How to open with a default window position? Always!

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
CactusMan
New Cone
New Cone

How to open with a default window position? Always!

Postby CactusMan » 22 Feb 2013 20:50

Hello there,

I use VLC a lot and from long time now... but it's not my default player because this annoying thingy with the window position. I have to open a lot of video files... a lot of times... and the annoyance is critical. Everytime I open a vlc it's in a different position... 90% of the time it's has a portion off-screen and a have to fix the position and the size. JC... Just put a option for this to make a default and don't remember size or place. Just like Media Player Classic... always open at the center then expands to video frame in the center... NICE option. This way I always known where the window will appear. I created a script that I run sometimes to center the the window and put a good size in the window.

While this annoying thing exists... there is anything that I can do? There is a option on vlc that I can change?

mederi
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 2.0.8
Operating System: Windows Vista/XP

Re: How to open with a default window position? Always!

Postby mederi » 23 Feb 2013 16:56

There is a solution:
Tools > Preferences > ( Show settings = All ) > Interface \ Main Interfaces \ Qt: [ ] Resize interface to the native video size
Save changes.
Then change position and resize the VLC window according to your needs and close the VLC player.
Now locate %appdata%\vlc\vlc-qt-interface.ini in your computer and set its attributes to read only.

CactusMan
New Cone
New Cone

Postby CactusMan » 23 Feb 2013 17:09

THANK YOU! It worked JUST FINE! Almost in tears here... :)
I just see in your profile: "VLC version: 1.1.10 & 2.0.1"
Can you tell me what the benefits of using a old version o vlc?

MikeWWW
New Cone
New Cone

Postby MikeWWW » 01 Sep 2023 05:11

There is a solution:
Tools > Preferences > ( Show settings = All ) > Interface \ Main Interfaces \ Qt: [ ] Resize interface to the native video size
Save changes.
Then change position and resize the VLC window according to your needs and close the VLC player.
Now locate %appdata%\vlc\vlc-qt-interface.ini in your computer and set its attributes to read only.
10 years later and I still experience this issue with VLS always oepning too large and half off screen. Unfortunately the solution here doesn't work with what is now v3.0.18 Vetinari

Deonzar
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Deonzar » 11 Sep 2023 17:12

Yes this solution does not work with V3.0.18, is there another option or is it possible to go back to an older version. Thanx

Deonzar
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Deonzar » 19 Sep 2023 17:59

Ok me again. So I went to Tools > Preferences and untick the box that says " Resize interface to video size" I then sized the screen how I want it to open every time, Saved the setting, closed VLC....and when I opened it again it was the size I set it at...success!
Then played a few videos and it always opened in the size I set it at on the desktop.

Mystique_r4
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Mystique_r4 » 26 Sep 2023 20:42

The way I got VLC to adhere to my parameters was to resize the player to the size I would like it to be as the default size going forward and then do the following:

This is the key change below that has not yet been mentioned that makes all the difference

I hope it helps.
Let me know how well it works for you.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”