VLC 0.8.6a won't disable screensaver

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
aaronstc
New Cone
New Cone

VLC 0.8.6a won't disable screensaver

Postby aaronstc » 20 Feb 2007 08:15

My screensaver will come on and interrupt videos while using VLC in full screen. I checked the settings and the "disable screensaver" box is checked but it doesn't seem to work.

I'm running WinXP Pro.

xichael
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby xichael » 26 Apr 2007 14:14

I'm having exactly the same problem... Well, except that I've got the monitor set to turn off after 5 minutes rather than the screen saver set to turn on. But it's essentially the same function... Or lack thereof.

xichael
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby xichael » 27 Apr 2007 23:24

Suggestions anyone?

kolaskolas
New Cone
New Cone

Postby kolaskolas » 30 Apr 2007 21:33

I'm having a similar problem. I can't even find the 'disable screensaver' box under the Video section of Preferences.

What's really annoying is that VLC changes my screensaver wait time to 1 minute whenever I open a video. Can anyone help?

CloudStalker
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: OVER 9000!!!
Operating System: It's...blue screen
Location: Heaven? No no. What's that other place that starts with an "H"? Oh yes: Home. ^_^

Postby CloudStalker » 30 Apr 2007 22:21

I can't even find the 'disable screensaver' box under the Video section of Preferences.

You can access this by going to: Preferences > Video, check the "Advanced options" box and the option "Disable screensaver" should become available.

Saribro
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Saribro » 01 May 2007 07:39

I'm getting all kind of weird stuff on Vista on that matter.
Monitor standy would sometimes get disabled when running, but not re-enabled afterwards, the screensaver stays off when running windowed but not when fullscreen. On occasion it all works perfectly the way it should, but mostly, it doesn't.
On XP SP2 everything did get disabled fine for me, but I always had to reset the standby-settings after running VLC.

DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby DJ » 01 May 2007 11:41

On XP SP2 everything did get disabled fine for me, but I always had to reset the standby-settings after running VLC.
Sounds quite normal to me! As this is what always happens here too.

As far as Vista goes I will wait and see what Microsoft does in the fall with SP1 and hopefully others may catch up by then. So by Thanksgiving if not Christmas things may begin to work.

clueponic
New Cone
New Cone

Re: VLC 0.8.6a won't disable screensaver

Postby clueponic » 07 Oct 2007 07:06

My screensaver will come on and interrupt videos while using VLC in full screen. I checked the settings and the "disable screensaver" box is checked but it doesn't seem to work.

I'm running WinXP Pro.
Try: Set Video Mode to DirectX

It's in Program Files -> VideoLAN -> Quick Settings -> Video

My screensaver got disabled after I accidentally clicked Set Video Mode to OpenGL ...

Ninka
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Ninka » 14 Apr 2010 20:29

Suddenly I got purple or blue screenshots / snapshots, and I realised it appeared after I chose "Set video mode to OpenGL".
When I changed the settings back to "Set video mode to DirectX", the snapshots were normal again.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 15 Apr 2010 15:03

Please, don't wake up OLD threads.

nervesaw
New Cone
New Cone

Postby nervesaw » 03 Jun 2012 16:55

Why not wake up an old thread if it is on a topic that is relevant to us? Sometimes people search for their question on the internet and find there is already an existing thread, then they post to that thread rather than starting a whole new one with the exact same topic. What is wrong with that?

testora
New Cone
New Cone

Postby testora » 30 Mar 2013 19:47

SOLVED!!!

For easy understanding, the below instructions are shown in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmyPbhwjBn0

Since this problem is related to the operating system of any computer, this solution works for any other video player which has the same problem on screensavers.

How to disable VLC player's Screensaver for good!

While playing or after played a video on VLC, the Windows screensaver will come on (activate).

The settings option within the VLC won't work to disable it. See the path:

VLC -Tools - Preferences Go to left bottom column at Show settings and activate All button. Navigate down to Video section. Mark the option "Disable screensaver" All that won't disable the screensaver because VLC is related to your Windows settings for screensaver.

Therefore, go to Desktop, right-click, and go to Screensaver options. In Windows Vista is: right-click on Desktop - Personalize - Screen Saver.

Look at "Wait" value. If it says 10 minutes, VLC will activate the screensaver after 10 minutes of idle, EVEN THOUGH your windows screensaver is deactivated. If it say 1 minute, VLC will do it after 1 minute, and so on.

To fix all this problem, is to cheat: change the value to a very high one, like 480 minutes.

Change the value activating the screen saver and deactivating it just like i did before.

From now on, VLC won't bother you at all. :)

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”