vlc update, what's the point?

macOS specific usage questions
leolodreamland
New Cone
New Cone

vlc update, what's the point?

Postby leolodreamland » 21 Mar 2012 04:17

still starts from last song if you 'open with' more than one song from right click within the finder. still can't see what album a track is from in the playlist...

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Re: vlc update, what's the point?

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 21 Mar 2012 11:14

Then, do not update.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

leolodreamland
New Cone
New Cone

Postby leolodreamland » 21 Mar 2012 21:04

not the point of me updating... i meant what's the point of you guys working on updates if you're not improving the software, in fact it seems to be worse? the small speaker icon on the volume mutes and the large one whacks it to 200 instead of going to the nice waypoints like before. it doesn't even tell you what volume you are on!!??!? also, you seem to have added a bunch of crap like network streaming and my music... what is this, wmp? i have itunes if i need that...

rleon
New Cone
New Cone

Postby rleon » 23 Jun 2012 13:03

I totally agree.

Audio playback - so many features I Do Not Want or which are just plain broken.

Meanwhile the devs are adding all kinds of pointless crap only they will ever use.

Devs ->>> get over yourselves.<<<

Make the basic stuff work first. Make VLC remember slider settings. Make it not forget preferences. Make it unnecessary to edit the prefs file by hand. Make it obvious what '1024' actually means as a volume setting. Make it easy to save and restore EQ curves. Make it so someone who wants to make the volume slider scale from 0 to 100% - like all other audio software - doesn't have to wrestle through the advanced prefs to make it possible. (Assuming it is - which it may not be.)

You know, you could even find out how to calibrate a volume scale in dB. (Complicated, I know. But rest of world seems to manage it.)

Once you've done that, you can start turning it into a web server - or whatever the hell you want to waste your time on.

ajmas
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 3.0.x
Operating System: MacOS X

Postby ajmas » 23 Jun 2012 21:26

Please breath a little and please cut the developers some slack.

The developers are limited in numbers and time, they do their best to improve VLC. A new update will be full of changes and bug fixes, though sometimes they are neither obvious nor the ones you were expecting, which is perfectly normal. They make a call to what works gets done. Remember the developers are not paid to develop VLC, but do it because they want to. Not everyone is going to be happy every time, I wish it could be otherwise, but experience and reality suggests otherwise.

If an update breaks something you have a few options:
- report the issue, such that it can reproduced - issues sometimes depend on the environment and aren't always reproducible
- use an older release until the issue has been fixed (I run multiple versions of some software for this reason)
Providing logs, messages, configuration info (VLC, OS, Hardware) and a clear explanation of the issue always helps the problem solvers help you, even if they don't end up solving the issue. Just think what you would need if you were solving someone else's problem. Additional: Always looking for eager and capable MacOS X developers to join the VLC team - for more information see here.

PeterReaper
New Cone
New Cone

Postby PeterReaper » 26 Jun 2012 14:55

I too hope the developers will focus a bit more on making the basics work better. I don't want web streaming and a thousand obscure settings. I want VLC to at least remember my settings. I want to easily repeat videos. I want to '*easily* define the video size for all videos. I want to *easily* add a button to loop a part of the video (A->B). At the very least, the user's preferences should be remembered. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 27 Jun 2012 14:01

I too hope the developers will focus a bit more on making the basics work better. I don't want web streaming and a thousand obscure settings. I want VLC to at least remember my settings. I want to easily repeat videos. I want to '*easily* define the video size for all videos. I want to *easily* add a button to loop a part of the video (A->B). At the very least, the user's preferences should be remembered. Does anyone know how to fix this?
Volunteers work on what they want, not what you want them to.
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

detlef
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby detlef » 27 Jun 2012 14:12

Good answer!

zapoper
New Cone
New Cone

Postby zapoper » 19 Jul 2012 06:09

Well since VLC2, all the settings that you change between sessions are saved when exiting VLC. I don't understand why we can't choose when to save them and when not to like in the older VLCs.

For now, I'm stuck with VLC 1.1.10 in the hopes that someone will come to their senses. This is basic stuff.

VOIR: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=99520

fkuehne
Developer
Developer
VLC version: 0.4.6 - present
Operating System: Darwin

Postby fkuehne » 20 Jul 2012 11:57

Hello I somehow missed the thread you linked in your post. Would you mind creating a ticket about this in our bug tracker? You can find it at: http://trac.videolan.org/vlc/timeline please note, that you can login using any Google or Yahoo account. Just click on OpenID in the upper right corner. There is no need to sign up for a special account only to create a ticket.
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne
Medic. VLC developer for appleOS since before you were born.
Blog: https://www.feepk.net

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”