MPEG-4/3GPP Timed Text Subtitles?

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
Elias
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

MPEG-4/3GPP Timed Text Subtitles?

Postby Elias » 26 May 2005 22:59

It is possible to choose the subtitles, and no error message pops up, but when opening the message window, this is what is being displayed:
main debug: control type=17
main debug: looking for decoder module: 24 candidates
main error: no suitable decoder module for fourcc `tx3g'.
VLC probably does not support this sound or video format.
main debug: killing decoder fourcc `tx3g', 0 PES in FIFO
3GPP Timed Text and MPEG-4 Timed Text is exactly the same in the *.mp4 container, the fourcc/media sub type tx3g is being used for higher compatibility.
For more information on MPEG-4 Timed Text, check these links:
http://developer.apple.com/documentatio ... index.html
http://gpac.sourceforge.net/auth_text.php
http://haali.cs.msu.ru/mkv/ (the haali media splitter, can parse tx3g in the *.mp4 container, perhaps the developer of that parser can help out?)
I am using Windows XP SP2, and the latest VLC from the nightly builds.
Would be nice if this could be fixed. Thanks.
Last edited by Elias on 02 Oct 2005 10:27, edited 1 time in total.

Teetrinker
Cone that earned his stripes

Postby Teetrinker » 19 Aug 2005 11:23

Elias
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Elias » 20 Aug 2005 03:55

Has anyone actually cared to give this a look? I mean, a bugfix is what's needed here.

Teetrinker

Postby Teetrinker » 26 Aug 2005 10:47

The sample is now in the incoming directory of the streams ftp too.

1Video_2Audio_2SUBs(timed text streams).mp4

Postby Guest » 26 Aug 2005 14:33

How did you create the sample? Was it with MP4Box?

Teetrinker

Postby Teetrinker » 26 Aug 2005 14:59

Yes, it was created with MP4Box. File Brand is ISOM without BIFS/OD Track.

In Osmo4 it look this way:

Elias
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Elias » 26 Aug 2005 15:20

Yes, it was created with MP4Box. File Brand is ISOM without BIFS/OD Track.

In Osmo4 it look this way:

Osmo4 can play it. So can QuickTime (must be renamed to 3gp while running in QuickTime).

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master
VLC version: git
Operating System: Mac OS X

Postby The DJ » 26 Aug 2005 22:12

VLC currently does not yet support Timed Text. I'll create a ticket, and perhaps when i have time, i'll try to support it in the next release.
Don't use PMs for support questions.

Postby Guest » 26 Aug 2005 22:16

VLC currently does not yet support Timed Text. I'll create a ticket, and perhaps when i have time, i'll try to support it in the next release.
Great! How do I create tickets?

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby The DJ » 26 Aug 2005 22:21

bond
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby bond » 01 Oct 2005 10:27

just for completeness: vlc already has some incompliant and unfinished support for CREATING mpeg-4 times text streams if i recall it correctly

afaik these vlc created streams already also play in vlc

so what would be needed would be to adopt the already existing implementation (written by fenrir afaik) to comply with the mpeg-4 specs

Elias
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Elias » 01 Oct 2005 11:25

just for completeness: vlc already has some incompliant and unfinished support for CREATING mpeg-4 times text streams if i recall it correctly

afaik these vlc created streams already also play in vlc

so what would be needed would be to adopt the already existing implementation (written by fenrir afaik) to comply with the mpeg-4 specs
Yes, that would be great. The MPEG-4 specs you're talking about, is it with the 3GPP Timed Text fourcc (tx3g), or the more unused MPEG-4 Timed Text (can't recall what it was) fourcc?

Oh and by the way, stick to the standards, that's the best thing to do. Just my advice anyway :)

bond
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby bond » 01 Oct 2005 11:49

3gpp timed text and mpeg-4 timed text are identical. the mpeg-4 standard document basically only refers to the 3gpp one from what i remember

Elias
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Elias » 01 Oct 2005 11:50

Sample

I re-uploaded the mp4 file since the first one was deleted due to inactivity.

Here are some great developer documentation from Apple that really might help you out. The developer of MP4Box read them and he added more support for the MPEG-4 Timed Text into later builds of MP4Box. I'm not sure if Apple's developer documentation is 110% ISO MPEG-4 standard compliant (bond, you know if it is or not?), but seeing how Apple actually have been part of founding the mp4 container, and that they're quite ahead in the MPEG-4 support, I'd say that their word is to count on.
3gpp timed text and mpeg-4 timed text are identical. the mpeg-4 standard document basically only refers to the 3gpp one from what i remember
What do you mean? Why create two identical standards? Sounds redundant and stupid.
Last edited by Elias on 01 Oct 2005 15:41, edited 1 time in total.

bond
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby bond » 01 Oct 2005 12:37

apple's quicktime only supports timed text placed in .3gp! yeah, .3gp is nearly the same as .mp4, but still they dont support timed text in .mp4

why? dunno. they also support 6channel aac only in .mov, but not in .mp4, altough mov and mp4 is also very similar

using the same standard in both 3gpp and mpeg-4 is imho a very good thing as it should make interoperability easier and broader which is the point of standards after all

Teetrinker

Postby Teetrinker » 01 Oct 2005 13:07

..., but seeing how Apple actually have been part of founding the mp4 container, and that they're quite ahead in the MPEG-4 support, I'd say that their word is to count on.
I wouldn't say that apple is ahead in the MPEG-4 support. I would say their MPEG-4 support is poor. The Quick Time Player is one of the worst players for mp4 files, IMO. But the player is honest, if it comes to mp4 content that he doesn't support.

Dependent from the MPEG-4 part, I would trust other people more than apple.

Apples player is like the most players around, more or less, a mov player. But that is my opinion and I am have a favor for MPEG-4 Systems.

Back to the SUBs, I would prefere subtitle realized through a BIFS animation stream. The animation stream would be more flexible if you want to use effects. The text in the animation stream don't have to be real text, it could be a vector graphic.
But for compatibility reason I would use timed text. It is more likely that this will supported by more players.

Elias
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Elias » 01 Oct 2005 13:17

..., but seeing how Apple actually have been part of founding the mp4 container, and that they're quite ahead in the MPEG-4 support, I'd say that their word is to count on.
I wouldn't say that apple is ahead in the MPEG-4 support. I would say their MPEG-4 support is poor. The Quick Time Player is one of the worst players for mp4 files, IMO. But the player is honest, if it comes to mp4 content that he doesn't support.

Dependent from the MPEG-4 part, I would trust other people more than apple.

Apples player is like the most players around, more or less, a mov player. But that is my opinion and I am have a favor for MPEG-4 Systems.
I know that Apple's MPEG-4 support sucks. Hell, their MPEG-4 Part 2 doesn't even support Advanced Simple Profile. I was comparing them more with DivX, and even though DivX gives better encoding quality, and supports more advanced features like B-Frames/GMC/QPel etc, let's face it: DivX doesn't follow the MPEG-4 standard very well at all; they've pretty much concocted up their own standard. The QT Player sucks a lot (it has some nifty editing features though), but my take on it is that if an mp4 file works in QT, it generally works everywhere else. But yeah, back to the subs.

The DJ
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby The DJ » 07 Oct 2005 23:52

Should be working now btw in the development tree (since today)

Elias
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Elias » 08 Oct 2005 06:43

Awesome! Care to give any link to the latest development tree that can handle it?

Edit: I tried it out now, and it does work. However, there are still some minor issues that need to be worked on.

1. Wrong fourcc is being displayed in the stream and media info window. It should be tx3g and not subt.
2. MPEG-4/3GPP Timed Text is only encoded in either UTF-8 or UTF-16. Apparently, the latest VLC trunk cannot handle displaying characters like å ä ö since they're b0rked here when I tried it with the sample.

Teetrinker

Postby Teetrinker » 08 Oct 2005 12:12

2. MPEG-4/3GPP Timed Text is only encoded in either UTF-8 or UTF-16. Apparently, the latest VLC trunk cannot handle displaying characters like å ä ö since they're b0rked here when I tried it with the sample.
At SUSE 9.2 I have no problems with special characters. The subtitle coding is set to "System Default" (somewhere hidden in the VLC settings), and the system use UTF-8 ;) .

Elias
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Elias » 08 Oct 2005 12:42

At SUSE 9.2 I have no problems with special characters. The subtitle coding is set to "System Default" (somewhere hidden in the VLC settings), and the system use UTF-8 ;) .

That seems to be the case for you. I have it on ISO 8859-1, and most Windows users do. However, MPEG-4 Subtitles should be decoded as UTF-8 or UTF-16 by default (depending on what they were encoded with), because that's what the subtitles are encoded in. Here in Windows, it's not working with those non-latin letters (not for me at least).

Edit: I just switched to UTF-8 in the VLC settings, and the non-latin letters work now. An auto-detect MPEG-4 text encoding for VLC would rule, because you never know what people living in Japan use for text encoding on their operating systems, and besides, UTF-8 is a nice Unicode standard :)

By the way: thanks a lot for this update! It was really the only thing I found missing with VLC :)
Last edited by Elias on 08 Oct 2005 16:48, edited 3 times in total.

bond
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby bond » 08 Oct 2005 14:05

great stuff, thx a lot!

i have some questions:
- does vlc support any of the more advanced features, like color, font, italic aso...? you can find a list of what all is possible here
- does vlc support timed text in .3gp? i have the 3gpp timed text reference sample and vlc doesnt display any text in them
- does vlc take things like subtitle positioning into account?
- is the timed text creation code of vlc fixed now too? i tried the following cmdl on a .mkv and .ogm with a srt subtitle stream but the output .mp4 doesnt have a timed text stream (with old versions of vlc it worked):

Code: Select all

vlc input.mkv :sub-track=0 :sout=output.mp4

Elias
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Elias » 08 Oct 2005 16:22

does vlc take things like subtitle positioning into account?
Yes:

settings>preferences>input/codecs>other codecs>subtitles>subtitles justification> change position to your preferable position.

bond
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby bond » 09 Oct 2005 14:39

does vlc take things like subtitle positioning into account?
Yes:

settings>preferences>input/codecs>other codecs>subtitles>subtitles justification> change position to your preferable position.
no, i meant the positioning of the subs stored in .mp4 (yeah when creating a timed text stream in mp4 you can define where it should be displayed)

Elias
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Elias » 09 Oct 2005 14:42

no, i meant the positioning of the subs stored in .mp4 (yeah when creating a timed text stream in mp4 you can define where it should be displayed)
I knew that :) I just thought that you meant when watching.

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”