VideoLAN restarts computer???

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Sokol
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Sokol » 19 Sep 2005 00:58

When I try to stream video from my capture device,VLAN restarts computer when it start streaming.In Open list in program is this line:

dshow:// :dshow-vdev="WinFast TV2000 XP WDM Video Capture" :dshow-adev="C-Media Wave Device" :dshow-size="" :dshow-config :dshow-tuner :dshow-caching=200 :dshow-chroma="" :dshow-fps=0.000000 :dshow-tuner-channel=0 :dshow-tuner-country=0 :dshow-tuner-input=1

Maybe my TV tuner card is not supported or what?

I have WinXP SP1,VLAN version 0.8.2

Hardware:AthlonXP 2500,512DDR RAM,nForce2 chipset MB,ATI Radeon 9200,WinFast TV2000 XP TV tuner card

zcot
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby zcot » 19 Sep 2005 02:25

the answer is no, -it is not possible for videolan to restart your computer. :lol:

but, sorry I don't know much about the capture.. can you run a test properly in DirectShow? and are you using a compatible format for vlc?

Sokol
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Sokol » 19 Sep 2005 21:21

How to run a test in DirectShow?

In one of the earlier versions i manage to get sound from some chanells,but now it just restarts computer.If you dont believe me,I can try to film whole process with my digital camera and post you video file

zcot
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby zcot » 20 Sep 2005 03:53

I don't know about DirectShow, maybe check their forum or something..

but I know you need to get your card properly working there.. and then vlc can do its thing.

also, :lol: I guess there's no need to debate terminology but I'm telling you vlc is not restarting your computer, it's not that I don't believe you. I only mentioned it so that you wouldn't believe with an inaccurate perception.. ;) but, it's fine, I understand the point anyway. This generally happens when something very low level happens wrong.. a driver area memory corruption or something that confuses the hardware maybe.. these could be likely cases in your situation. And yes, obviously this whole problem is kicked off by the fact that you clicked something in vlc(in a twisted way you could say YOU are restarting your computer ;) ), but it's the operating system's inability to handle the ruinous condition.

until you can know that the card is properly working with DirectShow then vlc is irrelevant.

Is there a DirectX icon in the control panel? I would guess you open that and get to a DirectShow tab.. or something with devices or something. Maybe there's a test feature there.

Isn't there some utilities supplied with your "WinFast TV2000 XP WDM Video Capture" device.. maybe something there?

Sokol
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Sokol » 20 Sep 2005 19:30

My card is working just fine with every program i tried(i have Winfast PVR program that i got with my card,and i also tried ChrisTV and everything is ok)

What i am trying to accomplish is this:

I live in a student dorm and we are all connected to 100MBit LAN network.I have already managed to multicast video files with VLAN and everything is ok.Now i am trying to multicast tv on network,because more poeple in dorm have pc then TV.So i am trying to multicast tv signal on LAN when there is something interesting on TV(like a football match) so that anyone who have pc can watch it

And i completly understand you when you say that i am the one restarting my pc,not VLAN.My second thoughts on the problem were that there was something wrong with my hardware or maybe windows,but i cant find any log files in administrative tools in control panel about the error

If there is anyone else that had successefuly managed to stream TV signal with VLAN,please contact me

Pierre V

Re: VideoLAN restarts computer???

Postby Pierre V » 27 Oct 2005 05:23

I have the same problem with my ATI TV Wonder tuner PCI card.

Have you fixed the problem

DoenerTier

Postby DoenerTier » 14 Nov 2005 13:30

I have the same problem with streaming a directshow-device:

I've tried 3 devices on 3 totally different pc's.

1. teratec tv-card (PCI)
2. USB webcam
3. Pinnacle pctv USB

vlc causes a systemreboot directly after the streaming starts.

Streaming a videofile is no problem!

cityua

I have the same problem too

Postby cityua » 16 Nov 2005 16:56

I have the same problem too...

with Logitech webcam in WinXP
system error occur and need reboot again....

is something need to set in vlc before using Capture device?

kmx
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby kmx » 17 Nov 2005 16:58

I have the same problem, playing any file will restart computer, but open streaming out it will work . I use another notebook computer , it work well.
I dot know why ?

Loki

Same Problem

Postby Loki » 23 Nov 2005 01:53

Hi,

I'm having exactly the same problem. VLC does correctly display the webcamfootage on screen, but when I try to stream my system reboots. Can anyone help me out,

Regards

Loki

PhatSOB

Postby PhatSOB » 25 Nov 2005 06:58

I believe those restarts that you guys are getting are BSODs, I get them when I try and stream directshow in Media Center but in XP pro I am ok

Postby Guest » 27 Nov 2005 20:52

Yep
STOP 0X0000007F (0X00000000, 0X00000000, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)

Every other capture program i have ever used works perfect. Vlc gives a bsod. Whats the problem here?

Postby Guest » 28 Nov 2005 13:19

There was a bug a while back when you tried to stream using a directshow/webcam it would reboot the computer. The fix was to specify the resolution on the command line. Try this and see how it works.

Postby Guest » 28 Nov 2005 15:29

I've found you can gain some insight into these problems by opening the log with "View" "Messages" and watch how VLC loads up each command. Run the capture manually from the VLC UI and cut and paste the source and streaming text to a NotePad and save it before proceeding. That way, you'll have a record of your efforts. I find that debugging from a command line is the best way to zero in on a problem because it's easier to repeat.

Here's one that works with a web cam.

vlc.exe -vvv -I rc --ttl 12 dshow:// :dshow-vdev="Kodak DVC323 Digital Video Camera" :dshow-adev="none" :dshow-size="" :dshow-config :no-dshow-tuner :sout=#transcode{vcodec=h264,vb=384,scale=1,acodec=mp3,ab=64,channels=2}:duplicate{dst=std{access=udp,mux=ts,url=229.6.6.1:4444,sap,name="Web Cam"}}

The "dshow-config" brings up a dialog box and you must select correct and valid values for everything to work. I've not been able to pass the webcam DirectShow parameters directly from VLC so I can't use a command file to start the web cam streaming. But this works as long as you're around to respond to the dialog box.

-- ggunners

Trax
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Trax » 28 Nov 2005 21:49

When I try to stream video from my capture device,VLAN restarts computer when it start streaming.In Open list in program is this line:

dshow:// :dshow-vdev="WinFast TV2000 XP WDM Video Capture" :dshow-adev="C-Media Wave Device" :dshow-size="" :dshow-config :dshow-tuner :dshow-caching=200 :dshow-chroma="" :dshow-fps=0.000000 :dshow-tuner-channel=0 :dshow-tuner-country=0 :dshow-tuner-input=1

Some things to try for reboot issues for direct show capture devices (it's not VLC crashing but it seems to trigger a driver bug which takes down the Operating System):

1) Update VLC to latest version (0.8.4 final or a development version from http://nightlies.videolan.org)
2) Update DirectX to latest version (Windows Update)
3) Update drivers for video and audio to latest versions.
4) Disable hardware acceleration. Rightclick on Desktop, Properties, Settings, Advanced, Troubleshoot. Move the slider to None. Reboot
5) Use one capture device so only video for starters (no adev and commandline --no-audio) to rule out an audio driver problem (and vice versa)
6) Force a dshow-size to something your card supports dshow-size="320x240", if that fails specify resolution with spaces "320 x 240".

Jerome2

Postby Jerome2 » 28 Nov 2005 23:26

In my case, it was the wrong audio device that was selected... selecting the correct one solved the problem. No more weird reboot.

Postby Guest » 29 Nov 2005 00:36

I've tried all of the above beside the last two which are next on my list.
I did try with audio set to none. But ill try your noaudio line.
Ill post as to how it goes.

Grok

Postby Grok » 30 Nov 2005 00:17

Same problem, vlc 0.84 restart my computer if use netshow stream.

Postby Guest » 30 Nov 2005 23:08

Ok i've tried all of the above.

Vlc 0.7.2 Works... but it wont change over to the compsite source, i get the option to select it, but it doesnt change. Plus im interested in streaming h264

0.8.2, 0.8.4 do not.

Ati Tv Wonder Ve Pci
Latest drivers
Xp Sp2
Dx9c
Tried disabling hardware accel
Tried resolution suggestions , spaces or not
Tried only video

This card works great in everything else i use it in.
I'd go out and get another card if i knew it just wasnt something on my system causing the problem, or if its going to happen with a new card.

Vayshya

Postby Vayshya » 05 Dec 2005 13:40

The same problem. Trying to broadcast from tv-tuner, get error 7f (0,0,0,0) (division by zero).
audio: Sound BlasterLive! 5.1
video: GeForce Ti4200
tv-tuner: PrimeTV 34
motherboard: nForce2
processor: Athlon XP 2500
OS: Windows XP Professional (APIC mode) and Server 2003 Corporate Edition (without any IRQ sharing, PIC mode)
Many other broadcasting and capturing utilities work without blue screen. Windows Media Encoder very often freezes during preferences change, broadcasts normally only with second start, stops after fist client connects. Real Producer and FlyDS have sound syncronisation problem. Unreal Live Server sometimes produces distorted sound and does not recognize TV channel standard.

zvlc

vlc shows blank screen

Postby zvlc » 26 Jan 2006 01:29

s/w that comes with wintv works great. But VLC doesn't work at all.
I tried wizard and could not get connected to my usb based wintv.
Any help that someone can offer to this newbie :( ?

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 26 Jan 2006 02:27

the answer is no, -it is not possible for videolan to restart your computer. :lol:

but, sorry I don't know much about the capture.. can you run a test properly in DirectShow? and are you using a compatible format for vlc?
The proper way to know if the Direct Show driver is working properly within Windows is to use Graph Edit. If I can find some time I will look for the complete procedure for capture devices and post it here.

Graph edit is a tool for developers provided by Microsoft but is missing in the latest SDKs. You can do a search on the web for graphedit.

This tool will allow anyone to know for sure if it is a Direct Show compatibility problem with the system or a VLC problem. Would also allow one to check out various versions of updated drivers without fighting with two things at the same time.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 26 Jan 2006 03:42

I tried to paste the information here but this program would not allow me to do it without a complete reformat of the document, so here is the URL that in general shows how to use Graph Edit with your capture device.

While it was written for DVB cards, the general usage will be true for any capture device.

http://www.maisenbachers.de/dokuw/insta ... ards:start

Scroll down the page near the end of the list of cards. You will see a sub-heading "Adding a card to the natively supported list".

Hope this is helpful! :lol: [/img]

Jason_X_
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: VideoLAN restarts computer??? restart=BSOD

Postby Jason_X_ » 26 Jan 2006 22:30

Hardware:AthlonXP 2500,512DDR RAM,nForce2 chipset MB,ATI Radeon 9200,WinFast TV2000 XP TV tuner card

I can confirm this is a VLC issue. The reboot is because of a BSOD, and in 2k/XP, MS foolishly reboots the computer on a BSOD, instead of showing the message!

I can also confirm it is NOT a directshow problem. Other apps that use directshow don't cause the BSOD.

KERNEL_MODE_NOT_TRAPPED is the error I get, in win2000.

I also have the above listed card.
:cry:

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Re: VideoLAN restarts computer??? restart=BSOD

Postby DJ » 26 Jan 2006 23:05

I can confirm this is a VLC issue. The reboot is because of a BSOD, and in 2k/XP, MS foolishly reboots the computer on a BSOD, instead of showing the message!

I can also confirm it is NOT a directshow problem. Other apps that use directshow don't cause the BSOD.

KERNEL_MODE_NOT_TRAPPED is the error I get, in win2000.

I also have the above listed card.
:cry:
You sound really sure of your self! A Direct Show driver provides a way into the card unlike a Direct show filter or codec that allows one to play media files. Just because Direct Show is working does not mean the driver provided by the vendor is working. That's why I provided a means to test it. If you havn't tested it there is no other way to know for sure. Just because vendor's programs work still does not mean that the Direct Show driver works.

You are dealing with win 2k, one of the most dificult operating systems to work with.

On top of all this there are people here that are still using VLC 0.8.2 and it has been suggested to upgrade to one of the more recent nightly builds as this module has been updated.

All the best of luck! :lol:

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”