Screen Capture with VLC 2.07 and Windows 7

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
doctek
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Screen Capture with VLC 2.07 and Windows 7

Postby doctek » 04 Jul 2013 22:47

I'm a long-time user of vlc for video play back and it's great! Recently, I've had need to record some captures of my screen for instructional videos. After poking around the internet, I discovered that my old friend vlc could so this. After googling for some instructions, I spent some time with an old version (unsuccessfully) then upgraded to 2.07 vlc. Seems like it should be simple to do this, but I can't make it work. so I came to this forum.

I've spent time searching this forum and have learned two things: Using vlc for screen capture is not as simple as I thought it should be. And there doesn't seem to be a clear, simple explanation of the process. I've also read the manual and looked at the myriad of options for capturing, transcoding, and saving video. Frankly, I'm lost and need a place to start.

Could someone point me to (or post) a simple recipe for capturing my screen to a file as an mp4? Assume that I know nothing about using vlc to capture my screen. Start with a simple capture process. Don't worry about the mouse or audio capture to start.

If someone could do this, I would be very grateful. I suspect many others want to do the same thing and will find the info very useful. In fact, I would suggest posting to the wiki and making it part of the vlc documentation as well. That's where I started looking, but the info I seek is lacking.

mederi
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 2.0.8
Operating System: Windows Vista/XP

Re: Screen Capture with VLC 2.07 and Windows 7

Postby mederi » 04 Jul 2013 23:43

There are some good examples on YouTube.
How to capture screen also with a mouse pointer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bI7EXRjvajc

Screen video + audio, a bit crazy with VLC, but obviously possible :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGgfkN_tRus
Is it possible to do it all in one instance of VLC without external muxer (Avidemux)?

Perhaps you are the one, who will write a step-by-step guide on the wiki :wink:

doctek
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby doctek » 05 Jul 2013 03:20

Thanks for the prompt reply.

The *key* point that made capture work at all for me is that using a frame rate of 1.00 (the default) does not appear to work. Following a few hints in other postings and a few youtube examples, I raised the frame rate to 6 and things worked! I have seen numbers from 10 to 30. I'm using 10 successfully now. I capture just fine setting the output file type to mp4.

So that was easy in 2.07.

However, the videos on getting a mouse cursor to appear don't work at all! Carefully following the instructions given in the video pointed to makes 2.07 crash for me. That is why I would like clear instruction from someone who actually uses screen capture with 2.07. Pointers to youtubes for older versions are only helpful if they still work and that is only known by actually doing it.

And yes, I will document what I learn and pass it on - to the wiki if possible and certainly as complete comments here.

mederi
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby mederi » 05 Jul 2013 12:50

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=111769#p378430
I assume that mouse pointer works in VLC-2.0.6 on Windows 7 (no crash reported), so VLC-2.0.7 should not be very different. Can you try 2.0.6? Or different transcoding profile/format/parameters could help.

doctek
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby doctek » 05 Jul 2013 18:22

Thanks again for your prompt reply.

The problem is that the information is conflicting. At different formats are given for file names and I have no idea which to use. The video is for 2.03 on XP. How different is it? I don't know. I can't get the mouse pointer file cited in the video directly. So I tried to down load the whole page and just get the mouse pointer file. Did I get the right file? I don't know.

The forum posts seem to confirm my impression that the method of doing this seems to vary with vlc version if it works at all. Frustrating!

You suggest trying different transcoding settings. There are many of these! Which ones make sense to try? I don't know.

I need something that works. I think I'll give 2.06 a try if that is known to work with the example given in the video. Any other hints or suggestions would be much appreciated.

doctek
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby doctek » 05 Jul 2013 20:20

Trying vlc 2.06: Captures just fine without the mouse cursor specification. With the mouse cursor string (from the video), it crashes every time and does not appear to use the cursor? So here are the variables:
- I'm using 64bit W7. Does that matter?
- I'm using the 7zip version, not the installed version of vlc. Does that matter?
- Is my cursor file correctly formatted? I got it from the web site pointed to by the video (the valid one, not the defunct one). But I couldn't down load it directly. Did I do this right?
- Other possible problems I don't even recognize???

Again, any clues based on actual experience would be appreciated.

Thanks.

doctek
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby doctek » 05 Jul 2013 21:05

So here's where I am:

- I configured the H264 default codec. Defaults were 0 for all settings. Now the fps is 25, bitrate is 3000kbps and scale is 1. Not sure what all of this means.
- Using string from video to specify the mouse cursor.
- Vlc must be a small window, not full screen.
- Still using 2.06.

Captures without crashing. At least a few tests now.
Cursor is only visible as a "trace" across the screen when it is moving. Not visible when it is still.
Video playback seems to be faster than the time taken to capture (that is, faster than real time). I still need to test and quantify this impression.

Do any of those facts line up with the experience of anyone else?

doctek
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby doctek » 05 Jul 2013 21:12

My perception that playback is faster than real time is incorrect! Playback speed matches capture time exactly. (by stopwatch).

Sorry for bogus observation.

doctek
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby doctek » 05 Jul 2013 21:23

Using the settings I listed above, I now capture consistently. I have even tried an alternate cursor I down loaded as a png. Works the same.

The cursor shows up as a "streak" or "trace" across the screen. It is as though it were being rasterized out of sync. There is a thin slice on a line, then another thin slice - offset from the first by several pixels, etc.

Anyone have any idea??

doctek
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby doctek » 05 Jul 2013 21:43

My current conclusion: Using the mouse cursor for my system setup (described above) does not work. I will find another way to do what I need to do.

If anyone can offer any *tested* suggestions I will gladly try them.

mederi
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby mederi » 11 Jul 2013 15:32

Nice arrow for you: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=112185#p380083
Just use the correct path to your .png picture file, where you have saved it:
[v] Show more options
Edit Options [ ... :screen-mouse-image=file:///C:/arrow.png]

doctek
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby doctek » 12 Jul 2013 21:11

Love the arrow. Now if it would just show up in my screen capture!

But here is what I put in for the path to the cursor (same as in my previous efforts):
:screen-mouse-image=file:///C:/Shared/Downloads/cursor.png
Works the same. Tried in 2.06 and 2.07. NO CURSOR!

So that was specified exactly as you are suggesting. Did this actually work for you, or are you just passing on the bug report? Because if it works for you, I'd like you to tell me in complete detail exactly what settings you are using at each step of the streaming set up.

I notice that the component the bug is logged against is "Input: Direct Show / Windows". I am using the Capture Device Desktop. This is from one of the earlier tutorial videos. Am I using the wrong thing??

Was the bug fix tested for Windows 7 / 64 bit? The bug report does not seem to specify this.

Thanks for your help. This is making me crazy.

rohuezo
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 2.0.8 Win/2.2.2 Mac
Operating System: Windows / Mac OS X

Postby rohuezo » 18 Jul 2013 08:57

This is the string I use on my Windows 7 VLC version 2.0.7.

screen:// -I rc --rc-quiet --rc-host=127.0.0.1:81 --nommx --no3dn --nommxext --nosse :screen-fps=15.000000 --screen-left=0 --screen-top=0 --screen-width=1920 --screen-height=1080 :screen-mouse-image=File:///C:/Temp/mouse.png :sout=#transcode{vcodec=h264,vb=384,fps=15,acodec=none}:file{dst=C:\\Temp\\video_output.mp4}

To stop it, I use Telnet to connect to 127.0.0.1:81 and send the command "quit"

Description of parameters:

screen://
This is the input stream, i.e. what should I stream?
-I rc
Interface to use, in this case remote control
--rc-quiet
The remote control interface shall not be shown
--rc-host=127.0.0.1:81
The remote control interface shall listen for commands on the IP address 127.0.0.1 on Port 81
--nommx
Disables the use of MMX CPU extensions.
IMPORTANT: Not needed for screen recording
--no3dn
Disables the use of 3D Now! CPU extensions.
--nommxext
Disables the use of MMX Ext CPU extensions.
--nosse
Disables the use of SSE CPU extensions.
:screen-fps=15.000000
Frame per second, use between 15 to 25 for best performance/results
--screen-left=0 --screen-top=0 --screen-width=1920 --screen-height=1080
Primary screen coordinates and size to record
:screen-mouse-image=File:///C:/Temp/mouse.png
Mouse image to use on recording. Static image, no hourglass or special mouse images.
IMPORTANT: Path should be on the URL format (forward slashes and NOT backslashes!). Complete path shall not contain empty spaces or %20. Use Win32API GetShortName() method to get a 8.3 directory and file name before converting to File:///...
:sout=#transcode{vcodec=h264,vb=384,fps=15,acodec=none}
Which video codec to use, in this case h264 with a bitrate (vb) of 384 Kbs and frame per seconds (fps) of 15, acodec means no audio coded
:file{dst=C:\\Temp\\video_output.mp4}
Where should the file be saved and which container type should it use, i.e. mp4 based on the file extension.
IMPORTANT: Complete path should not contain empty spaces. Use Win32API GetShortName() method to get a 8.3 directory and file name
--
Roberto Huezo, M.A.
Computational Linguist
Software Developer

doctek
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby doctek » 22 Jul 2013 07:45

Thank you very much for the clear, detailed reply. It is great to know that these settings work for you with Windows 7. That gives me hope!

I still don't have it working on my system, but I hope that just a few details will do the job.

First, how do you run vlc? Are you running from the command line? I tried running from the command line by being in the same directory as vlc.exe, then doing vlc.exe followed by your command string. vlc crashed, so if you are using the command line maybe you can tell me what directory you run from and the entire command you enter (excluding the string you've already given).

If you are not running from a command window (command line), then exactly where do you enter your command string? I tried entering all of it starting at -I and ending just before :sout into the "Edit options" box after checking "show more options". (I replace everything there.) Then I paste the rest of the string starting with :sout into the" Generated stream output string" box on the "Option Setup" page of the Stream menu. While video capture takes place, the cursor shows up only as a "blur" in the capture (like what I described a few responses earlier).

Since this works for you, perhaps you can tell me exactly how you enter your strings so I can correct my errors and make this work.

rohuezo
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby rohuezo » 22 Jul 2013 08:25

I don't start VLC from the same directory as the exe. I use the whole path to VLC, see batch-file below. I use --rc-quiet because this command runs unattended overnight and I didn't want a VLC window popping up, but to stop the recording I needed the telnet connection to stop it. Make sure your --screen-height and --screen-width are set to correct values for your screen, you may remove those two parameters, it will record the whole screen including Taskbar. Also you may want to try removing one by one the parameters --nommx --no3dn --nommxext --nosse, I didn't need these because my screen recording runs on a Virtual Machine and I wanted to keep the CPU processing low.

Try running this batch file on your system, it has a minimal amount of parameters and it will record your primary fullscreen. To stop it, just type "quit" on the vlc command prompt that pops up. If this works that try adding some of the other parameters from my original post:

rem ######## Begin Bat-file
@echo off

REM Change path to your VLC installation path
SET VLC=C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe

"%VLC%" screen:// -I rc :screen-fps=5.000000 :screen-mouse-image=File:///C:/temp/mouse.png :sout=#transcode{vcodec=h264,vb=384,fps=5,acodec=none}:file{dst=C:\\Temp\\out.mp4}

rerm ####### End Bat-file
--
Roberto Huezo, M.A.
Computational Linguist
Software Developer

doctek
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby doctek » 22 Jul 2013 18:34

Again, thanks for the quick, helpful and thorough reply.

I will try exactly your batch file, but I want to clarify yet another detail. From your path to vlc, I take it you have installed vlc on your system, as opposed to running the 7zip version? That might make a difference; I'll try it.

rohuezo
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby rohuezo » 23 Jul 2013 06:30

Actually I have done both. The only reason why I sometimes use the installation is that it enters the path of VLC in the registry and I use that on my C# console program to find it (on any machine running my program). Otherwise I get the zip version. But it shouldn't make a difference since VLC has everything in its folder.

Concerning your mouse pointer: Here is the mouse pointer I created, try this one out Imagehttps://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/35035040/mouse.png Make sure to update the path (without spaces) on the command line :screen-mouse-image=file:///<path>.
--
Roberto Huezo, M.A.
Computational Linguist
Software Developer

Dand
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Dand » 23 Jul 2013 21:59

doctek, I have the same problem as you. Capturing the screen works fine but the mouse pointer is spitted apart in thin lines... Each row of pixels in the .png is written to the screen but each row is pushed a few more pixels to the right (instead of placed under each other to build up the image)... Ending up in something that looks a s a thin dotted line... It is as if VLC does not understand the .png format or that the overlaying layer where the .png is written is of another width and therefor corrupted...

Unfortunately I am just as lost as you when I try to solve this.

rohuezo, I tried your bat file (with my paths) but it did not work for me. It was the first time I've tried to run VLC with only commands and no GUI so I kind of stumble. I did not get it to write an output file at all and just got a series of warnings in a separate window popping up...

Dand
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Dand » 23 Jul 2013 22:49

As I said I have the impression that the overlaying layer where the cursor/pointer/arrow is written thinks the screen is of another size (width). The writing of the corrupted cursor/pointer/arrow does not start where it should and each line is further pushed to the right... So, now I wonder if I can manually specify the screen size somewhere... And I'm talking about somewhere in the GUI... I don't find the setting in the 'Media>Open Capture Device' dialog... nor in the Convert dialog... ?

EDIT:

I tried ':screen-fps=25.000000 --screen-left=0 --screen-top=0 --screen-width=1366 --screen-height=768 :live-caching=300 :screen-mouse-image=file:///C:/VLCpointer.png' but that did not do it either... And yes, it is a small screen I'm trying to record (1366x768)...

rohuezo
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby rohuezo » 23 Jul 2013 23:07

Hey Dand,

I'm writing a little howto for the VLC GUI so you can set those values... I'm on my Mac right now so I can't take Windows screenshots... Basically, you have to go to Media->Stream->Capture Device, then on Capture Mode on top select Desktop, change frame rate to 15,00 f/s, check Show more options, the MRL and the Edit Options are the first part of the Command lIne, here you can add the :screen-mouse-image=<path> after :live-caching, click Stream. Another dialog popsup, you should see screen://, click next, add a file on the part on top by clicking Add, don't worry about the file extension. Click the button with the screwdriver and wrench beside the selected Profile (leave the default for now), go to the tab Video Codec, here you can change the Width and Height of the recording area and scale(between 0.001 and 1, e.g. 0.50 means half the screen size). Go to the Audio Codec tab and disable if not audio is desired. Click Save, click Next. Under Generated stream output string you will see the second part of your command line. When you click Stream the screen recording begins immediately, open some windows, do stuff for a couple of minutes, then click Stop on the VLC GUI. The recording stop and you can open up the file specified above for the recording...

I will make a nicer tutorial with more info to help you and others... Good luck!
--
Roberto Huezo, M.A.
Computational Linguist
Software Developer

Dand
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Dand » 23 Jul 2013 23:14

By the way: Here is an image of how the cursor is split up row by row.

It is rohuezos cursor Image with a slight modification. I resized it to 32x32 pixels hoping that that would help... It did not... As you see every row is pushed aside and not lined up correctly under each other... Instead I get a kind of line...

Dand
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Dand » 23 Jul 2013 23:41

Hey Dand,

I'm writing a little howto for the VLC GUI so you can set those values... I'm on my Mac right now so I can't take Windows screenshots... Basically, you have to go to Media->Stream->Capture Device, then on Capture Mode on top select Desktop, change frame rate to 15,00 f/s, check Show more options, the MRL and the Edit Options are the first part of the Command lIne, here you can add the :screen-mouse-image=<path> after :live-caching, click Stream. Another dialog popsup, you should see screen://, click next, add a file on the part on top by clicking Add, don't worry about the file extension. Click the button with the screwdriver and wrench beside the selected Profile (leave the default for now), go to the tab Video Codec, here you can change the Width and Height of the recording area and scale(between 0.001 and 1, e.g. 0.50 means half the screen size). Go to the Audio Codec tab and disable if not audio is desired. Click Save, click Next. Under Generated stream output string you will see the second part of your command line. When you click Stream the screen recording begins immediately, open some windows, do stuff for a couple of minutes, then click Stop on the VLC GUI. The recording stop and you can open up the file specified above for the recording...

I will make a nicer tutorial with more info to help you and others... Good luck!
Thanks rohuezo, thanks a lot for your help!
Unfortunately I did not have quite the luck you wished for me... ;-)
Well, anyway I learned something. Sofar I had tried this by going to 'Media>Open Capture Device' and now I found the codec screen size settings there too after I tried your method.
I get good video output (with both methods) but still this corrupted pointer graphics (with both methods). I guess the overlaying layer where the pointer is written is not controlled from the codec settings...

Thanks for helping!

Dand
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Dand » 24 Jul 2013 00:24

Now I'm just about to give up. VLC has crashed several times during this testing. A restart of the computer has not been enough to get it going again so I have uninstalled and reinstalled a couple of times and now it crashed again... I think I quit now... I'll go and have one of my home brewed IPAs...

rohuezo
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby rohuezo » 24 Jul 2013 05:08

Not Media->Open, use Media->Stream
--
Roberto Huezo, M.A.
Computational Linguist
Software Developer

rohuezo
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby rohuezo » 24 Jul 2013 07:51

Hey guys,

I made a how-to document and video to see if we are all on the same sheet of music. My system is a Windows 7 64-bit with 16GB RAM and Intel i7 CPU 3.4GHz VLC version 2.0.5.

1. Here is the link to the How-To PDF https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/350 ... th_VLC.pdf
2. Here is the link to the How-To video https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/350 ... LC_GUI.mp4

Next I will write a How-To for Command Line, which has more parameters as the ones provided by the GUI.

Hope I could help someone, and feel free to distribute the document and/or the video.

Best regards,
Last edited by rohuezo on 24 Jul 2013 13:40, edited 2 times in total.
--
Roberto Huezo, M.A.
Computational Linguist
Software Developer

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”