IE and VLC

All you've ever wanted to know about the ActiveX, Mozilla plugins, the web interface and various PHP extensions
gilbera

IE and VLC

Postby gilbera » 21 Feb 2005 20:43

Hi

Is there any plans to support a browser plugin for IE so i can embed VLC in a web page?

CHeers

Andy

markfm
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby markfm » 21 Feb 2005 20:47

Yes, it exists in the nighly builds -- there's a directory in the build called activex, with a readme file on how to install it (pretty simple to do)

gilbera

Nighly Builds

Postby gilbera » 22 Feb 2005 01:32

Sorry to be a pain but whats the nighly builds and where can i find these?

Andy

gilbera

IE ActiveX

Postby gilbera » 22 Feb 2005 01:58

Hi

I have got it now thanks.

Just installed the ActiveX and tried to play a file from both my HDD and the web and all i get is the nice cone logo on the screen and nother else.

It pays VLC Playing when i click play but thats it.

i am using IE6 and SP2 on windows XP

Any Ideas?

Andy

markfm
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby markfm » 22 Feb 2005 02:15

You have activex disabled in IE, probably. With the newer Windows security settings, that's default operation.

zorglub
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby zorglub » 23 Feb 2005 08:39

Hey, really ?

The m$ guys at least understood that was a big source of security flaws ?

They impress me
Zorglub
Clément Stenac

Postby Guest » 28 Feb 2005 16:13

Sorry but i still cant find the plugin for ie, please direct me.

markfm
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby markfm » 28 Feb 2005 16:22

http://vthr.via.ecp.fr/~videolan/build/ ... 2-last.zip

Download the zip, unzip it into a temporary area.

It'll have a folder, called vlc-0.8.2-svn. Copy everything in that folder (including subfolders), and paste it over your existing VLC (c:\program files\videolan\vlc); when prompted by Windows, tell it to overwrite.

Look in the activex directory -- there's a readme about how to get the plugin working.

(it's not automated when working with zip files, so you have to shuffle things around as directed by the readme)

goodytom

Postby goodytom » 08 Mar 2005 04:34

Hi, I'm trying to install the build referred to above and get the ActiveX control working. Bit of a n00b & not entirely sure what I'm doing from the readme. I had serious issues with wmp and now using vlc (and love it! [apart from screensaver not disabling...]). Until today any webpage with embedded media that would normally try to launch the windows media bar has crashed my IE, but have now disabled all ActiveX controls that are "wmp.dll" related and the pages at least come up, apart from the media.

Have overwritten my "program files\videolan\vlc" directory as suggested, and copied/pasted the "axvlc.dll" into my "windows" & "windows\system32" directories. How do I go about installing the file and getting it to associate with IE and allowing the add-on into IE to display the media?

(Am running IE6 on XP home SP2 btw)

Thanks a lot

cutty
New Cone
New Cone

ActiveX/test.html not working

Postby cutty » 24 May 2005 02:47

I cant get this ActiveX stuff to work... I have the same problem when running \vlc-0.8.2-test1\activex\test.html. All I see is the VLC logo when I try to play my .mpeg file. However the version, hide, show buttons all work.

I enabled all the ActiveX settings in the security setting.. and that didn't work

Then I copied the contents of vlc-win32-last.zip to c:\Program Files\VideoLAN\vlc and that didn't work at all, I got an error , I couldn't even bring VLC up.

Somebody please help.. thanks alot

by the way I am on a window 2000 box running IE 6

niule
New Cone
New Cone

Postby niule » 12 Jul 2005 05:01

I got the same problem ,just like the situation above

Anyone has got a solution in win2000 and IE 6?

thank u so much!

Keso

Postby Keso » 05 Sep 2005 19:09

Hi
I have the activex-plugin working. I tried it out on storewars and it worked.
My problem is with webpages like http://www.cnn.com that seem to look for WMP for their streams.
Is there anyway to get vlc to "impersonate" wmp so I can see streams from sites such as CNN?

Thanks in advance

/Keso

Return to “Web and scripting”