Horrible SOUND in VLC v2.0.1

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
lefreak
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Horrible SOUND in VLC v2.0.1

Postby lefreak » 11 Apr 2012 00:30

The sound in the newest version is really terrible, I tried all audio output modules, but always there is a clipping and other artefacts. Afect MP3 files also, not only video files!

Windows XP SP3, AMD Athlon XP 2600+, 1024 RAM
DirectX Sound (Hardware SoundMAX Digital Audio). DirectX-Diagnostic-Programm works fine, no problem there.

After uninstalling VLC v2.0.1 and going back to v1.1.11 all problems disappear. Didn't you say, the sound would be better? ;)

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Re: Horrible SOUND in VLC v2.0.1

Postby Lotesdelere » 11 Apr 2012 08:43

You can try to:

- Force the number of FFmpeg threads to 4 or 2 or even 1
Menu Tools -> Preferences (Show Settings = ALL) -> Input/Codecs -> Video Codecs -> FFmpeg

- Use a faster resampler by setting the Sample Rate Converter type to Zero Holder Hold
Menu Tools -> Preferences (Show Settings = ALL) -> Audio -> SRC Resampler

- Depending on your system, hardware and drivers, some people have reported not to go over 100% volume, 149% being the strict upper limit.

After the changes save the preferences then exit and restart VLC.

lefreak
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby lefreak » 11 Apr 2012 09:42

But why didn't I EVER have problems with VLC v1.x.x? Have you changed anything important regarding those settings that you have mentioned?

I will try to install VLC 2.0.1 tomorrow when I have time, for now, v1.1.11 is really perfect, don't know, why the developers have touched so deep a working system ;)

jpvrla
New Cone
New Cone

Postby jpvrla » 11 May 2012 21:13

I concur with others that I cannot use VLC audio any longer. The sound is much better using Gnome media player or Rythmnbox. I suspect that some of the many adjustable variables need to be adjusted but this is beyond my expertise.

BadLandsMeanie
New Cone
New Cone

Postby BadLandsMeanie » 16 May 2012 02:42

Im not complaining I guess because the program is good and it's free :)

But I have to say I am surprised. I use VLC to watch video and to listen to music. I downloaded the latest VLC version, only to find it is now unusable to listen to music because the audio is so bad.

So I was expecting some kind of show of concern here from the developers.

It's broken. You broke it. It doesn't work. I have to get something else now. Don't you care? I expected you would!

Anyway thank you for it I will use it for movies still I guess but I have to get something for music that works.

lefreak
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Horrible SOUND in VLC v2.0.3

Postby lefreak » 10 Sep 2012 04:56

The sound in v2.0.3 is still horrible and not usable, although you say there have been many improvements in audio quality. Just bring back the excellent sound of v.1.1.11

Windows XP SP3, AMD Athlon XP 2600+, 1024 RAM

I tried:
- Force the number of FFmpeg threads to 4 or 2 or even 1
Menu Tools -> Preferences (Show Settings = ALL) -> Input/Codecs -> Video Codecs -> FFmpeg
- Use a faster resampler by setting the Sample Rate Converter type to Zero Holder Hold
Menu Tools -> Preferences (Show Settings = ALL) -> Audio -> SRC Resampler
- 100% volume, 149% being the strict upper limit.

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 10 Sep 2012 18:34

There are alreayd plenty of threads on this. But really, sound has always been horrible above 100%, by design. There is no "excellent sound" to bring back; just keep your control below 100% at all time.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”