new icon for videolan?

Discussion about forum rules, new moderators, website content, website layout, VideoLAN artwork etc..
Forum rules
Please read the forum's rules carefully before posting. This forum should not be used to post VLC usage related questions.
srg
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

new icon for videolan?

Postby srg » 03 May 2009 12:11

Sorry admin if there is the good place for this post...
The purpuse of this post if to use the lovely cone for the new versions instead the bulldozer..
Please! do a vote why people want
Thanks in advanced!

thannoy
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 0.9.8a & 1.0-git
Operating System: GNU/Linux Fedora10

Re: new icon for videolan?

Postby thannoy » 03 May 2009 12:54

The bulldozer was an april fool, did you read this news date? (and news footer?)
Don't care :)

Fejinwales
New Cone
New Cone

Re: new icon for videolan - I made some

Postby Fejinwales » 03 May 2009 15:58

After using K-Lite mega Codec Packs for a long time, so I wouldn't have to use media Player, I suddenly found problems with it, not opening files properly and even stopping MP opening .WMV files. I Googled a search for the best media player and VLC came up tops in most of the places I found, so I installed it and am very happy with it, thanks to all those developers who have made this possible for people like me to use.

But the Icon, though incredibly singular in it's design made me laugh. My nephew and I began wondering how a traffic cone was selected as the icon in the first place, I would really love for someone to tell me if possible the reason so I can let him know the next time I see him.

Personally, though I love the programme I cannot stand the file icon of the traffic cone, so I have made a full set of Vista icons that are exactly like the ones I use for the files that Windows Media Player plays (that VLC does not), but I have replaced the 'play' arrow on the orange background with a horizontal stripe to represent VLC.

I cannot find the rules, Would appreciate a link to these, so I am unsure as to whether I am allowed to put a link here to an image of them, or the .icl file, but if anyone wants to have a set please email me and I will send them.

....OK, I'm going to have a look for the rules again.....
All those who believe in telekinesis, raise my hand.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 03 May 2009 16:08

Well, changing VLC icon from your side is fine, but we will keep the cone :D
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

TimeSearcher
New Cone
New Cone

Postby TimeSearcher » 04 May 2009 13:36

The "Magic Screen" from PeeWee's Playhouse would be more appropriate. Or make the Cone into a "Horn of Plenty"...

srg
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby srg » 06 May 2009 00:02

The bulldozer was an april fool, did you read this news date? (and news footer?)
Don't care :)
:oops: :oops: :oops:
sorry!!!!!!!!
I visit the pages many times for news and updates but this is my fault..i didnt see the date :oops:

Fejinwales
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Fejinwales » 10 Apr 2012 16:29

Well guys, you made it difficult for a while but I've managed to change the cones in the newer versions. I can thankfully upgrade from version 1.05 which was the last version I could do it to.
All those who believe in telekinesis, raise my hand.

Return to “Forum, Website and Artwork discussion”