Mavericks shows menu bar in full screen mode

macOS specific usage questions
ava8c
New Cone
New Cone

Mavericks shows menu bar in full screen mode

Postby ava8c » 24 Oct 2013 14:22

Hi, I have a problem with mavericks and vlc 2.1.0. When I'm playing a movie in full screen mode on my second monitor and I use some app on my mac, mavericks shows the menu bar. it is very fastidious! any solution? thanks

kdean
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 2.2
Operating System: Mac OS

Re: Mavericks shows menu bar in full screen mode

Postby kdean » 24 Oct 2013 17:58

This could have to do with Apple's revised multiple displays / spaces support.

I don't have a 2nd display here, so this is just a shot in the dark, but try going to "System Preferences -> Mission Control" and deselect "Displays have separate Spaces". You may also have options I don't see here and in Displays since I don't have an 2nd display.

ava8c
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ava8c » 24 Oct 2013 18:17

This could have to do with Apple's revised multiple displays / spaces support.

I don't have a 2nd display here, so this is just a shot in the dark, but try going to "System Preferences -> Mission Control" and deselect "Displays have separate Spaces". You may also have options I don't see here and in Displays since I don't have an 2nd display.
if I do that, I will can't use my mac (first monitor), so same result!

kdean
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby kdean » 24 Oct 2013 18:45

In your VLC preferences, do you also have "Use the native fullscreen mode" under "Interface" deselected? ...and then under "Video" maybe try deselecting "Black screens in Fullscreen mode".

ava8c
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ava8c » 24 Oct 2013 19:59

In your VLC preferences, do you also have "Use the native fullscreen mode" under "Interface" deselected? ...and then under "Video" maybe try deselecting "Black screens in Fullscreen mode".
I already set it, but the "problem" is always present!

kdean
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby kdean » 24 Oct 2013 21:21

After making any of the above changes, you should restart VLC.... just making sure.

Otherwise, that's probably the limit of what I can guess at here without a 2nd display. Someone else will need to step in.

...or you can add to this ticket which seems to be about the same issue: https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/9469

kdean
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby kdean » 24 Oct 2013 21:25

Also, you might try setting it to "Use the native fullscreen mode" and select "Displays have separate Spaces" in Mission Control if you were never using that before to see if it's any better.

ava8c
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ava8c » 24 Oct 2013 23:05

Also, you might try setting it to "Use the native fullscreen mode" and select "Displays have separate Spaces" in Mission Control if you were never using that before to see if it's any better.
ok thanks, very much!

holysmoke
New Cone
New Cone

Postby holysmoke » 27 Oct 2013 22:42

Hi
I have little bit another problem: since Mavericks it doesnt shows the menubar when I have fullscreen on the 2nd monitor (TV). Only in window mode I can access to the menubar on the first monitor (Notebook). So I have to minimize the movie to select subtitle, change audio output or something like that...

woud be great if that can be "corrected"
Thanks
rafi

caipirina
New Cone
New Cone

Postby caipirina » 29 Oct 2013 05:51

I have a similar issue, first I had the problem as described above, then I ticked on 'use native OS Lion something' .. and for a while that trick worked ... but now, it shows a grey placeholder instead of the menu bar, and thus also creates a black space on the left side, same width (to keep aspect ratio of video) ... this si such a step back ... I hope that either apple or video lan can fix that ... this issue is especially visible and annoying when attaching computer to projector to watch a movie on big screen ... thanks

dfuhrmann
Developer
Developer

Postby dfuhrmann » 29 Oct 2013 12:53

Hi
I have little bit another problem: since Mavericks it doesnt shows the menubar when I have fullscreen on the 2nd monitor (TV). Only in window mode I can access to the menubar on the first monitor (Notebook). So I have to minimize the movie to select subtitle, change audio output or something like that...
I noticed that, too. Unfortunately I do not have any idea yet how it could be possible to fix this.

dfuhrmann
Developer
Developer

Postby dfuhrmann » 29 Oct 2013 12:55

I have a similar issue, first I had the problem as described above, then I ticked on 'use native OS Lion something' .. and for a while that trick worked
Please make sure that you use the same VLC version. Check in preferences if native fullscreen is still selected.

For now, the native fullscreen mode has the best integration for Mavericks and should not reveal any issues with the menu bars, so its best to use this mode.

daJules
New Cone
New Cone

Postby daJules » 29 Oct 2013 19:31

The way I managed to get rid of the persistent menubar on secondary display when entering native lion fullscreen mode on mac's VLC under Mavericks keeping separate spaces is the following:

(You'll need the Xcode package which includes a tool to edit plist files).

1. Open Applications folder.
2. Ctrl click VLC app and choose "Show Package Contents".
3. Locate "info.plist" and open it.
4. Click on "Information Property List" and click on the plus sign next to it to add a row.
5. Name the row "Application UI Presentation Mode" and change its value to 4.

Now your menubar will be auto hidden in VLC :D . I know it doesn't sound practical but it gets you rid of that annoyance.

Jamnoggin
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Jamnoggin » 30 Oct 2013 13:48

VLC 2.1.0 64bit

I'm also having this issue but with the solid grey bar (the background of the 'spaces' menu) appearing. I personally love the dual screen updates to Mavericks and if I use Quicktime to play a file in fullscreen mode it works perfectly. For reference, my desired layout is using the default Mavericks settings, to have a fullscreen video playing on my secondary desktop, and my primary desktop functioning as usual so I can browse/work.

Thanks for the Xcode insight daJules. I tried the above out but it still has the same problem.

Interestingly if VLC opens itself as a non fullscreen app, when it is put into fullscreen mode it plays as we all want it to, with no grey bar and a fully functional primary desktop workspace. BUT once you disable and then re-enable fullscreen mode the grey bar returns and stays there until you quit VLC and repeat the process.
The solid grey bar also appears from the get-go if you are opening VLC straight into fullscreen mode.

I reiterate that Quicktime has no issue with behaving as a fullscreen app on the secondary display so it is certainly possible somecrazyhow.
I just realised that most fullscreen apps (chrome, itunes) have the same problem with having a grey bar at the top in secondary display fullscreen (fullscreen finder fills the space up unless you mouse over to bring down the bar)

So really Quicktime is the only application I have tested that is able to be properly fullscreen on the secondary monitor.

amspratt
New Cone
New Cone

Postby amspratt » 03 Nov 2013 16:10

This is an obnoxious workaround for the problem, but I've found that if I go from fullscreen back to playing in a window then back to fullscreen several times the grey bar will eventually go away. This only works if using the native fullscreen support. Hopefully VideoLAN and Apple work this out shortly.

merckens
New Cone
New Cone

Postby merckens » 10 Feb 2014 18:30

If you open an application on your machine and drag its window over to your secondary monitor, the translucent menu bar will *always* show on the secondary monitor. The external monitor is a separate space (unless you've deselected that option in System Preferences, which is kind of a silly thing to do), so if you drag a window over to the second screen, the application is actually running out of your machine's space and not from the secondary monitor's space. So in the eyes of the external monitor, the focus is still on your machine's space when you're running a dragged VLC or browser window (or whatever application) in fullscreen mode on the secondary monitor. So it displays that obnoxious translucent menu bar.

So long story short (too late!), literally all you need to do - there are other ways, but this is the easiest - is close VLC, put the focus on your secondary monitor's space (by opening a finder window in that space or switching to an app already running that was opened in that space or using the dock from within that space to open VLC, etc.), and then reopen VLC from within the secondary monitor's space. Now when you go fullscreen, the menu bar won't be there, because the focus of the application is in the space it's running fullscreen in.

seriousblack
New Cone
New Cone

Postby seriousblack » 24 Mar 2014 19:15

This worked for me using VLC in Mavericks:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5476222?tstart=0

mattfleaydaly
New Cone
New Cone

Postby mattfleaydaly » 08 Oct 2014 11:17

I had a similar issue like this where on my second monitor when i would put VLC into fullscreen i would have a blank solid grey bar show at the top.

In my VLC settings i deselected the Window Decorations option in the Video tab and it seemed to solve the issue... Maybe a VLC bug perhaps???

dfuhrmann
Developer
Developer

Postby dfuhrmann » 08 Oct 2014 19:17

This issue should be fixed with VLCs upcoming 2.2 release.

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”