No audio at all with certain files

macOS specific usage questions
ccnp11
New Cone
New Cone

No audio at all with certain files

Postby ccnp11 » 14 Jul 2013 09:00

Very strange symptoms and super annoying/frustrating.

I just did a clean install of Mountain Lion on a new SSD less than 2 weeks ago. All software is up to date. VLC version is 2.0.7 32/64. (have re-installed/downloaded several times before posting) I have a NAS device on my LAN where I store all my media files. All of the files that I am having trouble with are known-good, the trouble is definitely not with the files.

When I play *certain* (there seems to be no rhyme nor reason to which ones but it is specific files, some primarily mkv files but not all and always the same ones. Some work fine, some don't) there is no audio at all being played. I am using an LCD TV as my monitor connected via mini-port-HDMI converter. In this setup the audio controls (such as volume in the menu bar) are greyed out. This is normal and expected. However, when I attempt to play one of these problematic files the volume in the menu bar become active and the built-in speakers of the MBP are selected as the audio output. While that file is being played or is open in VLC I can not select the TV as the audio output. I click the TV output and nothing changes. I have tried every audio output module in VLC with no luck.

These files do play audio with VLC when I disconnect the TV from the MBP and use the laptop speakers.

I am not having trouble with audio in any other app or format. Music players work fine, flash video/youtube plays/sounds fine, etc. It is only with specific files played with VLC whilst connected to an HDMI TV. All of the files worked prior to the re-install. I am having no noticeable issues with any other software on the system.

I'm stumped. Any help?

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: No audio at all with certain files

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 17 Jul 2013 19:40

Try VLC 2.1.0-pre1
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

ccnp11
New Cone
New Cone

Re: No audio at all with certain files

Postby ccnp11 » 18 Jul 2013 02:44

All of the 2.1.0-pre1 downloads I found were for windows.

Tried multiple nightly builds of 2.1. 2.1 would not even play video on the problem files. Tried 2.2 (latest) and the symptoms are the same as 2.0.7.

Another thing I noticed with some mkv files that do play last night is that volume control is ineffective with them. They play and sound fine, but to adjust the audio volume I have to use the TV remote, the slider in VLC has no effect on audio output.

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”