Eliminate file associations in VLC

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
loninappleton
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Eliminate file associations in VLC

Postby loninappleton » 24 Nov 2012 04:11

Too many file associations in the new VLC 2.0.4. I had a time of it just trying to delete everything it attaches to after I had selected no file associations on a reinstall.

However, a helpful site had a work around for this intrusion. The suggestion was to install the VLC Portable version.
Portable version contains all the same tools so far as I can tell and the media screen looks the same.

If you have this file association problem:

Uninstall VLC using ad/remove in the Windows XP etc control panel.

Then run Start > Search > All files and folders > *vlc*.*

You will see several files listed. Delete those four or so files with names like 'prefetch.' Run Start > Search again just to make sure.

Install VLC Portable 2.0.4 and the rest of your system should load the file associations it already has for other programs.

To use VLC with an AVI, right click on the AVI and request Open with... Browse to VLC and enjoy your media.

Hopefully future versions of VLC will make it clear and understood what mass file associations will do to your computer and have a safe and reliable alternative to avoid this in the future.

edwardw
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.0-git

Re: Eliminate file associations in VLC

Postby edwardw » 05 Dec 2012 13:36

Hopefully future versions of VLC will make it clear and understood what mass file associations will do to your computer and have a safe and reliable alternative to avoid this in the future.
This is nonsense.

Darr247
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Darr247 » 18 Jan 2013 22:09

Actually, it's nonsense that VLC takes over everything even when you UNcheck all the extensions during the installation, then gives you no way to change associations without uninstalling it and installing it again.

edwardw
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby edwardw » 18 Jan 2013 22:24

Actually, it's nonsense that VLC takes over everything even when you UNcheck all the extensions during the installation, then gives you no way to change associations without uninstalling it and installing it again.
This is still nonsense. VLC 2.0.x nightlies, as of January 18, 2013, when installed as following, UNCHECKING all extensions during the install as follows, do NOT take over any media extensions.

Tested on Windows 7.

Darr247
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Darr247 » 20 Jan 2013 10:28

Well, I unchecked them all when installing it, my FLACs used to open in WMP, and now they all have the little orange cone icon and double clicking them calls VLC.

edwardw
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby edwardw » 20 Jan 2013 13:02

Then either you did not uncheck it properly like above, or you have rogue associations leftover from a previous install. Completely uninstall and reset your file extensions and re-install VLC.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”