iOS bugs/problems.

macOS specific usage questions
AntonyZac
New Cone
New Cone

iOS bugs/problems.

Postby AntonyZac » 21 Jul 2013 02:04

Hi there!

I love the interface and the app in general but have come across a few problems.

- I keeping getting a message saying "your device is too slow to play this video" for nearly every HD video, although my device is capable because I play HD videos all the time in other apps fine. VLC then proceeds to skip and turn the video a green colour.
- Some videos cause the app to crash before playing.
- One .mov video plays fine, but the audio is not what it is meant to be. Instead, it's a kind of high pitched fuzzy noise, and the actual audio is just audible.

When the videos are playing fine though, it's brilliant. Any help appreciated :) I have an iPod touch 5, latest iOS.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: iOS bugs/problems.

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 21 Jul 2013 13:44

- Other apps use hardware decoding. We will have a look at that...
- Can you share those files?
- This is already fixed and will be released next week.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

AntonyZac
New Cone
New Cone

Postby AntonyZac » 22 Jul 2013 21:10

Thank you very much! Jumping HD videos is the most problematic thing though...Id be very happy if it would be smooth :) All in good time!

With the 2nd bullet point, the videos no longer crash...so far. I'll upload them if they start again in the future.

aitte
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby aitte » 24 Jul 2013 08:10

I am having a problem on both my iPad 1 (running iOS 5) and my iPhone 4S (iOS 6) that adding a video with a file name of the form "S##E## - [Some text here].[some extension here]" causes the app to crash on opening. It will not open and only removing the files through iTunes or deleting and reinstalling the app will repair the issue. I've tried this with several different files and all give the same result. Renaming the file (e.g. to "[Name of series] - S##E## - [some text].ext" or "S##S## - [some text].ext" (discovered typo that helped diagnose the problem)) remedies the problem but instituting a wholesale file renaming scheme seems a silly way to fix this problem.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 24 Jul 2013 17:56

I am having a problem on both my iPad 1 (running iOS 5) and my iPhone 4S (iOS 6) that adding a video with a file name of the form "S##E## - [Some text here].[some extension here]" causes the app to crash on opening. It will not open and only removing the files through iTunes or deleting and reinstalling the app will repair the issue. I've tried this with several different files and all give the same result. Renaming the file (e.g. to "[Name of series] - S##E## - [some text].ext" or "S##S## - [some text].ext" (discovered typo that helped diagnose the problem)) remedies the problem but instituting a wholesale file renaming scheme seems a silly way to fix this problem.
Please file a bugreport.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

fkuehne
Developer
Developer
VLC version: 0.4.6 - present
Operating System: Darwin

Postby fkuehne » 24 Jul 2013 17:58

VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne
Medic. VLC developer for appleOS since before you were born.
Blog: https://www.feepk.net

alex5723
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby alex5723 » 25 Jul 2013 05:56

I have a problem with screen format/size.
My iPhone 5 (iOS 6.1.4) is connected to my car's A/V system, Pioneer AVH-X8550BT multimedia receiver with 7" screen via Apple's Lightning to HDMI connector.
On VLC screen I get the "connected to TV".
When selecting full-screen mode in VLC 2.0.2, the screen size on the Pioneer receiver remains small (iPhone's screen size).
I don't have this problem with other media application on the iPhone, like iPhone's native Media Player app, Infuse, PlayXtreme HD... all
display in full 7" screen size.
The video file format is 720p DTS x264 mkv.
regards,
alex

fkuehne
Developer
Developer

Postby fkuehne » 25 Jul 2013 22:02

This is an interesting use case I didn't think of. What are your external screen's physical pixel dimensions? 1024*768? something else?
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne

lepis
New Cone
New Cone

Postby lepis » 26 Jul 2013 00:57

Hello!

Today I installed VLC 2.0.2 on my IPhone 4S with iOS 6.1.3 from App Store. And fond many functional and usability defects. I'll post several of them here. If you need, I'll post more bugs.

Bug 1.
Steps:
1. Start to download file from web server.
2. Go with IPhone to place where Wi-Fi doesn't work.

Expected result:
Download process should be paused.
It should continue when network connection to web server will be restored (for example, via 3G or another Wi-Fi point).

Actual result:
Download process interrupted.
File was downloaded partially and can't be played.

Bug 2. (This bug spoils good impression of the product)
Steps:
1. Start to play video file.
2. Pause it and return to the list of videos.
3. Start to play video file from step 1.

Expected result:
Video should continue playing from moment on which we stopped (paused).

Actual result:
Video starts playing from the beginning.

Bug 3.
I can't change language of player GUI in Options.

Do you need more posts about bugs?

alex5723
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby alex5723 » 26 Jul 2013 06:24

This is an interesting use case I didn't think of. What are your external screen's physical pixel dimensions? 1024*768? something else?
The Pioneer AVH-X8850BT is 6.95" 16:9 , WVGA (800×480)

Wouldn't I get the same problem connecting the iPhone 5 via HDMI to a Full HD TV ?

regards,
alex

fkuehne
Developer
Developer

Postby fkuehne » 26 Jul 2013 16:46

@alex5723: No, full-HD is supported, but 800x480 is a really uncommon resolution, which is why playback does not behave correctly. I just created ticket 9055 on this matter.

@lepis:
Bug 1: this is expected. Continuing the upload on reconnecting would be nice, but is technically not very feasible, as it would require a way more advanced JS uploader on the client side. Patches surely welcome, but I doubt that we can do much about it. Upload via 3G is out of the question since the http server does only run on local WiFi IPs. Additionally, most users probably don't want to upload up to a GB of data through their strictly limited data plans.

Bug 2: works as expected for me as long as you played more than 10% and less that 95% of the given media. Does it fail for specific file formats?

Bug 3: this is how iOS works. Change the system language settings if you would like to use VLC for iOS in a different language.

Please continue with further bug reports :)
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne

alex5723
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby alex5723 » 28 Jul 2013 09:07

Wouldn't I get the same problem connecting the iPhone 5 via HDMI to a Full HD TV ?

regards,
alex
@alex5723: No, full-HD is supported, but 800x480 is a really uncommon resolution, which is why playback does not behave correctly. I just created ticket 9055 on this matter.
Seems that is not the case. A user has the same small windows in the corner on his TV as I have on my car's A/V 7" system.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=112599

..Hello,
If i connect iPad 3 via HDMI to my SONY TV. I see a small picture in the corner of TV. Something like this :

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”