New interface layout for VLC 2.0 is a setback

macOS specific usage questions
ChesnyMelby
New Cone
New Cone

New interface layout for VLC 2.0 is a setback

Postby ChesnyMelby » 02 Jul 2012 21:40

I love VLC as much as anybody, having used it over the years on several platforms and computers, even to the point of force-uninstalling feature-bloated iTunes from my Apple computer, enjoying the utter simplicity of VLC 1.x Media Library function.

It am saddened to see how VLC 2.x is aping the interface layout of iTunes with a mandatory sidebar that can not be hidden. It strikes me as a strangely Real Networks Real Audio Player like that VLC users are faced (admittedly most non-commercial) with lists and lists of internet radio streams. What happened to the clean and strict focus on playing audio and video files and streams? The version 2 interface is a major setback in presupposing that everybody use VLC in the same way (accesing internet streams), thus rendering it less flexible for the users.

Please note that I have taken the time to write this note in acknowledgement of all the hard work that make VLC what it is. I can't sit silent while the interface is down-watered to playlist based iTunes / Apple-standards.

kdean
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 2.2
Operating System: Mac OS

Re: New interface layout for VLC 2.0 is a setback

Postby kdean » 02 Jul 2012 23:15

The sidebar is not mandatory and can be hidden. Maybe you haven't discovered the method.

http://feepk.net/customizing-vlc-for-mac

ChesnyMelby
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ChesnyMelby » 09 Jul 2012 19:28

I realize that is an option, but functionally you need to be able to switch from playlist to media library, forcing you to constantly hide/unhide the sidebar. The work flow of the program broken without the sidebar, which is why the hide option will only work for users who are only in playlist mode.

kdean
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby kdean » 09 Jul 2012 20:02

Then you can hide the sub-contents of each section "My Computer", "Local Network" and "Internet" by hovering over each and clicking Hide. Then the sidebar will be relatively trim in it's contents. It's not really that big of a deal. The sidebar just provides more organization options than before.

ChesnyMelby
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ChesnyMelby » 11 Jul 2012 13:46

kdean, I see what you mean, and I did discover that you can hide the content of the lists, but not the headers. I'm just getting an ugly notion that this design choice (forcing people to see some feature they do not want) is the first step from a minimalistic workhorse program (VLC 1.9.x) to a feature-bloated smorgasboard (Azureus > Vuze, Realplayer), thats forcefeeding the user weird lists of web content the user don't care to know about.

What's VLC about at its core?
Playing back content?
Being a web content browser?

Thank you for your replies.

kdean
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby kdean » 11 Jul 2012 16:26

FYI, Vuze can be run in Classic GUI mode which is just like the old Azureus without all the extra stuff you probably don't like.... so at least there's options.

Metin Kul
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Metin Kul » 12 Jul 2012 03:50

Yeah alright and wheres the option to have the classic GUI of VLC? :/

kdean
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby kdean » 12 Jul 2012 04:32

Except for the exact visual appearance, you can return to the classic layout of VLC (small controller, separate video window) by following the instructions provided at the feepk.net link above.

dfuhrmann
Developer
Developer

Postby dfuhrmann » 12 Jul 2012 12:49

@ChesnyMelby: I share your optinion regarding some programs, which become bigger and bigger, and also slower in the same move.

But for VLC 2.0, please note that the situation is a little different here: VLC had most of these functions for a long time already! The only difference is, that in order to access these features you can use the sidebar now (in older versions, you needed to activate them through a menu item). So, the only difference is a improved accessibility. AFAIK, these extra modules are also loaded only when you directly access them through clicking on the respective sidebar item.

Therefore, I think it should be no problem to have the items in the sidebar (or just only the headings), as they don't do anything evil here.

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”