Why won't iTunes play demux / split audio that VLC will?

macOS specific usage questions
sapphire
New Cone
New Cone

Why won't iTunes play demux / split audio that VLC will?

Postby sapphire » 04 Oct 2013 16:34

I've succeeded in demuxing the audio from an MP4 video and producing an audio file that plays in VLC. My problem is that iTunes 10.7 won't play the same audio file. I gave the file an .mp3 extension and used Get Info to ensure iTunes is the default application for opening it. But when I double-click the file, nothing happens.

Here's the demux procedure I used in VLC:

1. File --> Convert/Stream

2. Selected MP4 input video file

3. Choose Profile --> Customize: Encapsulation = MP4/MOV; Video codec: No selection; Audio codec: Keep original audio track

4. Choose destination: xxxx.mp3

As I said, VLC plays the resulting audio file just fine, but iTunes won't.

I'm wondering if my iTunes problem has to do with my encapsulation choice. I would think MP3 (or maybe AAC) would be best, but those aren't options, and I'm unsure that the native audio format is in an MP4 anyway.
Last edited by sapphire on 05 Oct 2013 02:13, edited 1 time in total.

kdean
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 2.2
Operating System: Mac OS

Re: Why won't iTunes play demux/split audio that VLC will?

Postby kdean » 05 Oct 2013 00:30

Native audio format for an mp4 is usually an AAC so naming it .m4a instead of .mp3 may make a difference.

You can also try dropping the original file on iMediaHud to see what it's exact specs are. (https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/40255/imediahud)

You can get a small bit of that information while playing the video by viewing the Media Information Window (Command I as in Information). Switch to Codec Details and click the triangles for the different streams.

sapphire
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Why won't iTunes play demux/split audio that VLC will?

Postby sapphire » 05 Oct 2013 02:12

Native audio format for an mp4 is usually an AAC so naming it .m4a instead of .mp3 may make a difference.
That did the trick -- iTunes plays the file fine now. Thanks!
You can get a small bit of that information while playing the video by viewing the Media Information Window (Command I as in Information). Switch to Codec Details and click the triangles for the different streams.
Right, and it shows the codec is AAC. Thanks again.

Here's a side-note: I discovered that QuickTime Player can also demux the audio, using File --> Export. It offers no options (codec or bit rate) and gives me a 10.4-MB 256-kbps AAC with an .mp4 extension. The file VLC produces using "Keep original audio track" is a 3.8-MB 96-kbps AAC. The source video file is 25.8 MB.

If I use VLC's Media Information --> Statistics to monitor the bitrate while the video plays, I see approx. 600 - 800 kbps typically (that's video + audio combined). So I suspect the 96-kbps file I get from VLC with the "Keep original" etc. option is the "true" audio quality, while QuickTime Player is up-sampling.

Do you suppose anything is gained by up-sampling (which I could do with VLC, as well)? I don't see how that could add audio info that isn't present in the original, and both versions sound equally mediocre to me, but perhaps there's a benefit I'm unaware of.

kdean
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 2.2
Operating System: Mac OS

Re: Why won't iTunes play demux / split audio that VLC will?

Postby kdean » 05 Oct 2013 04:37

96 kbps is low to begin with but up-sampling will gain you nothing.

As you can see Quicktime is not actually demuxing since that would normally give you the original audio data. It's simply encoding it to a new format. Best to not re-encode an already low quality track since it could make it sound worse.

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”