How can I save the video window position?

macOS specific usage questions
mr_a500
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 0.8.6 - present
Operating System: MacOS / BeOS / Amiga

How can I save the video window position?

Postby mr_a500 » 03 Jul 2012 04:07

Is there a way to get VLC (2.02) to remember the video window position? The main window/playlist position is remembered on exit, but apparently not the video window. It always defaults to the same position, near the centre of the screen, causing big videos to go half off-screen - which is... dumb. I constantly have to re-centre videos on the screen.

fkuehne
Developer
Developer
VLC version: 0.4.6 - present
Operating System: Darwin

Re: How can I save the video window position?

Postby fkuehne » 04 Jul 2012 17:28

uhm, I've got to say frankly that this isn't implemented for the separate video output window. Let's do that! :-)
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne
Medic. VLC developer for appleOS since before you were born.
Blog: https://www.feepk.net

mr_a500
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 0.8.6 - present
Operating System: MacOS / BeOS / Amiga

Postby mr_a500 » 04 Jul 2012 18:12

uhm, I've got to say frankly that this isn't implemented for the separate video output window. Let's do that! :-)
Yes, please do. :D

A "Centre videos on screen" option might be nice too.

kdean
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 2.2
Operating System: Mac OS

Postby kdean » 04 Jul 2012 20:32

Currently it's not even consistent.

When a large video first opens, it's off-center with video going off the edge, but if you close and re-open it's centered. Then smaller videos seems to coincide with the upper left 0,0 coordinate set by the last large video opened.

Rolandas
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Rolandas » 12 Jul 2012 20:08

I hate that too. its so annoying having to resize the window (especially that a custom theme allowed that only from right lower corner which is not accessible in video window is too big for the screen). Does anyone know is that will be address and resolved any time soon. would not want to switch the player...

dfuhrmann
Developer
Developer

Postby dfuhrmann » 12 Jul 2012 20:40

... with video going off the edge
I fixed that for the next version. The screen bounds are already respected when the video is too large for the whole screen, so it seems reasonable to also do that in this case.
For the other things mentioned, we need to address that later.

OldBoater
New Cone
New Cone

Postby OldBoater » 20 Jul 2012 21:38

July 20, 2012
I just now downloaded and installed the latest version, because I was having the same problem as other users mentioned here. However, this newest version still can't position and remember the 'last' position used. Even if I change the shape of the video output window to a size I like (by using the 'resizing handles' on the player), then (while it's still on the screen) I try various alternative settings from the Video drop-down list, the player window I had goes beserk and relocates itself. I've tried setting the Options, but they are not remembered, especially when I dbl-click on a filename in my Win7 folder. (Note: I'm using Windows 7 Professional 64-bit CPU). That really shouldn't make a difference, I hope!

dfuhrmann posted this:
I fixed that for the next version. The screen bounds are already respected when the video is too large for the whole screen, so it seems reasonable to also do that in this case.
For the other things mentioned, we need to address that later.
I can't see that the "screen bounds" are being respected, since some videos I play run completly off the far right edge of my 23" HDMI monitor! I have to constantly resize the handles of the video window to get the movie back inside the bounds of my monitor display. A pain. And, these are videos that I captured myself, with this same monitor.

I'm not sure, and I'm supposing he's one of the authors of this software? In any event, he didn't mention a date, even an approximate date, when a "fixed version" will be available. I'm hoping soon, since this problem never happened to me in earlier versions of VLC Media Player.

kdean
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 2.2
Operating System: Mac OS

Postby kdean » 21 Jul 2012 01:20

(Note: I'm using Windows 7 Professional 64-bit CPU). That really shouldn't make a difference, I hope!
You should report your issues in the Windows forum and not the Mac forum.

viewforum.php?f=14

spritle
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby spritle » 22 Dec 2013 04:46

This remains a problem with 2.1.2. It's infuriating that there's no rhyme or reason as to where it positions the viewer window. It just seems to want to start as low on the screen as possible. Virtually every other program I use remembers the last position of windows in the preferences. It still remembers the size and position of the playlist windows as it has for years, but the viewer window still hasn't been fixed.

dfuhrmann
Developer
Developer

Postby dfuhrmann » 23 Dec 2013 17:00

This should work for extra video windows, actually. Try resetting preferences, and try the bright UI style.

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”