[Solved] bug

VLC for Android and Chrome OS specific usage questions
sumantaadk
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

[Solved] bug

Postby sumantaadk » 10 Mar 2013 09:02

1. Fill option doesn't work. When I change fit vertical to fill, still it remains on fit vertical.

2. Brightness gesture doesn't perform well like volume gesture. Just try to slide up and then down without leaving screen, there was a short delay, or geature need some milli-second to understand what to to.Brightness gesture should be like a Volume gesture.

3. Audio service run forever. Isn't it a --please stay polite-- bullshit? More than 60 MB of RAM and CPU resource are hijacked by vlc forever. If I play or even just open vlc and close it, then I have to force stop going through task mgr. Why don't you guys add a option which fully close app, or if we click back ,vlc should be closed.

edwardw
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.0-git

Re: bug

Postby edwardw » 10 Mar 2013 15:18

1. Works for me (it switches when the overlay disappears)

2. A small fix was applied to the latest nightlies for this.

3. The audio service is required to continue playing audio in the background, independent of the VLC activities. And 60MB is definitely an exaggeration.

sumantaadk
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby sumantaadk » 10 Mar 2013 16:22

1. Only menu changed but doesnt work as fill. Previous version 007, 006 were working but 0010 isnt working like previous one.

3. Here audio service running doesnt mean it is running in necessary. I have to close vlc, so what can I do? have any idea? Only one idea is to stop through tsk mgr. So why dont vlc itself close its service when there is no need of vlc?Nightly Build of VLC

edwardw
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby edwardw » 10 Mar 2013 17:40

For #1, either provide a screenshot of the bug or a logcat log.

edwardw
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby edwardw » 11 Mar 2013 11:28

What is your device?

After https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-4oyVt ... sp=sharing if you tap the screen it should change to fill, no?

sumantaadk
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby sumantaadk » 11 Mar 2013 17:08

My device is Sony Ericsson Xperia Ray, android version 4.04

I have tapped to fit vertical https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-4oyVt ... view?pli=1
and then fill https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-4oyVt ... view?pli=1
Here the image/video still remain as fit vertical. It was fine when I was using 7,6 or previous. Whole portion of image should be within in screen. But here image is cropped and most of portion is disappered in fill option.

edwardw
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby edwardw » 11 Mar 2013 20:50

I will look into it when I have some time.

Carli
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Carli » 15 May 2013 18:48

Hi Edward,

I agree that the figures of the thread starter are exaggerated. However, I also agree on point 3 - even if it is just 20MB for me.

On my Nexus S RAM is very limited. Android does not always handle low RAM situations very good. It kills processes of which some restart again - resulting in an endless stop-start-loop draining your battery in no time.
I would really love to see at least an option where I can disable the service if it is not doing anything. Today the service starts even if no file has been played at all. If there is music playing in the background, of course, keep it running. But if it is not doing anything for me, please shut it down.

Usually I avoid using Apps with such in-transparent services because of the limited phone resources and because I am always wondering, what is the service spying for? Does it tracking my location... my activities... my data on the phone? Why would it run all the time otherwise?

However, VLC for Android perfectly fits my needs - more than any alternative. That is why I would love to stick with VLC and not switch to another App (or phone) and instead decided to kindly ask you for re-considering the service aspect!

Thanks in advance and keep the great work up!

Carli

edwardw
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby edwardw » 16 May 2013 06:21

Well, since VLC is an open-source project, you are welcome to browse VLC source code to ensure that AudioService doesn't do anything nefarious... ;)

But when I have time I will try to look into this issue.

XilasZ
Developer
Developer

Postby XilasZ » 16 May 2013 11:50

About the service, it's not that simple.

The service and the app share the same process, and the same ram usage. so the 60Mb of RAM that you see, it's for both the service and the app.

When nothing is playing or is paused, the service is there, but flagged as killable if necessary. That means that the service & app in background can be killed at any moment by android. stopping the service wouldn't change the ram usage if the app is still alive.

And forcefully closing the app on back won't matter either, since android can decide to start it again in the background if there's enough RAM, and there's nothing we can do about that, that the way android works.

The real issue is the fact that the internal library used by the app & the service is loaded on startup, but is NEVER unloaded. That's what consume the RAM.

sumantaadk
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby sumantaadk » 17 May 2013 04:19

@XilasZ I know Vlc team can solve this.The term "Hard" is for non Vlc Authors rathe than Videolan's guys. The fact is only the time required by team. We want faster as much as possible and team have no too much time. People thought mx is better but I say that vlc is much more better than all. Vlc can play what other can't and its more stabe than other. Here we are not expert on code, we are just learner. We might dont know what the exact issue is. We love Vlc so we inform the bugs or anything we saw in our device. I think if team solve this issue all user will be happy. Dont they/we?

XilasZ
Developer
Developer

Postby XilasZ » 17 May 2013 08:01

yep of course, my post was an answer to edwardw about the service (we both work on the android version of vlc), and to share knowledge about the RAM used.

About what you asked:

1. i confirm there's an issue, "fill" doesn't work properly
2. yes i think there is some delay, but it doesn't come from vlc, we change brightness as quickly as we change the volume. android is just slower to react for brightness
3. as i said, stopping the service won't change the RAM usage, the issue is that we don't free RAM when we don't need it

I'll take a look at 1 & 3 in the next few hours/days.

sumantaadk
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby sumantaadk » 20 May 2013 04:37

Thanks. Now fill option works. Tested in http://nightlies.videolan.org/build/arm ... 9-0117.apk

XilasZ
Developer
Developer

Postby XilasZ » 26 May 2013 10:26

3 is fixed now. You can try the latest NB.

sumantaadk
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby sumantaadk » 26 May 2013 11:53

Yeah, Now fixed. Thank you :)

edwardw
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby edwardw » 27 May 2013 12:49