No sound in mkv file

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
avenar
New Cone
New Cone

No sound in mkv file

Postby avenar » 21 Apr 2012 00:22

I can play all kinds of files in VLC, and I wanted to watch some tv series, but there is no sound in each file.
Type: Sound
Codec: A52 Audio (aka AC3) (a52)
Language: English
Canals: 3F2R/LFE
Frequency 48000Hz

What can be the problem? Moreover, these files are not broken, because i can play them and have sound in other players but for VLC ;/.

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Re: No sound in mkv file

Postby Lotesdelere » 21 Apr 2012 09:47

AC-3 in MKV definitely works with VLC so it must be something wrong with your file.
Remux it with MKVToolnix and try again.

Or it might also be a wrong configuration of your output, especially if you're using a receiver.
There is a sound device issue with VLC 2.0.1 which will be fixed in VLC 2.0.2, meanwhile you can use a nightly build (vlc-2.0.0-xxxxxxxx-xxxx is v2.0.2).

avenar
New Cone
New Cone

Postby avenar » 21 Apr 2012 12:34

Well, remuxing and nightly build does not work, but i think the problem is:
"Audio: English, 5.1 Channel Dolby AC3"
I must have something wrong with VLC and this, any advices?

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 21 Apr 2012 19:47

Well, as I said it's working fine for me with any MKV file containing AC-3 I've tried, stereo or 5.1.

Are you sure you have enough sound volume ? Because by default the volume of AC-3 is lower than other codecs (see ticket 3994).

But about your non working files:

Please open Tools -> Messages (set Verbosity to 2) before you start the playback and then paste the full resulting log here or on Pastebin.com if it's too long.

Also upload a short sample of a problematic file to either http://streams.videolan.org/upload/ or to MirrorCreator.com or to EmbedUpload.com, so it will upload the file for you to several other hosts, and then post the link to the file here.

avenar
New Cone
New Cone

Postby avenar » 22 Apr 2012 13:20

1. Volume seems fine
2. I have tried GOM player and everything works perfectly
3. I guess i am not the only one who had this problem. There is a comment from the site i have downloaded "I solved the audio mystery. The Matroska container is damaged. Solution: ffmpeg -i damaged.mkv -vcodec copy -acodec ac3 -ab 192k -scodec copy new.mkv " (I have not tried doing it, if its damaged why does it work in GOM player?)
4. This problem occurs not only in my computer
5. Problem occurs in every file in the last 4 seasons of tv series (English, 5.1 Channel AC3)
6. As far as i remember it didnt happen in older seasons (Dolby Digital AC3 (2-channel))
7. http://pastebin.com/KcVQVWRp
8. File is to upload, any way to cut it down?

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 22 Apr 2012 13:35

8. Tool called MKVMerge GUI (comes with MKVtoolnix) can be used to cut MKV files (Split option).

avenar
New Cone
New Cone

Postby avenar » 22 Apr 2012 14:45

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 23 Apr 2012 08:27

I'm having troubles with this file with every player I've tried. Depending on the player it's either sound troubles or video freezes every 5 seconds or so, and at the end it leads to huge audio/video sync problems. The file is using Header Stripping but I'm not sure where the problem lies.

You should create a ticket on the VLC Trac with a link to the log and to the non working file.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 23 Apr 2012 11:58

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Postby Lotesdelere » 24 Apr 2012 10:52

I have noticed that some players, like foobar2000, are reporting a sample rate of 0Hz for this AC-3 stream, so I guess this is the root of the problem.

Mythic Creature
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Mythic Creature » 24 Apr 2012 21:51

Had same problem with a season of Smallville. Only solution I've found so far is through the Playstation Media Player which has no problem detecting the sound. Unfortunately you'll need both a PS3 and a computer to stream the video from but if you have these then problem solved! I don't know why VLC doesn't play the audio but it is still the best media player out there.

Hazuzi
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Hazuzi » 09 Oct 2012 09:10

I think i have the same problem, only thread that describes what im experiencing too...

I have two episodes of Smallville (Season 10 EP 17+18) the downloaded file works but has annoying subtitles on forced. I have another srt file i want to include in it BUT when im done remuxing (incl a title change, its using the comment "thanks 5663" as the title for the whole season -annoying-) the sound is not played, also the duration of the file changes from 41:47 to 41:49 and nothing in the duration of video/audio/subtitles is that long both subtitle tracks stop a minute before the end and the video and audio tracks change the duration somehow...

Conclusion:
Original File - works
remuxed file - stinks^^

anybody an idea ? if the log is needed i can upload it in pastebin and post a link here

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 09 Oct 2012 21:51

How to you remux?
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

Hazuzi
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Hazuzi » 09 Oct 2012 23:20

Well im using mkvmerge gui to do that because i havent found anything better yet, what is as easy to use as this...
Well...like im saying havent found a solution yet.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 10 Oct 2012 13:52

mkvmerge latest version should be ok.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

Hazuzi
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Hazuzi » 11 Oct 2012 15:31

Well ill try that and come back^^

fabro
New Cone
New Cone

Postby fabro » 14 Oct 2012 11:25

Hi,

i have the same audio problem ( Codec : A52 Audio (aka AC3) (a52) / Canaux : 3F2R / LFE ) on some avi files ( Codec : MPEG-4 Video DX50 )

Moreover, the length of movie have curious value : 3842:14:11. Windows 7 display also this strange value in Windows File ( bottom of windows ) when i select it.

With a video editing program like Magix vidéo pro X4, the true length value is 1h50m17s + 13 frames. I have video and sound with my DVD player ( hard Drive connect on player with USB link ). Some videos are build from DVD Fab 8 with audio profile "directaudio copy" ( "mp3" work fine but i can't use the 5 channels of AC3 for my DVD player and Home theater ).

VLC release used : 2.0.3.

Hazuzi
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Hazuzi » 18 Oct 2012 09:24

Hey,
i found out that my problem persists with the remuxing not a specific file, i remuxed the new show of jeff dunham to get uncensored audio and i still got the same problem.

Should i reinstall codecs or something???

Thanks in advance

TypX
Developer
Developer

Postby TypX » 19 Oct 2012 11:49

I already started investigating this issue... it's a timing issue either in libvlc or mkv demux. It seems to be related to 5.1 AC3.
Sadly I still have to figure out a way to fix it.

Hazuzi
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Hazuzi » 19 Oct 2012 12:43

Well one part of the question is, is it a problem by vlc or something, which i do not believe since the original file is played fine, only AFTER the remux with mkvtoolnix ("No Sleep / Pillow") v5.8.0 the file seems somehow corrupted or something maybe some kind of log for you to look at?

freddyd
New Cone
New Cone

Postby freddyd » 31 Oct 2017 22:31

I use MPC for this. Because vlc 3 nb crashes everytime I played a MKV with 8 acc Audio channel . You can download MPC together with K-Light Codec pack.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”