No sound when recording VLC clips

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Wakenaam
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

No sound when recording VLC clips

Postby Wakenaam » 14 Apr 2012 01:12

Friends: After finally figuring out how to record a video clip from the screen, I find I have no sound with the clip. Could someone walk me through how to do this? VLC 1.1.11. Windows XP Pro. Thank you.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Re: No sound when recording VLC clips

Postby VLC_help » 15 Apr 2012 11:58

How did you do the recording? You used Convert/Save/Streaming or red recording button?

Wakenaam
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Wakenaam » 15 Apr 2012 12:37

VlC_help: Thanks for the response. I used the screen capture method. Is there a better way to do this? Thanks.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 16 Apr 2012 18:55

I don't know what you mean with screen capture method.

Wakenaam
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Wakenaam » 16 Apr 2012 23:19

Do anyone else have any input for my problem? This VLC_help person never seems to know anything.

solazy
Cone that earned his stripes
VLC version: 1.1.11
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Postby solazy » 17 Apr 2012 03:07

This VLC_help person never seems to know anything.
You got a lot of nerve to write negative things like that.
On the contrary, VLC_help knows a lot of things and is very patient.
I just checked all your posts and usually, when he or j-b answered you in the past, you never thanked them in the end.

Now in this post you write vague things :
The title is "No sound when recording VLC clips"
Which means that you're recording parts of clips running actually in VLC, ok ?

That's why Vlc_help asked how you were recording them (using Vlc inner functionnalities, like Converting or the Red Button)
You answered him you're using the "screen capture method" which is probably a functionality of an external program, as explained here :
http://www.downloadhelper.net/screen-capture.php

So it seems there is a total confusion between your title ("recording VLC clips") and the fact you're probably using another program to capture the videos outside Vlc (if I understand clearly what you wrote initially : "After finally figuring out how to record a video clip from the screen...")

Personnally, I use Snagit to do some "image capture" or "video capture", as seen in the next pic.
If my recording parameters are incorrect and I didn't check the "Record sound too ?" or used a bad codec before recording, ending in a video without sound when played later in Vlc, then I won't come in this Forum and complain "why does my video has no sound in Vlc" when Vlc has nothing to do with the "screen capture method" or "video capture method" I used with Snagit

If what precedes is right, then it's your wrong title ("No sound when recording VLC clips") that created the misunderstanding, but reading what you wrote ("This VLC_help person never seems to know anything") just got my blood boiling, because he's a great helpful person and deserves much more than this rude attitude.

stevethedog
New Cone
New Cone

Postby stevethedog » 15 Aug 2012 01:53

Why fall out of your pram? It doesn't work. You follow the instructions, stream the youtube video, press the red button to record, press it again to stop recording. Play it back and you get the video but no sound. Impressive, but not quite 100%.
Why shouldn't I be able to record sound as well as vision?
Okay this is a free product and a very good one, and I'm not going to start slagging people off. But why not just say "Doesn't record sound and video at the same time" or just give some advice about how to make it do so? Come on, if you're recording a video you can't seriously be expected to go through menu options and technical decisions about formats etc just to get the sound as well? I mean, isn't it obvious you want the sound as well?
I still haven't found a simple answer to this simple question. Instead of shouting, why not give an answer? Maybe it's youtube not videolan, fair enough.Probably it is, RealPlayer can't download them anymore and VLC is fine when I take a clip from a DVD. All he wants is an answer. It's all I want too!

stevethedog
New Cone
New Cone

Postby stevethedog » 15 Aug 2012 02:04

Okay there's an easy answer, add &fmt=18 to the URL. Why not just say so?
Add &fmt=18 to the url.

stevethedog
New Cone
New Cone

Postby stevethedog » 15 Aug 2012 02:06

Except now we have a tiny panel in the corner of the screen and can't enlarge it. Any other options for the &fmt=?

bat999

Postby bat999 » 15 Aug 2012 04:01

... Any other options for the &fmt=?
Hi
This question came up before.
Here ---> viewtopic.php?f=14&t=95880
"&fmt=34" is OK with Windows VLC-2.0.3.
8)

stevethedog
New Cone
New Cone

Postby stevethedog » 15 Aug 2012 11:11

Thanks, just what the doctor ordered.

videratfive
New Cone
New Cone

Postby videratfive » 31 Dec 2019 19:45

... Any other options for the &fmt=?
Hi
This question came up before.
Here ---> [url]http://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=95880[/url]
"&fmt=34" is OK with Windows VLC-2.0.3.
8)
Hello. Thanks for the suggestion, but I think this is different than the problem that OP referenced and which I seem to be having as well. That thread refers to capturing from a streaming source, whereas I am attempting to record a clip from a local video (I have tried it with mp4 and mkv files that have known-good audio & video) and the resulting clip that is saved to my video folder has video, but no audio (and the audio in the audio track menu is greyed out )

I have found zero reference to this problem in searching save for this thread.

Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated.

VLC 3.0.8, WIn10, Dell G7

rayi23
New Cone
New Cone

Postby rayi23 » 12 Feb 2020 04:42

I also am not getting any sound with VLC 3.08 for some reason. I decided to install VLC 2.03 that I still have and it works perfectly, Sound , video and all. I even installed VLC 3.0 and still didn't have any sound. I always save version for this reason. I didn't care for the actual video quality either. So apparently this feature has not been working in VLC 3 is the only conclusion I can come to. What is going on? No one seems to have a solution nor really addressing the problem, except mine which is is to go back to VLC 2.03 for the sound to work if you can get it.

chilipepper987
New Cone
New Cone

Postby chilipepper987 » 24 Apr 2020 19:57

I couldn't get audio to work when using the record button on a local video either. I used the Media -> Convert / Save dialog to do it. You can select a local video, check "Show more options" and you can specify a start and end time to clip from the video.

goms
New Cone
New Cone

Postby goms » 15 Aug 2020 23:09

The only way to resolve the problem is to downgrade VLC ? There is not antoher way ?

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”