Blu-Ray Support

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Aquino
New Cone
New Cone

Blu-Ray Support

Postby Aquino » 02 Dec 2012 14:29

I lost Blu-ray support with the Windows 8 upgrade and so came to VLC. Since this process proved to be a little difficult, I am posting here for those who are interested.

First there is this url: http://vlc-bluray.whoknowsmy.name/

There are a few things that were not obvious along the way:

1) If you run %appdata% on my machine it takes you to a folder called "Roaming" within the folder "AppData." That is where I put the "key." If you follow the directions to navigate to AppData, you may not end up in "Roaming."

2) At VLC, if you hit "DOWNLOAD" you get the 32 bit version. That can lead to confusion if you thought it was checking your machine and downloading based on what it finds. This should be obvious if you see the program in the 32 but directory, but nevertheless the first time I put the 64 bit bluray dll in the VLC folder and of course that did not work. Looking more carefully, there is a 64 bit experimental version that you choose from the ftp site if you hit the link, after thinking about which of the files is the actual installer.

3) The blu-ray support appears to be manual. When I "auto-play" the disk I get the "MLR" error. When I start the program and use "Media->Open Disc" and select the Blu-ray option, then the movie opens.

4) As I said the 32 bit was choppy, and so I uninstalled it and tried the 64 bit version. It was a little but better but still not usable.

5) So I did not give up. After "Tools->Preferences" from the menu there is a tab for "Input & Codecs." On my installation, "Use GPU accelerated decoding" was not enabled. I enabled it.

Now the test BD, "3:10 to Yuma," is playing. The playback controls are supposed to be limited. I can move along in the timeline and skip scenes. The menu button just restarts the movie. The hardware button pause/play above the keyboard actually works.

Thank you VLC for saving me $39. :D

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: Blu-Ray Support

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 04 Dec 2012 15:41

Now the test BD, "3:10 to Yuma," is playing. The playback controls are supposed to be limited. I can move along in the timeline and skip scenes. The menu button just restarts the movie. The hardware button pause/play above the keyboard actually works.

Cool :)
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

nishant1234
New Cone
New Cone

Postby nishant1234 » 14 Dec 2012 07:13

hey pls provide me the blue ray support file links.

rattler85301
New Cone
New Cone

Postby rattler85301 » 14 Jan 2013 07:28

When I download the files I get the "I don't recognize the file, please go online and wander aimlessly" message. Basicly what program do I need to get for my cpu.

jeepndd
New Cone
New Cone

Postby jeepndd » 23 Jan 2013 21:46

Interesting, I followed the steps for 64 bit on Win 7 64 bit Pro and it would not fail. So I uninstalled it and deleted the key file I added in. I then installed the 32 bit version, the 32 bit aacs, and 32 key file in the directories as instructed. I enabled the GPU in tools/preferences. I opened the disc, bluray. I get this error message: This Blu-Ray Disc needs a library for BD+ decoding, and your system does not have it.

jeepndd
New Cone
New Cone

Postby jeepndd » 23 Jan 2013 21:51

Okay, I found the thread that discusses this, sorry to spam you.

McDara
New Cone
New Cone

Postby McDara » 31 Jan 2013 17:07

I can't seem to get any of the solutions I have read to work. I placed the key I downloaded in a folder I created:
c:\users\MyName\Appdata\aacs
and put the dll I download (from the 32 bit link) into:
C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLan\VLC\

I still get the "no library" error when I hit the play button then check Blu-Ray

I lost Blu-ray support with the Windows 8 upgrade and so came to VLC. Since this process proved to be a little difficult, I am posting here for those who are interested.

First there is this url: http://vlc-bluray.whoknowsmy.name/

There are a few things that were not obvious along the way:

1) If you run %appdata% on my machine it takes you to a folder called "Roaming" within the folder "AppData." That is where I put the "key." If you follow the directions to navigate to AppData, you may not end up in "Roaming."

2) At VLC, if you hit "DOWNLOAD" you get the 32 bit version. That can lead to confusion if you thought it was checking your machine and downloading based on what it finds. This should be obvious if you see the program in the 32 but directory, but nevertheless the first time I put the 64 bit bluray dll in the VLC folder and of course that did not work. Looking more carefully, there is a 64 bit experimental version that you choose from the ftp site if you hit the link, after thinking about which of the files is the actual installer.

3) The blu-ray support appears to be manual. When I "auto-play" the disk I get the "MLR" error. When I start the program and use "Media->Open Disc" and select the Blu-ray option, then the movie opens.

4) As I said the 32 bit was choppy, and so I uninstalled it and tried the 64 bit version. It was a little but better but still not usable.

5) So I did not give up. After "Tools->Preferences" from the menu there is a tab for "Input & Codecs." On my installation, "Use GPU accelerated decoding" was not enabled. I enabled it.

Last edited by McDara on 01 Feb 2013 05:02, edited 1 time in total.

Arite
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.20
Operating System: Debian Testing|Win10

Postby Arite » 31 Jan 2013 22:25

and put the dll I download (from the 64 bit link) into:
If VLC is in "Program Files (x86)" then you need the 32-bit DLL.

Arite.
Don't use PMs for support questions.

McDara
New Cone
New Cone

Postby McDara » 01 Feb 2013 05:03

and put the dll I download (from the 64 bit link) into:
If VLC is in "Program Files (x86)" then you need the 32-bit DLL.

Arite.
Thanks, I mis-typed it was the 32 bit version. I still get an error when I try to play a Blu-Ray.

Boergnet
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Boergnet » 16 Feb 2013 02:23

On my windows7 64bit machine Blu-Rays were playing very good with the 32bit vlc version until today.
Reinstalled VLC 32bit and then reinstalled VLC 64bit version with new AACS dynamic library and Keys database, but both times same error (see logfile)
Could it have something to do with the recent MS Windows Updates?

Alex

main debug: adding item `(null)' ( bluray:///E:/ )
qt4 debug: Adding a new MRL to recent ones: bluray:///E:/
main debug: rebuilding array of current - root Playlist
main debug: rebuild done - 1 items, index -1
main debug: processing request item: (null), node: null, skip: 0
main debug: Creating an input for '(null)'
main debug: resyncing on (null)
main debug: (null) is at 0
main debug: starting playback of the new playlist item
main debug: resyncing on (null)
main debug: (null) is at 0
main debug: creating new input thread
main debug: Creating an input for '(null)'
main debug: no fetch required for (null) (art currently (null))
main debug: using timeshift granularity of 50 MiB, in path 'C:\Users\Xandi\AppData\Local\Temp'
main debug: `bluray:///E:/' gives access `bluray' demux `' path `/E:/'
main debug: creating demux: access='bluray' demux='' location='/E:/' file='E:\'
main debug: looking for access_demux module: 1 candidate
qt4 debug: IM: Setting an input
main debug: no access_demux module matching "bluray" could be loaded
main debug: TIMER module_need() : 243.091 ms - Total 243.091 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 243.091 ms)
main debug: creating access 'bluray' location='/E:/', path='E:\'
main debug: looking for access module: 0 candidates
main debug: no access module matched "bluray"
main debug: TIMER module_need() : 0.282 ms - Total 0.282 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 0.282 ms)
main error: open of `bluray:///E:/' failed
main debug: dead input
main debug: changing item without a request (current 0/1)
main debug: nothing to play
qt4 debug: IM: Deleting the input
main debug: TIMER input launching for '(null)' : 286.785 ms - Total 286.785 ms / 1 intvls (Avg 286.785 ms)

Boergnet
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Boergnet » 21 Feb 2013 06:09

Ok, the problem with my broken vlc Blu-Ray support is solved.
It was the program "Samsung Magician", which made some changes in Windows7 for high performance SSD support.
After going back to an system restore point before the installation of this program, all Blu-Rays are recognized again by windows7 and could be played by vlc without problems.
Hope that helps

Alex

Fritzr
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Fritzr » 21 Mar 2013 00:12

On Win7 the full path including filename is: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\aacs\KEYDB.cfg
If the aacs directory does not exist in Roaming you will need to create it.
Click on the download Windows version. On the download page you are offered the option of the current version, x64 version and old versions ... select the one you need.

The libaacs.dll goes in the C:\Programs\VideoLAN\VLC directory for 64 bit VLC or C:\Programs(x86)\VideoLAN\VLC for 32 bit VLC.
Don't put it in a subdirectory

Thank you Aquino :D Your directions saved me a lot of time enabling BluRay playback.

Fritz

Astrokid
New Cone
New Cone
VLC version: 2.0.6

Postby Astrokid » 05 May 2013 23:33

Thank you so much!! had a issue where i downloaded The Hobbit in bluray format, but then couldnt watch it. Your a life saver:p

geedsen
New Cone
New Cone

Postby geedsen » 08 May 2013 23:11

Tried both the x64 and x86 version with mounted version of "Life Of Pi" ( iso 46Gb).
(System is a dual quad core xeon with 16gb mem)

After mounting the iso in windows 8, it plays like

100ms some sound, some rendering
1900ms nothing
1900ms nothing
1900ms nothing
1900ms nothing
1900ms nothing

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 12 May 2013 02:11

Try 2.1.0
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

nicadmous
New Cone
New Cone

Postby nicadmous » 30 May 2013 09:22

My new Valkerie laptop just shipped in and it doesn't come with a blu-ray media player. I've always relied on vlc and figured it would work, but it doesn't. My system runs on Windows 8. I've researched on here and followed all the instructions to a T and it still doesn't work. I keep getting the same error message:

Blu-Ray error:
This Blu-Ray Disc needs a library for AACS decoding, and your system does not have it.
Your input can't be opened:
VLC is unable to open the MRL 'bluray:///E:/'. Check the log for details.

I've downloaded the 64-bit experimental version (vlc-2.0.6-win64) I installed it, and then I downloaded KEYDB.cfg and put in the vlc folder in:

windows/user/username/AppData/Roaming/vlc

Then I restarted my computer. I also did the ""Tools->Preferences" from the menu there is a tab for "Input & Codecs." On my installation, "Use GPU accelerated decoding" was not enabled. I enabled it." It still won't play. I tried both opening through my computer or going through the vlc program, using the method up above "Media->Open Disc" and select the Blu-ray option" Still doesn't work, its the same error message every single time.

I can't tell you how many times I checked and double checked and restarted my computer. Did I miss something? please help

Arite
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Arite » 31 May 2013 03:03

I've downloaded the 64-bit experimental version (vlc-2.0.6-win64) I installed it, and then I downloaded KEYDB.cfg and put in the vlc folder in:

Put KEYDB.cfg in a folder named "aacs" in %appdata%, not in "vlc". You might need to create it. That is:
C:\Users\[Username]\AppData\Roaming\aacs

Arite.

Arite
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Arite » 31 May 2013 03:06

Put KEYDB.cfg in a folder named "aacs" in %appdata%, not in "vlc". You might need to create it. The full path should be something like:
C:\Users\[Username]\AppData\Roaming\aacs

Plus you need libaacs.dll in the same directory as vlc.exe (you may have already done that though).

Also you may find a nightly build of VLC 2.1.0 works better:
http://nightlies.videolan.org/

Arite.

nicadmous
New Cone
New Cone

Postby nicadmous » 31 May 2013 19:58

it works!!! I can't believe it! hallelujah!!! Thank you! The only thing that doesn't work is the option to "Use GPU accelerated decoding" I select the tab but it doesn't scroll down to show any options to use GPU accelerated decoding. Anyways, thank you so much again for your help!!!

zer0_sum
New Cone
New Cone

Postby zer0_sum » 02 Jun 2013 00:36

I've tried everything several times, tried 32 bit also tried 64 bit. Tried each file and each method and it still does not work. It still says missing library. I'm done trying. There is something preventing me from this working. I have no idea what it could be. I've tried nightly builds and everything. There is literally nothing that I haven't already tried. This method does not work at this time. Period.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 08 Jun 2013 01:18

I've tried everything several times, tried 32 bit also tried 64 bit. Tried each file and each method and it still does not work. It still says missing library. I'm done trying. There is something preventing me from this working. I have no idea what it could be. I've tried nightly builds and everything. There is literally nothing that I haven't already tried. This method does not work at this time. Period.
And yet the person just above you says the opposite...
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

maldar
New Cone
New Cone
VLC version: 2.0.6
Operating System: Win7

Postby maldar » 22 Jun 2013 14:55

I did everything as stated, made sure I used the 32 bit version, placed both files in the correct areas and I still get:

Blu-Ray error:
Your system AACS decoding library does not work. Missing keys?
VLC is unable to open the MRL 'bluray:///D:/'. Check the log for details.

I have Win 7, updated VLC to the most current version. Any suggestions? Trying to watch Lost Girl Season 2 Disc 3. The weird thing is that I watched the first 2 disc fine with my current player but this disc gets 10 into the 1st ep on this disc and then says Media not Supported.

Thanks

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 23 Jun 2013 13:58

Well, it seems to not find the keys.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

LMIlmi
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby LMIlmi » 20 Jul 2013 13:44

Go there "http://www.makemkv.com/" and then use the VLC.

I got that same problem with Startrek Enterprise disk. Evocation, revocation? that disk was hacking my machine. Then I found this program and I am now able to see my disk at least from hard disk. Takes a little more time but works. By the way, somehow the St Enterprise is not very good.
I did everything as stated, made sure I used the 32 bit version, placed both files in the correct areas and I still get:

Blu-Ray error:
VLC is unable to open the MRL 'bluray:///D:/'. Check the log for details.

I have Win 7, updated VLC to the most current version. Any suggestions? Trying to watch Lost Girl Season 2 Disc 3. The weird thing is that I watched the first 2 disc fine with my current player but this disc gets 10 into the 1st ep on this disc and then says Media not Supported.

Thanks

kevindnsix
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Blu-Ray Support - CABIN IN THE WOODS

Postby kevindnsix » 25 Jul 2013 09:14

I just bought the Blu-Ray+Digital Copy+Ultraviolet DVD of "The Cabin in The Woods," but I am UNABLE to play it with the latest VLC ver 2.0.7 (both 32-bit and 64-bit) on Windows 7 Home Premium. I already downloaded and placed the KEYDB.CFG and LIBAACS.DLL files in the correct subfolders per instructions. VLC 2.0.7 will play other Blu-Ray DVDs but still not this one.

Error Message as follows:

Blu-Ray error:
VLC is unable to open the MRL 'bluray:///G:/'. Check the log for details.

PLEASE HELP!!

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”