Skipping freeze large MKV file

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Excalibur
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Skipping freeze large MKV file

Postby Excalibur » 03 Mar 2013 14:12

VLC 2.0.5

I have few mkv files that are around 15 GBs. And when I skip form, let's say 00:00:01 to 00:23:05, VLC doesn't skip immediately, timer on both sides becomes blue (like buffering finished), and it stays like that for around 2 minutes and then video starts to play from skipped time. Checked with verbose level 2 in messages. No errors or some additional info. Checked with demuxing/muxing if container was not made properly. Same thing. This is for large jumps.

On smaller jumps audio stutters for a short period of time. About a second. Sounds like a sample was "triggered".

i7 2600K @ 4.2
16GB ram
560Ti

if someone wonders about strength of PC.

Gruko
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Skipping freeze large MKV file

Postby Gruko » 03 Mar 2013 18:00

Try to turn on the "Dummy elements": Tools -> Preferences -> "Show settings: all" at the bottom left; In the tree on the left side: Input/Codecs -> Matroska; flag "Dummy elements".
Read this https://trac.bunkus.org/wiki/FAQ%3APlay ... kvmerge590

TypX
Developer
Developer

Postby TypX » 03 Mar 2013 18:03

This is a known bug (and fixed for 2.0.6+).

You can either take a nightly build (http://nightlies.videolan.org) or enabling dummy element: tools->preferences show settings all then Input/Codecs->demuxers->Matroska check the dummy element box, save and restart vlc.

Beware if you choose the latter, when 2.0.6 is out you should disable it since it will badly handle broken files.

Excalibur
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Excalibur » 07 Mar 2013 00:01

Thanks, worked.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”