RTSP timeout with VLC as client

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
YourselfHimself
New Cone
New Cone

RTSP timeout with VLC as client

Postby YourselfHimself » 19 Apr 2012 21:41

My question is with regards to VLC not resuming an RTSP session after link with the server has been lost for a fixed amount of time.

My setup is very basic: I have an AXIS camera streaming an RTP video feed. I am using the VLC player to playback this stream. I want to disable the rtp timeout or set it to an obscenely high number, because I frequently lose connection to the camera and want VLC to resume playing immediately when the connection returns.

The problem is that the VLC client always times out about five seconds after the server is disconnected, closing it's side of the stream. So when the server comes back online, VLC does not resume playing, already having torn down its side of the connection. If I'm reading the documentation correctly, it seems obvious to me that the command line option "--rtp-timeout" should control this behavior, but no matter how I set this value, VLC times out after the exact same five second period. I have played with other options, including ':rtsp-timeout', ':sap-timeout', ':rtsp-session-timeout', :'netsync-timeout', and ':ipv4-timeout', none of which have any effect (though I wouldn't expect them to).

Am I missing something obvious, or is this a bug? Can the VLC client-side timeout be configured (and if not, why)? And what does ":rtp-timeout" control if not this?

Thanks in advance for all assistance.

Sébastien Escudier
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
Operating System: linux

Re: RTSP timeout with VLC as client

Postby Sébastien Escudier » 19 Apr 2012 22:24

the timeout is 10 seconds when no data is received and you cannot change it without changing the source code. There is no option for this at the moment.

YourselfHimself
New Cone
New Cone

Postby YourselfHimself » 19 Apr 2012 22:43

Thanks for the response. Could you just point me to a general area in the source code where I could change this value? Is there just a define of that 10 seconds in some file that I could edit?

Sébastien Escudier
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Sébastien Escudier » 20 Apr 2012 10:10

modules/demux/live555.cpp
look for "no data received in 10s, eof ?"

enerdude
New Cone
New Cone

Postby enerdude » 21 Apr 2012 10:53

Thanks for the response. Could you just point me to a general area in the source code where I could change this value? Is there just a define of that 10 seconds in some file that I could edit?
I am also interested in this but cannot compile it myself. Can anybody point me to a compiled binary download for windows that has this value changed already. Or maybe a older version that does not have this limitation? Thanks in advance

Sébastien Escudier
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby Sébastien Escudier » 24 Apr 2012 13:10

this hard coded timeout value has always existed

enerdude
New Cone
New Cone

Postby enerdude » 24 Apr 2012 14:07

this hard coded timeout value has always existed
Ok...

Anybody that can share a windows binary where they have increased this timeout / removed it totally? I dont know how to compile it myself :(

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”