Preview-Box like in Youtube

Feature requests for VLC.
The_Unknown
New Cone
New Cone

Preview-Box like in Youtube

Postby The_Unknown » 21 Apr 2012 22:44

Hello,

is it possible to add a little preview box like in Youtube to the progess bar of the vlc player? Would be great.

Thanks in advance.

bye

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Re: Preview-Box like in Youtube

Postby VLC_help » 22 Apr 2012 13:01

This has been requested earlier, but it isn't possible to implement it without certain drawbacks.

First issue is that choice of full index scan or realtime scan.
With full index the whole file/stream has to be processed before the playback. It would slowdown startup specially with large files and it would be problematic with files that have incorrect timecodes.
With realtime scan issue is the high CPU usage, since VLC would have to decode 2 videos at the same time. This would be specially problematic with HD files that have long I frame delays since decoding one image from random location could take seconds or you would get new preview image from about every tenth second.

Second issue is that this won't work for streams were random access isn't allowed.

The_Unknown
New Cone
New Cone

Postby The_Unknown » 22 Apr 2012 14:06

Mhm, but in Youtube it's possible and they have HD-Videos and streams, too??

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 23 Apr 2012 17:53

The thumbnails are pregenerated there (full index) so the player just fetches prerendered images.

The_Unknown
New Cone
New Cone

Postby The_Unknown » 23 Apr 2012 18:40

Ah, I see. What Youtube does with tons of servers as a basis VLC would need to do ad hoc for the video to be played on the machine it's running on. That's a problem :(

But I believe such talented and sophisticated devs here on the videolan team will find a way to do such a feature in the future :)

ETA
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ETA » 03 Mar 2013 18:38

Perhaps this can be an option?
and perhaps custom interval for the preview pictures? like every 1 minute or 10 sec.

Or just pick out the keyframes of avi files etc... can that be done fast?

-ETA

DGMurdockIII
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: y
Operating System: windows 10 64bit Pro

Postby DGMurdockIII » 24 Mar 2013 05:05

poq
New Cone
New Cone

Postby poq » 09 May 2013 07:11

So no plugin exist for the thumbnail preview in vlc time toolbar ? It would be really great !

phaolo
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby phaolo » 14 Jul 2013 13:36

Hi, I really like this idea too!

I am, however, quite a noob, so I don't understand why we could only use prerendered images.
Can't the mini thumbnail behave like a frame of the same (paused) video opened again? So, when I hover on the main video time bar, the second one skips to that same time (maybe only keyframes) and shows an 1:5 mini-frame.
I don't know the memory-cpu load of a double file open with a fast seek, though.
Sorry if this is total bul****t, I'm just trying! :P

fedik
New Cone
New Cone

Postby fedik » 08 Dec 2013 12:16

ouh, I also search something like that for VLC and did not thought that it very complicated feature :)

what if use "indexing during playing" as first step, do "sec preview" only for the video that already played? means only for the past time... something like "partial index", ...
it also good feature ;)
second step, do "realtime scan" only for video codecs that not "very compressed" or something, and not required a lot action (CPU usage) for "get the frame for time" action...
third step, do it for all video codecs, combine "indexing during playing" + "realtime scan", but allow to disable it for slow PC

very naive? :)

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 09 Dec 2013 16:19

Quite.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

john404
New Cone
New Cone

Postby john404 » 19 Jun 2014 14:17

I also would like this feature, but understand the challenge for VLC to do this reliably on the fly, on many different platforms. When thinking about workarounds I came up with an idea I haven't seen in the forums. Think of it like .srt subtitle files but for timeline preview thumbnails.

The idea is that the producer of a video generates a mosaic jpg image according to some standard and bundles it with the video. The format could be a sequence of one thumbnail for every 10 seconds in the video, 50x50 pixels in size, in a 10 column wide grid.

When a video is loaded VLC would check the folder for a grid jpg file with the same non extension file name as the video. Then when the user moves the mouse over the timeline VLC uses the timeline position data to extract the matching 50x50 pixel area from the grid image and displays the thumbnail in a popup above the timeline.

This way each client wouldn't have to CPU intensive processing to extract all the thumbnails from the video file. It would only work for videos with the grid image of course. But if the solution catches on people would start uploading grid images for old videos around the internet, just like there are subtitle sites out there already. Other video players could also start making use of the same grid files.

AndroidCat
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 3.0.16 Vetinari x64
Operating System: Linux x64

Postby AndroidCat » 08 Jul 2014 19:10

I really like your idea, and i personally DONT think that the idea is naive at all.
Actually VLC like so many other programs out there, can of couurse take advantage of GPU's of video cards that people have bought/added to their system to utilise extra processing power for such purposes.

Jean-Baptise's response was unjustified in my opinion, and was hardly even considered.
If it was considered (even some time before) then you should have recieved a more appropriate response.

Idea liked very much :D

mdinger
New Cone
New Cone

Postby mdinger » 12 May 2015 03:17

Would this be feasible with a separate, super-fast keyframe decode built into the decoder? I filed an issue for this in daala and that was suggested as a possibility.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 12 May 2015 11:09

Yes.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Baroque and Blue
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Baroque and Blue » 19 May 2015 03:33

You mean to tell me...for over three years this has been requested and debated here???

PotPlayer already has this option; just needs to be configured. Go to: Preferences/Playback, then under Navigation/Progress Bar, simply check "Show thumbnail previews"

YES, it can be done.

RedRanger
New Cone
New Cone

Postby RedRanger » 10 May 2017 13:55

how do enable the the youtube preview box because at the moment it just shows the time of where my mouse is if anyone can help i'd really appreciate it

eerkatoka
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
Operating System: Linux

Postby eerkatoka » 19 Jun 2017 15:03

Yes. Indexing could start after opening file, in a separate process, take only set amount of CPU core like 50%. Option to save thumbnail 16x16 grid files on the same directory, so they can be used the next time.

Gernuts
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Gernuts » 29 Aug 2018 21:13

Hi,

I just registered here to bump this request up and see if VideoLAN team could possibly take notice.

Would be great if VLC had this feature.

Sonus150
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Sonus150 » 24 Jan 2019 01:21

VLC once had a feature like this. It was short-lived and worked like you see on Youtube, but next update killed the feature. I believe it was hotfixed. The feature showed up about 3-4 years ago.

sah777
New Cone
New Cone

Postby sah777 » 21 Oct 2019 23:38

Zoom Player can do this just great with no problems, so I don't see why VLC couldn't

unidan
Developer
Developer

Postby unidan » 22 Oct 2019 10:30

Anything can be done, but it needs work and there might be other things more urgent or more interesting to do, like performance issues or new UI.

If anybody writes it, it will certainly be merged.

titule
New Cone
New Cone

Postby titule » 05 Nov 2020 13:24

If it was already there, it should not be too much effort to re-add it.
Why was it removed anyway?

Jetro
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Jetro » 15 Nov 2020 11:14

If it was already there, it should not be too much effort to re-add it.
Why was it removed anyway?
Posting to agree with this.
VLC is suddenly starting to feel 'old' when YouTube comes up with more innovative features. :P

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 15 Nov 2020 17:32

YouTube has it easy because they extract the thumbnails ahead of time off-line in the Google cloud. VLC can't do that. As unidan already pointed out, this needs (a lot of) work, and so far nobody has volunteered to do this, especially not in a robust and proper manner. And even then it can never work as well as with cloud streaming, as it would be limited by the user hardware.

Trying to shame the developers is really not helping; it's counter-productive even. And posting "me too" does not help either.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

Return to “VLC media player Feature Requests”