4 debug: Updating the geometry qt4 debug: Updating the geometry qt4 debug: Updating the geometry qt4 debug: Updating the geometry qt4 debug: Updating the geometry qt4 debug: Updating the geometry qt4 debug: Updating the geometry qt4 debug: Updating the geometry qt4 debug: Updating the geometry qt4 debug: Video was requested -1, -1 qt4 debug: Video is resizing to: 720 576 qt4 debug: Updating the geometry main debug: using hwnd module "qt4" main debug: TIMER module_need() : 370.000 ms - Total 370.000 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 370.000 ms) direct3d debug: created video sub-window direct3d debug: Vout EventThread running direct3d debug: disabling screen saver main debug: using video output module "direct3d" main debug: TIMER module_need() : 405.000 ms - Total 405.000 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 405.000 ms) main debug: Deinterlacing available direct3d debug: Direct3D device adapter successfully initialized direct3d debug: selected surface pixel format is YUY2 direct3d debug: 1 Direct3D pictures created successfully direct3d debug: Direct3D scene created successfully main debug: got 1 direct buffer(s) main debug: pic render sz 720x576, of (0,0), vsz 720x576, 4cc I420, ar 5:4, sar 1:1, msk r0x0 g0x0 b0x0 main debug: pic in sz 720x576, of (0,0), vsz 720x576, 4cc I420, ar 5:4, sar 1:1, msk r0x0 g0x0 b0x0 main debug: pic out sz 720x576, of (0,0), vsz 720x576, 4cc YUY2, ar 5:4, sar 1:1, msk r0x0 g0x0 b0x0 main debug: looking for video filter2 module: 20 candidates main debug: using video filter2 module "i420_yuy2_sse2" main debug: TIMER module_need() : 0.000 ms - Total 0.000 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 0.000 ms) main debug: indirect render, mapping render pictures 0-15 to system pictures 1-16 main debug: creating aout main debug: looking for audio output module: 3 candidates aout_directx debug: OpenAudio main debug: End of video preroll main debug: Received first picture freetype debug: using fontsize: 36 aout_directx debug: found device: P?riph?rique audio principal aout_directx debug: found device: Haut-parleurs (VIA High Definition Audio) aout_directx debug: found device: Digital Output Device (HDMI TX0) (VIA High Definition Audio) aout_directx debug: found device: SPDIF Interface (TX1) (VIA High Definition Audio) main debug: looking for video blending module: 1 candidate blend debug: chroma: YUVA -> YUY2 main debug: using video blending module "blend" main debug: TIMER module_need() : 0.000 ms - Total 0.000 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 0.000 ms) main debug: Post-processing available qt4 debug: Qt: Entering Fullscreen aout_directx debug: device supports 2 channels (DEFAULT!) aout_directx debug: device supports 1 channel aout_directx debug: Windows says your SpeakerConfig is stereo aout_directx debug: creating DirectSoundThread main debug: thread (DirectSound Notification Thread) created at priority 15 (../../.././modules/audio_output/directx.c:427) main debug: using audio output module "aout_directx" main debug: TIMER module_need() : 245.000 ms - Total 245.000 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 245.000 ms) main debug: thread started aout_directx debug: DirectSoundThread ready main debug: output 's16l' 44100 Hz Stereo frame=1 samples/4 bytes main debug: mixer 'fl32' 44100 Hz Stereo frame=1 samples/8 bytes main debug: filter(s) 'fl32'->'s16l' 44100 Hz->44100 Hz Stereo->Stereo main debug: looking for audio filter module: 24 candidates main debug: using audio filter module "converter_float" main debug: TIMER module_need() : 5.000 ms - Total 5.000 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 5.000 ms) main debug: found a filter for the whole conversion main debug: looking for audio mixer module: 3 candidates main debug: using audio mixer module "float32_mixer" main debug: TIMER module_need() : 0.000 ms - Total 0.000 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 0.000 ms) main debug: input 'fl32' 44100 Hz Stereo frame=1 samples/8 bytes main debug: looking for audio filter module: 1 candidate scaletempo debug: format: 44100 rate, 2 nch, 4 bps, fl32 scaletempo debug: params: 30 stride, 0.200 overlap, 14 search scaletempo debug: 1.000 scale, 1323.000 stride_in, 1323 stride_out, 1059 standing, 264 overlap, 617 search, 2204 queue, fl32 mode main debug: using audio filter module "scaletempo" main debug: TIMER module_need() : 0.000 ms - Total 0.000 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 0.000 ms) main debug: filter(s) 'fl32'->'fl32' 48510 Hz->44100 Hz Stereo->Stereo main debug: looking for audio filter module: 24 candidates main debug: using audio filter module "bandlimited_resampler" main debug: TIMER module_need() : 0.000 ms - Total 0.000 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 0.000 ms) main debug: found a filter for the whole conversion main debug: End of audio preroll main debug: Decoder buffering done in 690 ms main warning: PTS is out of range (-10000), dropping buffer main warning: buffer is 45923 in advance, triggering downsampling main debug: audio output is too slow (98561), trashing 50000us main debug: audio output is too slow (48561), trashing 50000us main warning: output date isn't PTS date, requesting resampling (48561) main warning: resampling stopped after 578000 usec (drift: -2112) main debug: incoming request - stopping current input main debug: dying input main debug: control type=0 main debug: control: stopping input main debug: dying input main debug: thread times: real 0m57.908082s, kernel 0m0.000000s, user 0m12.261678s avcodec debug: ffmpeg codec (Real Video 4.0) stopped main debug: removing module "avcodec" main debug: killing decoder fourcc `RV40', 0 PES in FIFO main debug: [0] 2 0 main debug: [1] 2 0 main debug: [2] 2 0 main debug: [3] 1 0 main debug: [4] 4 0 main debug: [5] 4 0 main debug: [6] 4 0 main debug: [7] 4 0 main debug: [8] 4 0 main debug: [9] 4 0 main debug: [10] 2 0 main debug: [11] 2 0 main debug: [12] 2 0 main debug: [13] 2 0 main debug: [14] 2 0 main debug: [15] 2 0 main debug: saving a free vout main warning: received buffer in the future main debug: thread times: real 0m57.908082s, kernel 0m0.015600s, user 0m0.015600s main debug: removing module "faad" main debug: killing decoder fourcc `mp4a', 3 PES in FIFO main debug: removing module "scaletempo" main debug: removing module "bandlimited_resampler" aout_directx debug: closing audio device aout_directx debug: DirectSoundThread exiting main debug: thread ended main debug: thread times: real 0m57.408081s, kernel 0m0.000000s, user 0m0.000000s main debug: removing module "aout_directx" main debug: removing module "converter_float" main debug: removing module "float32_mixer" main debug: releasing aout main debug: thread times: real 0m58.108082s, kernel 0m0.000000s, user 0m0.000000s main debug: removing module "spudec" main debug: killing decoder fourcc `spu ', 0 PES in FIFO main debug: thread ended main debug: thread times: real 0m58.203082s, kernel 0m0.000000s, user 0m0.000000s mkv debug: Stopping the UI Hook main debug: removing module "mkv" main debug: removing module "stream_filter_record" main debug: removing module "access_file" main debug: Program doesn't contain anymore ES main debug: thread ended main debug: dead input main debug: thread times: real 0m58.233082s, kernel 0m0.000000s, user 0m0.109200s main debug: destroying useless vout qt4 debug: IM: Deleting the input qt4 debug: Updating the geometry qt4 debug: Updating the geometry qt4 debug: Qt: Entering Fullscreen main debug: TIMER input launching for 'XXX.mkv' : 100.000 ms - Total 100.000 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 100.000 ms) main debug: removing module "i420_yuy2_sse2" direct3d debug: Direct3D scene released successfully direct3d debug: 1 Direct3D pictures released. direct3d debug: DirectXEventThread terminating direct3d debug: DirectXCloseWindow direct3d debug: WinProc WM_DESTROY qt4 debug: releasing video... qt4 debug: Video is not needed anymore qt4 debug: Updating the geometry main debug: removing module "qt4" main debug: thread ended main debug: thread times: real 0m58.173082s, kernel 0m0.015600s, user 0m0.000000s main debug: removing module "direct3d" main debug: removing module "blend" main debug: thread times: real 0m0.000000s, kernel 0m0.000000s, user 0m0.000000s main debug: removing module "freetype" main debug: removing module "yuvp" main debug: removing module "swscale"
Then, in the same conditions, I played a remux of the same file specifying a frame rate of 25 fps in MKVMerge, no images were lost. the video were played correctly.

Code: Select all

qt4 debug: Using a general info windows main debug: adding item `XXX.mkv' ( C:\video\Séries\XXX.mkv ) qt4 debug: Adding a new MRL to recent ones: C:\video\Séries\XXX.mkv main debug: rebuilding array of current - root Liste de lecture main debug: rebuild done - 1 items, index -1 main debug: processing request item XXX.mkv node null skip 0 main debug: resyncing on XXX.mkv main debug: XXX.mkv is at 0 main debug: starting new item main debug: creating new input thread main debug: Creating an input for 'XXX.mkv' main debug: thread (input) created at priority 1 (../.././src/input/input.c:230) main debug: thread started main debug: using timeshift granularity of 50 MBytes main debug: using timeshift path 'C:\Users\user1\AppData\Local\Temp' main debug: `C:\video\Séries\XXX.mkv' gives access `' demux `' path `C:\video\Séries\XXX.mkv' main debug: creating demux: access='' demux='' path='C:\video\Séries\XXX.mkv' main debug: looking for access_demux module: 3 candidates dvdnav warning: cannot open dvdnav main debug: TIMER module_need() : 5.000 ms - Total 5.000 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 5.000 ms) main debug: creating access '' path='C:\video\Séries\XXX.mkv' main debug: looking for access module: 5 candidates vcd debug: trying .cue file: C:\video\S?ries\XXX.cue vcd debug: could not find .cue file access_file debug: opening file `C:\video\Séries\XXX.mkv' main debug: using access module "access_file" main debug: TIMER module_need() : 0.000 ms - Total 0.000 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 0.000 ms) main debug: Using AStream*Stream main debug: pre buffering main debug: received first data after 0 ms main debug: pre-buffering done 1024 bytes in 0s - 1000000 kbytes/s main debug: looking for stream_filter module: 2 candidates main debug: TIMER module_need() : 0.000 ms - Total 0.000 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 0.000 ms) main debug: looking for stream_filter module: 1 candidate main debug: using stream_filter module "stream_filter_record" main debug: TIMER module_need() : 0.000 ms - Total 0.000 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 0.000 ms) main debug: creating demux: access='' demux='' path='C:\video\Séries\XXX.mkv' main debug: looking for demux module: 50 candidates mkv debug: | + Seek head mkv debug: | | + Seek mkv debug: | - info at 4151 mkv debug: | + Information mkv debug: | | + TimecodeScale=1000000 mkv debug: | | + Muxing Application=libebml v1.0.0 + libmatroska v1.0.0 mkv debug: | | + Writing Application=mkvmerge v4.0.0 ('The Stars were mine') built on Jun 6 2010 16:18:42 mkv debug: | | + Duration=4364329 mkv debug: | | + Date=Wed Jun 16 13:29:59 2010 mkv debug: | | + UID=1370723716 mkv debug: | | + Seek mkv debug: | - tracks at 4311 mkv debug: | + Tracks mkv debug: | | + Track Entry mkv debug: | | | + Track Number=1 mkv debug: | | | + Track UID=4093381452 mkv debug: | | | + Track Type=video mkv debug: | | | + Track Lacing=0 mkv debug: | | | + Track MinCache=1 mkv debug: | | | + Track CodecId=V_REAL/RV40 mkv debug: | | | + Track CodecPrivate size=34 mkv debug: | | | + Track Default Duration=40000000 mkv debug: | | | + Track Language=`fre' mkv debug: | | | + Track Video mkv debug: | | | | + width=720 mkv debug: | | | | + height=576 mkv debug: | | | | + display width=720 mkv debug: | | | | + display height=576 mkv debug: | | + Track Entry mkv debug: | | | + Track Number=2 mkv debug: | | | + Track UID=230350458 mkv debug: | | | + Track Type=audio mkv debug: | | | + Track CodecId=A_AAC mkv debug: | | | + Track CodecPrivate size=5 mkv debug: | | | + Track Default Duration=46439909 mkv debug: | | | + Track Language=`fre' mkv debug: | | | + Track Audio mkv debug: | | | | + afreq=22050 mkv debug: | | | | + achan=2 mkv debug: | | | | + aoutfreq=44100 mkv debug: | | + Track Entry mkv debug: | | | + Track Number=3 mkv debug: | | | + Track UID=1330290340 mkv debug: | | | + Track Type=audio mkv debug: | | | + Track Default=0 mkv debug: | | | + Track CodecId=A_AAC mkv debug: | | | + Track CodecPrivate size=5 mkv debug: | | | + Track Default Duration=46439909 mkv debug: | | | + Track Audio mkv debug: | | | | + afreq=22050 mkv debug: | | | | + achan=2 mkv debug: | | | | + aoutfreq=44100 mkv debug: | | + Track Entry mkv debug: | | | + Track Number=4 mkv debug: | | | + Track UID=3073922308 mkv debug: | | | + Track Type=subtitle mkv debug: | | | + Track Lacing=0 mkv debug: | | | + Track CodecId=S_VOBSUB mkv debug: | | | + Track CodecPrivate size=348 mkv debug: | | | + Track Language=`fre' mkv debug: | | | + Content Encodings mkv debug: | | | | + Content Encoding mkv debug: | | | | | + Content Compression mkv debug: | | + Track Entry mkv debug: | | | + Track Number=5 mkv debug: | | | + Track UID=3220735840 mkv debug: | | | + Track Type=subtitle mkv debug: | | | + Track Default=0 mkv debug: | | | + Track Lacing=0 mkv debug: | | | + Track CodecId=S_VOBSUB mkv debug: | | | + Track CodecPrivate size=348 mkv debug: | | | + Content Encodings mkv debug: | | | | + Content Encoding mkv debug: | | | | | + Content Compression mkv debug: | | + Track Entry mkv debug: | | | + Track Number=6 mkv debug: | | | + Track UID=3166368468 mkv debug: | | | + Track Type=subtitle mkv debug: | | | + Track Default=0 mkv debug: | | | + Track Lacing=0 mkv debug: | | | + Track CodecId=S_VOBSUB mkv debug: | | | + Track CodecPrivate size=348 mkv debug: | | | + Track Language=`ita' mkv debug: | | | + Content Encodings mkv debug: | | | | + Content Encoding mkv debug: | | | | | + Content Compression mkv debug: | | + Seek mkv debug: | | + Unknown (N7libebml8EbmlVoidE) mkv debug: | - cues at 517188980 mkv debug: | + Cues mkv debug: | - loading cues done. mkv debug: | + Preload Unknown (N7libebml8EbmlVoidE) mkv debug: | + Information mkv debug: | + Tracks mkv debug: | + Preload Unknown (N7libebml8EbmlVoidE) mkv debug: | + Cluster mkv debug: found 6 es main debug: selecting program id=0 mkv debug: original frame size vobsubs: 720x576 mkv debug: original frame size vobsubs: 720x576 mkv debug: original frame size vobsubs: 720x576 mkv debug: Starting the UI Hook main debug: thread (mkv event thread handler) created at priority 0 (../../../.././modules/demux/mkv/demux.cpp:201) main debug: using demux module "mkv" main debug: TIMER module_need() : 15.000 ms - Total 15.000 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 15.000 ms) main debug: thread started main debug: looking for a subtitle file in C:\video\Séries\ main debug: looking for decoder module: 36 candidates qt4 debug: IM: Setting an input qt4 debug: Updating the geometry qt4 debug: Updating the geometry avcodec debug: libavcodec initialized (interface 0x343100) avcodec debug: using direct rendering avcodec debug: ffmpeg codec (Real Video 4.0) started main debug: using decoder module "avcodec" main debug: TIMER module_need() : 50.000 ms - Total 50.000 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 50.000 ms) main debug: thread (decoder) created at priority 0 (../.././src/input/decoder.c:315) main debug: thread started main debug: looking for decoder module: 36 candidates quicktime debug: failed loading QuickTime.qts quicktime error: cannot initialize QT main debug: using decoder module "faad" main debug: TIMER module_need() : 0.000 ms - Total 0.000 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 0.000 ms) main debug: thread (decoder) created at priority 2 (../.././src/input/decoder.c:315) main debug: thread started main debug: looking for decoder module: 36 candidates avcodec debug: libavcodec already initialized main debug: using decoder module "spudec" main debug: TIMER module_need() : 5.000 ms - Total 5.000 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 5.000 ms) main debug: thread (decoder) created at priority 0 (../.././src/input/decoder.c:315) main debug: thread started spudec debug: invalid starting packet (size < 4 or pts <=0) spudec debug: spu size: 0, i_pts: 0 i_buffer: 128 main debug: idx1=-1(en) idx2=-1(fr) main debug: idx1=-1(it) idx2=-1(fr) main debug: `C:\video\Séries\XXX.mkv' successfully opened main debug: Buffering 0% main debug: Buffering 0% main debug: no usable vout present, spawning one main debug: Buffering 0% main debug: Buffering 13% main debug: Buffering 26% main debug: Buffering 40% main debug: Buffering 53% main debug: Buffering 66% main debug: Buffering 80% main debug: Buffering 93% main debug: looking for text renderer module: 2 candidates main debug: Stream buffering done (320 ms in 0 ms) faad warning: decoded zero sample faad debug: AAC SBR (channels: 2, samplerate: 44100) main debug: thread (fontlist builder) created at priority 0 (../../.././modules/misc/freetype.c:480) main debug: thread started freetype debug: using fontsize: 2 freetype debug: Building font database... main debug: using text renderer module "freetype" main debug: TIMER module_need() : 0.000 ms - Total 0.000 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 0.000 ms) freetype debug: Finished building font database. freetype debug: Took 0 microseconds main debug: thread ended main debug: looking for video filter2 module: 20 candidates swscale debug: 32x32 chroma: YUVA -> 16x16 chroma: YUVA with scaling using Bicubic (good quality) main debug: using video filter2 module "swscale" main debug: TIMER module_need() : 5.000 ms - Total 5.000 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 5.000 ms) main debug: looking for video filter2 module: 20 candidates yuvp debug: YUVP to YUVA converter main debug: using video filter2 module "yuvp" main debug: TIMER module_need() : 0.000 ms - Total 0.000 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 0.000 ms) main debug: window size: 720x576 main debug: looking for video output module: 7 candidates direct3d debug: creating Vout EventThread main debug: thread (Vout Events Thread) created at priority 0 (../../../.././modules/video_output/msw/direct3d.c:218) main debug: thread started direct3d debug: DirectXCreateWindow main debug: looking for hwnd module: 3 candidates qt4 debug: requesting video... qt4 debug: Updating the geometry qt4 debug: Updating the geometry qt4 debug: Updating the geometry qt4 debug: Updating the geometry qt4 debug: Updating the geometry qt4 debug: Updating the geometry qt4 debug: Video was requested -1, -1 qt4 debug: Video is resizing to: 720 576 qt4 debug: Updating the geometry main debug: using hwnd module "qt4" main debug: TIMER module_need() : 385.000 ms - Total 385.000 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 385.000 ms) direct3d debug: created video sub-window direct3d debug: Vout EventThread running direct3d debug: disabling screen saver main debug: using video output module "direct3d" main debug: TIMER module_need() : 415.000 ms - Total 415.000 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 415.000 ms) main debug: Deinterlacing available direct3d debug: Direct3D device adapter successfully initialized direct3d debug: selected surface pixel format is YUY2 direct3d debug: 1 Direct3D pictures created successfully direct3d debug: Direct3D scene created successfully main debug: got 1 direct buffer(s) main debug: pic render sz 720x576, of (0,0), vsz 720x576, 4cc I420, ar 5:4, sar 1:1, msk r0x0 g0x0 b0x0 main debug: pic in sz 720x576, of (0,0), vsz 720x576, 4cc I420, ar 5:4, sar 1:1, msk r0x0 g0x0 b0x0 main debug: pic out sz 720x576, of (0,0), vsz 720x576, 4cc YUY2, ar 5:4, sar 1:1, msk r0x0 g0x0 b0x0 main debug: looking for video filter2 module: 20 candidates main debug: using video filter2 module "i420_yuy2_sse2" main debug: TIMER module_need() : 0.000 ms - Total 0.000 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 0.000 ms) main debug: indirect render, mapping render pictures 0-15 to system pictures 1-16 main debug: creating aout main debug: looking for audio output module: 3 candidates aout_directx debug: OpenAudio main debug: End of video preroll main debug: Received first picture freetype debug: using fontsize: 36 aout_directx debug: found device: P?riph?rique audio principal aout_directx debug: found device: Haut-parleurs (VIA High Definition Audio) aout_directx debug: found device: Digital Output Device (HDMI TX0) (VIA High Definition Audio) aout_directx debug: found device: SPDIF Interface (TX1) (VIA High Definition Audio) main debug: looking for video blending module: 1 candidate blend debug: chroma: YUVA -> YUY2 main debug: using video blending module "blend" main debug: TIMER module_need() : 0.000 ms - Total 0.000 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 0.000 ms) aout_directx debug: device supports 2 channels (DEFAULT!) aout_directx debug: device supports 1 channel aout_directx debug: Windows says your SpeakerConfig is stereo aout_directx debug: creating DirectSoundThread main debug: thread (DirectSound Notification Thread) created at priority 15 (../../.././modules/audio_output/directx.c:427) main debug: using audio output module "aout_directx" main debug: TIMER module_need() : 20.000 ms - Total 20.000 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 20.000 ms) main debug: thread started aout_directx debug: DirectSoundThread ready main debug: output 's16l' 44100 Hz Stereo frame=1 samples/4 bytes main debug: mixer 'fl32' 44100 Hz Stereo frame=1 samples/8 bytes main debug: filter(s) 'fl32'->'s16l' 44100 Hz->44100 Hz Stereo->Stereo main debug: looking for audio filter module: 24 candidates main debug: Post-processing available main debug: using audio filter module "converter_float" main debug: TIMER module_need() : 5.000 ms - Total 5.000 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 5.000 ms) main debug: found a filter for the whole conversion main debug: looking for audio mixer module: 3 candidates main debug: using audio mixer module "float32_mixer" main debug: TIMER module_need() : 0.000 ms - Total 0.000 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 0.000 ms) main debug: input 'fl32' 44100 Hz Stereo frame=1 samples/8 bytes main debug: looking for audio filter module: 1 candidate scaletempo debug: format: 44100 rate, 2 nch, 4 bps, fl32 scaletempo debug: params: 30 stride, 0.200 overlap, 14 search scaletempo debug: 1.000 scale, 1323.000 stride_in, 1323 stride_out, 1059 standing, 264 overlap, 617 search, 2204 queue, fl32 mode main debug: using audio filter module "scaletempo" main debug: TIMER module_need() : 0.000 ms - Total 0.000 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 0.000 ms) main debug: filter(s) 'fl32'->'fl32' 48510 Hz->44100 Hz Stereo->Stereo main debug: looking for audio filter module: 24 candidates main debug: using audio filter module "bandlimited_resampler" main debug: TIMER module_need() : 0.000 ms - Total 0.000 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 0.000 ms) main debug: found a filter for the whole conversion main debug: End of audio preroll main debug: Decoder buffering done in 480 ms main warning: PTS is out of range (-10000), dropping buffer main warning: buffer is 45923 in advance, triggering downsampling qt4 debug: Qt: Entering Fullscreen main warning: output date isn't PTS date, requesting resampling (60812) main warning: resampling stopped after 758000 usec (drift: -14974) main debug: incoming request - stopping current input main debug: dying input main debug: control type=0 main debug: control: stopping input main debug: dying input main debug: thread times: real 0m59.058083s, kernel 0m0.031200s, user 0m12.261678s avcodec debug: ffmpeg codec (Real Video 4.0) stopped main debug: removing module "avcodec" main debug: killing decoder fourcc `RV40', 0 PES in FIFO main debug: [0] 2 0 main debug: [1] 2 0 main debug: [2] 2 0 main debug: [3] 2 0 main debug: [4] 4 0 main debug: [5] 2 0 main debug: [6] 2 0 main debug: [7] 2 0 main debug: [8] 4 0 main debug: [9] 4 0 main debug: [10] 2 0 main debug: [11] 4 0 main debug: [12] 4 0 main debug: [13] 2 0 main debug: [14] 1 0 main debug: [15] 2 0 main debug: saving a free vout main debug: thread times: real 0m59.058083s, kernel 0m0.000000s, user 0m0.015600s main debug: removing module "faad" main debug: killing decoder fourcc `mp4a', 0 PES in FIFO main debug: removing module "scaletempo" main debug: removing module "bandlimited_resampler" aout_directx debug: closing audio device aout_directx debug: DirectSoundThread exiting main debug: thread ended main debug: thread times: real 0m58.678083s, kernel 0m0.000000s, user 0m0.015600s main debug: removing module "aout_directx" main debug: removing module "converter_float" main debug: removing module "float32_mixer" main debug: releasing aout main debug: thread times: real 0m59.168083s, kernel 0m0.000000s, user 0m0.000000s main debug: removing module "spudec" main debug: killing decoder fourcc `spu ', 0 PES in FIFO main debug: thread ended main debug: thread times: real 0m59.303084s, kernel 0m0.000000s, user 0m0.000000s mkv debug: Stopping the UI Hook main debug: removing module "mkv" main debug: removing module "stream_filter_record" main debug: removing module "access_file" main debug: Program doesn't contain anymore ES main debug: thread ended main debug: dead input main debug: thread times: real 0m59.323084s, kernel 0m0.031200s, user 0m0.156001s main debug: destroying useless vout main debug: removing module "i420_yuy2_sse2" direct3d debug: Direct3D scene released successfully direct3d debug: 1 Direct3D pictures released. direct3d debug: DirectXEventThread terminating direct3d debug: DirectXCloseWindow direct3d debug: WinProc WM_DESTROY qt4 debug: releasing video... qt4 debug: IM: Deleting the input qt4 debug: Updating the geometry qt4 debug: Updating the geometry qt4 debug: Qt: Entering Fullscreen main debug: TIMER input launching for 'XXX.mkv' : 90.000 ms - Total 90.000 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 90.000 ms) qt4 debug: Video is not needed anymore qt4 debug: Updating the geometry main debug: removing module "qt4" main debug: thread ended main debug: thread times: real 0m59.268084s, kernel 0m0.015600s, user 0m0.000000s main debug: removing module "direct3d" main debug: removing module "blend" main debug: thread times: real 0m0.000000s, kernel 0m0.000000s, user 0m0.000000s main debug: removing module "freetype" main debug: removing module "yuvp" main debug: removing module "swscale"

spamfang1199
New Cone
New Cone

Postby spamfang1199 » 22 Jul 2010 14:49

Yeah, i can confirm the same problem using Debian. With Mplayer it plays just fine, but vlc does not. I have found a couple of *.rm's which just wont play correctly. I could provide a fine example, but this is not family-safe and also not copyright compliant. So download it only for enhancement reasons: http://tinyurl.com/2u6c6ga.

I hope you get things working correctly, since this bug buggs me since version 0.98. :cry:

Another thing that buggs me, is that i try to start vlc with --perfer-system-codecs, but it simply ignores them. Have you experienced similar problems?

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 22 Jul 2010 18:14

Real Media codecs have never been system codecs in VLC. VLC only thinks DMO codecs are system codecs.

spamfang1199
New Cone
New Cone

Postby spamfang1199 » 23 Jul 2010 14:25

It seems, that it ignores not only RM system-codecs. Never managed to use the system ones. How could i verify, that i am using system-codecs, and not the vlc-ones?

But even that would not correct the RM-codec-playback-issue.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 23 Jul 2010 16:17

If you open Tools -> Messages (set Verbosity to 2) before playback, it will print some DMO messages during file opening if DMO codecs are used. But since amount of DMO codecs is very limited, VLC will in many cases use its own codecs.

xand
New Cone
New Cone

Postby xand » 18 May 2011 19:39

Hello, any updates on how to solve this ?

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 19 May 2011 12:26

I haven't seen any updates related to this. (but libav* updates in contrib might have changed something)

fbobraga
New Cone
New Cone

Postby fbobraga » 21 Jan 2012 21:05

any updates on this issue?

* it's not a Windows specifc...

eltouco
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby eltouco » 03 Nov 2013 18:56

this problem is still current in VLC latest version (2.1.0)

alex4905ab
New Cone
New Cone

Postby alex4905ab » 03 Nov 2013 19:12

ive got the first same working fine on my machine its a little jittery with media player classic on windows and its holding a flux between 20 and 22 fps with jitter of -30ms/+36ms

eltouco
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby eltouco » 05 Nov 2013 12:13

ive got the first same working fine on my machine its a little jittery with media player classic on windows and its holding a flux between 20 and 22 fps with jitter of -30ms/+36ms
Could you share your file ?

it depends of the container.
for instance if the video is contained in a MKV file where the frame rate is not specified, then you can reproduce the bug.
otherwise if you produce a MKV file where you specify the correct frame rate, then the playback is fine.

it looks like VLC can not correctly read the correct frame rate from a real video file. I'm just making assumption.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”