Audio Normalization Answered

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
McCrea
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Audio Normalization Answered

Postby McCrea » 24 Sep 2012 19:39

This fix does not work on 2.1.0.
I hope others respond to this...
I shall preface by saying I am no expert. I only found the solution today, after Wikipedia explained to me that the effect we desire is not called normalization, it is called dynamic range compression. While I understand that the original method posted in this thread was accomplishing it via normalization, it is true that the effect we desire is not the purpose of normalization. Not being an expert, I would rather refer you to wikipedia than give my amateur understanding of the difference.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_normalization
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_range_compression

The settings for DRC can be found in both (ctrl-p) tools/preferences/audio/filters or more accessibly (because you can make live adjustments) throught the (ctrl-e) tools/effects/audio tab/compressor tab. However, I needed more specific instructions before I could make it work:

A nice set of step by step instructions on how to adjust DRC settings in VLC can be found here: http://lifehacker.com/5920290/how-to-fi ... eally-loud

I am ecstatic that I now can hear the silence, without cringing from the loudness.

Best of luck.
Last edited by McCrea on 24 Sep 2012 20:19, edited 2 times in total.

loninappleton
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby loninappleton » 24 Sep 2012 19:51

@Mc Crea

I will read the how to and try this soonest.

Is there any conflict with the settings previously described? I'm wondering if something cancels out something else.

Thanks for your efforts.

McCrea
New Cone
New Cone

Postby McCrea » 24 Sep 2012 20:40

@Mc Crea
Is there any conflict with the settings previously described? I'm wondering if something cancels out something else.
True, a proper experiment would begin by resetting all your current VLC Media Player preferences, which is done by (ctrl-p) tools/preferences and click "Reset Preferences" button, and "ok" the confirmation. So, before doing that we can see that some people would want to record some old settings, particularly in other categories, such as networking or video.

All I'm saying is that article worked for me, so it should work for others :) ... and all credit for effort goes to it's author, WHITSON GORDON, who extrapolated the procedure from a deep reddit thread.

loninappleton
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby loninappleton » 24 Sep 2012 21:15

Am I way off base by suggesting that the deep thread (which I just cleaned up to take up half the page count to print) be made into a manual entry for Documentation and support?

This Reddit/LPT post was news to me and has other info on hardware to fix the loudness problem for television/dvd players as well.

On the topic of hardware there is one thing I would add that is not a dbx box costing $300. This is a device for television made by the Terk (aka Audiovox the part number is the same) antenna people:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdet ... er=180-330

loninappleton
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby loninappleton » 04 Oct 2012 19:02

An update on audio Normalization and more importantly Compression.

http://lifehacker.com/5920290/how-to-fi ... eally-loud

This piece is very thorough and I am still experimenting with the settings. VLC has a section under Filters for Audio Compression which 1.) raises the Gain on quiet parts and 2.) lowers the threshold at which audio compression kicks in. In the two articles from Lifehacker, hardware is also discussed including devices for television sets.

They describe a hardware patch where an HDMI hookup can be made to the right kind of tv to use these techniques for
a stand alone tv set.

Also at the bottom of this LifeHacker piece is the link to Reddit for the full explanations. I printed these to paper to be able to study the text and make the adjustments to VLC.

Kupotek
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Kupotek » 08 Oct 2012 12:31

Thank you!

discman15
New Cone
New Cone

Postby discman15 » 29 Nov 2012 22:25

I was so excited that this worked that I registered just to say this:

Sir, you are a saint, and every time I hear a conversation without hovering on the volume I will sing your praises.

daaceking
Cone that earned his stripes
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby daaceking » 28 Dec 2012 14:54

it doesn't work well enough. i've tried turning it up more but it doesn't seem to do what i want. what is it supposed to do? if you have several videos all different volumes, does it compensate for that or is it the sounds within one movie only?

OldBoater
New Cone
New Cone

Postby OldBoater » 11 Feb 2013 18:20

In my opinion, it's far too many steps to simply "normalize volume" on output. It should work with only 1 step.

NickGrouwen
New Cone
New Cone

Postby NickGrouwen » 06 Oct 2013 14:25

THANK YOU!! THIS DID IT FOR ME! The compressor thing never worked for me but this normalizing thing made a MASSIVE difference. I HATE it when I'm watching movies and trying to hear the speech and then all of a sudden the music hurts my ears. This really fixed it!

MidnightCoder
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby MidnightCoder » 02 Jan 2014 11:05

Anyone know if the audio normalization feature was improved in VLC 2.1? I saw the notes somewhere that said audio engine was changed completely in v.2.1 and wondering if normalization was redone/improved in v2.1?

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 02 Jan 2014 11:33

A bit improved in 2.1 and again in 2.2.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

MidnightCoder
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby MidnightCoder » 02 Jan 2014 16:36

A bit improved in 2.1 and again in 2.2.
Are the improvements documented anywhere? I know of a few limitations in v1.1 and wondering these were addressed. Thanks.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 03 Jan 2014 17:41

Sorry, but there are too many changes on that part, since 1.1.x
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

2mg
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby 2mg » 31 Jan 2014 00:41

I found out that putting a negative normalization value (-1,6 to -3,2) works as expander, as in brings lower sounds up, so if anyone needs that, there you go.

If you have unevenly loud songs, instead of making the loud one quiet (and then turning up your speakers or whatever), you can do the reverse without changing your usual volume!

Boy2006
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Boy2006 » 25 Oct 2015 15:24

yey i dont need to create a new tread for...
The Problem is in Movie the Sound is extrem Loud and the Voice is low. :cry:
For Music i dont need it. Its possible to make an Switch to de/activate it? :D

rivermen123
New Cone
New Cone

Postby rivermen123 » 11 Jun 2016 01:13

Thanks so much for this. I actually created an account and I was about to post a thread when I saw this one. Should be stickied. Do you know if this runs across all videos you play? That's the actual problem I'm having. I'll put on like 15 episodes of South Park or something when I go to sleep and one episode will end up having ridiculously loud volume and I have to get out of bed after sleeping for 3 hours to take the episode out. So does this just work to normalize the particular video you are watching at that time or does it normalize all the videos you have in your playlist to 1 solitary volume?

Thanks again,
awl19
Don't sleep with the TV on it's bad for you :D

corlene
New Cone
New Cone

Postby corlene » 07 Sep 2016 07:31

Hi there, I am using mac, and I have vlc 2.2.4. I don't have the tools options. I do have a Preferences option, but under Audio there is no option for normalisation. Can you please help me?

Imemine
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Imemine » 20 Oct 2018 23:01

this is for a different version from 2012. the controls are different.

springswood
New Cone
New Cone

Postby springswood » 19 Oct 2020 22:29

I had a problem with DVD playback where the volume was OK for effects but quiet for the English dialogue. Curiously not for the other languages available, French and German.
I found this fix via help at VSG:Audio:Normalization, however it didn't work in my case.
I found the solution was to change Audio - Stereo Mode from Original to Stereo. Unfortunately it reverts to Original each time I stop playback.

I'm running version 3.0.11 on a PC with Windows 10

mederi
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 2.0.8
Operating System: Windows Vista/XP

Postby mederi » 20 Oct 2020 15:35

I found the solution was to change Audio - Stereo Mode from Original to Stereo.
Thanks for the tip. I had similar experience with some 5.1 audio in the past. I could not make VLC to play it properly for me (volume normalizer, dynamic range compressor). I had to use some other player (like ffplay) that could play it well without any special settings. You can force the default stereo mode in VLC preferences (Tools > Preferences > Show settings=All > Audio: Stereo audio output mode [Stereo]; "Mono" is missing in the list, but it is possible to edit "vlcrc" file: stereo-mode=7).

Konichiwa
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Konichiwa » 01 Dec 2020 17:06

I was just wondering....

If VLC can remember where you left off on a file and ask you: "Do you want to resume playback where you left off?", then why can't VLC also remember the volume you selected for that same file?

How do you make such a suggestion to VLC developers? Remember "volume level" option.

wonderboy2die4
New Cone
New Cone

Postby wonderboy2die4 » 09 Jun 2023 09:28

Does not help at all. In the playback window, the talking reach 1 bar and when I hear action it goes up to 5 bars. So I still have to play with the volume.

New Cone
New Cone

Postby 84926173 » 27 Jul 2023 21:48

Thank you !
It works

homtanks
New Cone
New Cone

Postby homtanks » 04 Aug 2024 05:12

Yes It helps thank you very much....