VLC won't play my blu rays

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Arite
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.20
Operating System: Debian Testing|Win10

Re: VLC won't play my blu rays

Postby Arite » 22 Feb 2012 13:05

Blu-Ray error:
Your system AACS decoding library does not work. Missing keys?
Your input can't be opened:
VLC is unable to open the MRL 'bluray:///D:/'. Check the log for details.
AFAIK that means libaacs.dll is there and working, but it can't see KEYDB.cfg.

Just to clarify, you can get to the %appdata% folder by typing in %appdata% into the Windows Start menu search (on Win7 anyway), or enter it into the Windows Explorer address bar and press Enter. In there make an "aacs" folder and put the KEYDB.cfg in that.

I've managed to get VLC playing certain titles (mostly without sound) but it's still quite buggy. If you manage to get a disc working, try specifying the title to play in the Open Media dialog box before pressing Play.

Also, from what I understand, if you inserted a disc that updates the drives MKB (and so hosts revocation list), then the KEYDB.cfg provided is not any use (newer keys are needed).

Arite.
Don't use PMs for support questions.

Flanter
New Cone
New Cone
VLC version: 3.0.0
Operating System: Windows 10

Postby Flanter » 22 Feb 2012 13:15

Artie,

Does revocation mean that my drive won't read blu-rays anymore? Because of WinDVD can do it even now, and VLC can't.

KEYDB.cfg is in right place, I can see that VLC reads this file (by using Process Monitor by SysInternals).

Btw, I have Vista Home Premium x64.

Arite
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.20
Operating System: Debian Testing|Win10

Postby Arite » 22 Feb 2012 16:18

WinDVD doesn't use KEYDB.cfg as it will have a licenced closed source library to decode the discs. From my understanding, it is possible for a new disc to update the drive so that the keys in KEYDB.cfg no longer work, so newer keys are needed. I'm far from an expert though.

As for doing the whole "BD_DEBUG_MASK=255 vlc.exe -vvv" thing on Windows - BD_DEBUG_MASK is an enviroment variable. So, open up Command Prompt, navigate to the directory containing VLC - e.g.:

Code: Select all

cd "C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC"
Then set the environment variable:

set BD_DEBUG_MASK=255
And run VLC:

vlc -vvv -I dummy bluray:///G:/
Where G: is your Blu-ray drives' drive letter. If you want to play a specific title do e.g.:

vlc -vvv -I dummy bluray:///G:/#2
Where 2 is the title you want to play.

You could equally make a *.bat file, put in in VLC's directory and just put those two lines (set env var, run VLC) and it should also work.

Arite.
Don't use PMs for support questions.

Moridrin
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Moridrin » 22 Feb 2012 17:19

I did exactly what you said, and I got this: http://staminconcert.com/images/003.png
Can someone help me with that?

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 22 Feb 2012 17:27

I did exactly what you said, and I got this: http://staminconcert.com/images/003.png
Can someone help me with that?
Noone can, until someone find a new certificate. The workaround could be to find on the internet a massive KEYDB.cfg with a lot of VUKs.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

TheFalcon
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby TheFalcon » 25 Feb 2012 19:20

I was having the same error. I put the aacs folder here C:\Users\*****\AppData\Roaming and it worked.
Thanks this worked for me

SavageMutt
New Cone
New Cone

Postby SavageMutt » 31 Mar 2012 12:37

I had the exact same issues you guys are describing. Turns out I had downloaded the incorrect libaacs.dll. Make sure you have the correct libaacs.dll:

Go to http://vlc-aacs.whoknowsmy.name/
Check the install directory of your VLC.

If the directory is: "c:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC" you need to download the 64bit dll.
If the directory is: "c:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC" you need to download the 32bit dll.

I am now able to play Blu Rays with no problem. Hope this helps!

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 31 Mar 2012 13:41

I am now able to play Blu Rays with no problem. Hope this helps!
Cool!
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

isamu
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby isamu » 08 Apr 2012 23:31

Are any of you guys able to get into the Bluray disc menu? If so, how? Also, I have AnyDVD HD and it causes VLC to crash if I run it.

Rasmfrackn
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Rasmfrackn » 11 Apr 2012 10:05

Thanks to Arite for giving me an exact command line string to use, and SavageMutt for pointing out that I'm using the 32-bit player and should probably use the 32-bit library. :)

The command line string actually works; my BD starts playing at the opening scene without the menus or anything, which is fine. When I try to run via the GUI and use Open Disk, it just sits there. It seems to be scanning through the playlist of the entire file list of the disk, so I'm probably just not pointing it to the right starting point. Does that sound reasonable, or am I missing something more subtle? It's not entirely obvious how to point VLC to anything more specific than "the disk" without digging into the file structure on the disk by hand.

Thanks!
Rasm

kvlc0588
New Cone
New Cone

Postby kvlc0588 » 14 Apr 2012 16:06

I am new to this forum and have followed all the instructions so far with much the same results as the people above.
I get the following error message

Blu-Ray error:
This Blu-Ray Disc needs a library for BD+ decoding, and your system does not have it.
VLC is unable to open the MRL 'bluray:///F:/'. Check the log for details.

Any help how to get passed this would be great
Thanks

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 15 Apr 2012 11:44

kdnewton
New Cone
New Cone

Postby kdnewton » 02 May 2012 18:49

Still not working for you?

Are you using Windows Vista/7 64bit? I am and I got it to work.

Try using the Win32 libaacs.dll on http://vlc-bluray.whoknowsmy.name/

Seriously. Worked for me. No restart required. Do the %appdata%/aacs/KEYDB.cfg thing. Close VLC. Drop in the 32bit libaacs.dll into the VideoLAN/VLC/ directory. Start VLC. Open Media>Disc>BluRay>Play.

cjmccarthy72
New Cone
New Cone

Postby cjmccarthy72 » 17 May 2012 22:44

I am a complete novice- how do you create a cfg file??- is it just saving the webpage you have listed as a textfile. I have tried that and the 32 bit O/S dll alternative solution and have progressed from errors which say "create an AACS library" to "missing keys"- LOL

EnigmaV8
New Cone
New Cone

THE FIX!!!

Postby EnigmaV8 » 18 May 2012 05:14

I'm about to make everyone's day...

There's a subtle note about this "experimental" AACS decoder library. It currently does not support titles. This simply means that, after you installed the two files to the proper locations mentioned at http://vlc-bluray.whoknowsmy.name, when you pick your drive to play of course pick the Bluray option but also BE SURE to check the "No disc menus" option. The Blu-ray will now play properly but it will default to Title 0 or the another main Title. Within VLC simply right-click --> Playback --> Title and pick the largest length Title since that is most likely the main movie. The other Titles will be the disc extras, previews, etc.

ace2020boyd
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ace2020boyd » 23 May 2012 08:25

yeah this just doesn't work. ive tried everything

Running Win 7 64bit

i placed the keys C:\Users\(username)\AppData\Roaming\aacs

placed the AACS dynamic library here C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC

launch vlc open disk-->Blu Ray--->no menus--->Play and

Blu-Ray error:
This Blu-Ray Disc needs a library for BD+ decoding, and your system does not have it.

EnigmaV8
New Cone
New Cone

Postby EnigmaV8 » 23 May 2012 15:45

yeah this just doesn't work. ive tried everything

Running Win 7 64bit

i placed the keys C:\Users\(username)\AppData\Roaming\aacs

placed the AACS dynamic library here C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC

launch vlc open disk-->Blu Ray--->no menus--->Play and

Blu-Ray error:
Yeah, you did it perfectly. Sounds like your BD has a newer security this current library can't decode. What movie is this? Have you tried some other ones?

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 23 May 2012 16:06

You are screwed, sorry :)

This disc needs BD+ and so far, this is not readable in any simple way... Use AnyDVD HD or something else to remove the protection.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf

ace2020boyd
New Cone
New Cone

Postby ace2020boyd » 23 May 2012 19:59

So far ive started testing some of my discs.

the first movie i used was Alien didnt work. Then i thought why not try the first blu ray i got which was The Omega Man that film worked! Then i tried another film To Kill A Mockingbird ( which is fairly new) worked! Ill see if AnyDVD will remove the protection to see if that works.

Edit: So far ive tried Alien with the AnyDVD and the movie will start playing but very very slowly and skippy

ShanePresley
New Cone
New Cone

Re: THE FIX!!!

Postby ShanePresley » 27 May 2012 00:50

I'm about to make everyone's day...

There's a subtle note about this "experimental" AACS decoder library. It currently does not support titles. This simply means that, after you installed the two files to the proper locations mentioned at http://vlc-bluray.whoknowsmy.name, when you pick your drive to play of course pick the Bluray option but also BE SURE to check the "No disc menus" option. The Blu-ray will now play properly but it will default to Title 0 or the another main Title. Within VLC simply right-click --> Playback --> Title and pick the largest length Title since that is most likely the main movie. The other Titles will be the disc extras, previews, etc.
Followed all of the steps, Win7-64 w/32-bit dll. The "No disc menus" finally did it. Playback is choppy and I noticed another VLC window was launched in the background with what appears to be extra features. It doesn't seem to interfere with playback except maybe stealing cycles and causing contention on the disc reading. Audio is from the main title. If I close the secondary window it also closes the primary. The disc is 'Role Models'.

Flanter
New Cone
New Cone
VLC version: 3.0.0
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: THE FIX!!!

Postby Flanter » 27 May 2012 15:40

Playback is choppy
Yes, I have noticed that too: approx. once a minute there was a small glitch on the Disney's "Bolt" movie. May be I should have play with settings, i.e. hardware decoding or something like that? VLC was installed on the clean machine and no settings were changed. The protection has been removed by AnyDVD HD.

BVKnight
New Cone
New Cone

Postby BVKnight » 02 Jun 2012 03:50

I finally got it to work!

Like a lot of people here, I followed all the instructions to the letter, but nothing was working. I am on Windows 7 64-bit. I realized after that one person's post that I had installed the 32-bit version of VLC, since it was in the Program Files (x86) directory, so I downloaded the 32-bit dll to try again, but with no luck.

So then I went to the VLC site and downloaded the experiment 64-bit version of VLC (you have to do a little searching), and it installed to the Program Files directory. I downloaded the 64-bit dll and put it in the Program Files/VideoLan/VLC folder, launched vlc from that folder, opened the blu-ray with the "blu ray" option, checked the "No Titles" box, and it worked!

I hope this helps someone else. Bottom line: Try the 64-bit version of VLC with the correct dll.

jjroller
New Cone
New Cone

Postby jjroller » 03 Jun 2012 14:51

I finally got it to work!

Like a lot of people here, I followed all the instructions to the letter, but nothing was working. I am on Windows 7 64-bit. I realized after that one person's post that I had installed the 32-bit version of VLC, since it was in the Program Files (x86) directory, so I downloaded the 32-bit dll to try again, but with no luck.

So then I went to the VLC site and downloaded the experiment 64-bit version of VLC (you have to do a little searching), and it installed to the Program Files directory. I downloaded the 64-bit dll and put it in the Program Files/VideoLan/VLC folder, launched vlc from that folder, opened the blu-ray with the "blu ray" option, checked the "No Titles" box, and it worked!

I hope this helps someone else. Bottom line: Try the 64-bit version of VLC with the correct dll.
This has worked for me, thank you!

Windows 7, 64bit
VLC experimental version for Windows 64bit http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html

From here http://vlc-aacs.whoknowsmy.name/ the KEYDB.cfg file. I put that file in the folder C:\Users\*****\AppData\Roaming\aacs
where the ***** is your username.
The "aacs" folder didn't exist before, I created it there and copied the file inside.

Again from here http://vlc-aacs.whoknowsmy.name/ the AACS dynamic library for Windows 64bit.
I copied that file in here C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC

Launched VLC, open Disc, "no menu in the disc", playback.
It works.
Thank you everybody for your help, and thank to BVKnight for suggesting to download the experimental 64bit version of VLC!

joconnorca
New Cone
New Cone

Postby joconnorca » 10 Jun 2012 19:11

FINALLY got mine to play as well....experimental 64 bit was the ticket! I'd still love the menu's but hey...I love my VLC!!! always been there for me!

and way to access the disc menu though?

last post had all the right steps! THANK YOU!!!

electronicsguy
New Cone
New Cone

Postby electronicsguy » 19 Jun 2012 11:14

Confirmed!! This really is the fix for playing encrypted bluray in win 7 64-bit. (with vlc 32-bit, I used to get the same error as above: "missing keys?")

I played John Carter (US) bluray today without any problems. (the skipping forward is a bit jerky but playback itself is smooth).

vlc maintainers: thanks for the great work. please mention this workaround on your website windows section for others.

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”