How to disable saving of preferences on exit in VLC2?

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
jfx

How to disable saving of preferences on exit in VLC2?

Postby jfx » 24 Mar 2012 10:11

VLC 1 did not save preferences on exit but VLC 2 does. This causes problems when a video needs image adjustments as they are automatically applied to all subsequently played videos. The user must now always disable any previous adjustments when VLC is started and manually restore the default values (there is no reset button in the image preferences).

Is there any way to disable saving preferences on exit?

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Re: How to disable saving of preferences on exit in VLC2?

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 24 Mar 2012 13:15

Did you not press the save button in the preferences dialog?
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

jfx

Postby jfx » 24 Mar 2012 15:48

No, I did not. Steps to reproduce:

1) Play a video in VLC
2) Change contrast setting in Effects and Filters
3) Exit VLC
4) Play a video in VLC

The contrast setting is restored to a non-default value set in step 2. If you just start VLC, the contrast setting is not restored until video playback is started.

Rémi Denis-Courmont
Developer
Developer
VLC version: master
Operating System: Linux

Postby Rémi Denis-Courmont » 24 Mar 2012 16:45

Looks like a UI bug to me.
Rémi Denis-Courmont
https://www.remlab.net/
Private messages soliciting support will be systematically discarded

kdean
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 2.2
Operating System: Mac OS

Postby kdean » 24 Mar 2012 18:45

I believe the Video Filters window (Command-E) and Audio Effects window (Shift-Command-E) settings are meant to stay between sessions. I know I'd be annoyed if it didn't.

If you want to reset image adjustments, then click the reset button in the Video Filters window or deselect the Image Adjust checkbox to disable the filter.

jfx

Postby jfx » 25 Mar 2012 09:35

There is no reset button in the Effects and Filters window. Settings like contrast should definitely not be automatically saved between sessions as they are mostly used as temporary adjustments. If video 1 has a bad contrast, it does not mean video 2 is going to be the same.

In VLC1, the user could choose when to save the default effect settings. Now they are always saved (and there is no way to prevent it) which should be considered a bug.

Fandomas
New Cone
New Cone

Postby Fandomas » 21 Apr 2012 21:08

In VLC1, the user could choose when to save the default effect settings. Now they are always saved (and there is no way to prevent it) which should be considered a bug.
I am totally with you! It is annoying. There should be possibility to choose, when to save preferences as default.

zapoper
New Cone
New Cone

Postby zapoper » 28 Apr 2012 10:34

In VLC 1, I would adjust the effects and filters for standard videos to my liking and then go in preferences and click on save. The adjustments would always stay the way I set them. When I'd be watching a crappy video, I could adjust it for that particular video and when I'd shut down VLC, It wouldn't save these marginal settings. Now they are saved with VLC 2 and I have to readjust the whole thing again when I replay a standard video. Most aggravating.

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”