Why Still No Rewind & Fast Forward Function In VLC?

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
wibbly
New Cone
New Cone

Why Still No Rewind & Fast Forward Function In VLC?

Postby wibbly » 09 Apr 2008 02:06

Been watching and occasionally using VLC for some time now but I still see that there is no Rewind and Fast Forward function in VLC. THIS IS A MAJOR OMISSION!

I would love to use VLC more often, but without these functions it just does not cut it as a media player for me. Every other media player I've ever used has a rewind and fast forward. VLC does have fast play which works quite well for fast forward, but it is not the same as normal fast forward as it's max speed is limited to 8x, and it is probably much more processing intensive than normal fast foward.

I use rewind and fast forward constantly when watching video recordings (mainly from DVB broadcasts) - rewind to accurately move to and replay parts that I cannot take in all at once, and fast forward to accurately move over parts such as adverts etc. VLC does have skip/jump/step etc but these are fixed time jumps and therefore it is not possible to use them to accurately search through a specific part of a recording. With rewind and fast forward you can accurately search through a recording as you can see where in the video you are navigating.

Why have these been omitted from VLC for so long? Surely they are essential for any media player? Do you know of any other media player that does not have rewind and fast forward?

Come on VLC developers, please, please can you put these functions in. Without them VLC is severely lacking. With them, and VLC truely becomes a fully featured media player, one that I would use regularly.

lose311
New Cone
New Cone

Re: Why Still No Rewind & Fast Forward Function In VLC?

Postby lose311 » 10 Apr 2008 03:42

I thought the same thing when i first got VLC, but I really like the time jump features now and have no need for a normal fast fwd/reverse.

I have ALT-FWD short fwd jump, CTRL-FWD medium fwd jump, and ALT-CTRL-FWD long fwd jump. the same with backwards but using back arrow instead of forward arrow.

This works really well, especially for skipping commercials and getting to good parts or replaying missed sections. With these six options, i really cant think of a reason i would need the normal fast forward capability.

omodecarton
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Postby omodecarton » 25 Apr 2008 09:45

It is true, but the fastfoward and rewind function are more usable than skipping second

resnak
New Cone
New Cone

Postby resnak » 28 Apr 2008 06:21

I have to agree that the jumps work pretty well. With the CTRL, ALT, and SHIFT jumps, which allow for different jump times, they have all of the options I think I could look for. In addition is the fact that I can adjust every one of them to exactly what I want. I think that all makes for a pretty smooth experience at the keyboard.

However, if you're using a remote control, as I've been playing around with for a while, some kind of interface that would allow speeding up and slowing down by two different commands (the same as you have on a DVD player) would be pretty beneficial. I'm sure there is some way around this with the very configurable options out there like HIP http://byremote.com.au/ and such but still, if it was built in it would be just that much easier.

agrajag
New Cone
New Cone

Postby agrajag » 23 May 2012 19:12

First off, I am a fan of the slow forward function, but why replace the rewind function with it. They have different functions. If your going backwards in major increments it is easy enough to use to navigate. However when trying to get a specific frame it and you go to far you need a way to go backwards slowly.
I am also a huge fan of the acceleration playing with sound. I do miss the older versions with the compressed wavelength.
I have no idea how hard it would be to code but i would like to see and hear a rewind feature with audio.

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”