Commandline option --dshow-size does not work

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
scoutice
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Commandline option --dshow-size does not work

Postby scoutice » 14 Feb 2005 23:48

Hi forum! I am currently working, that i can use the VLC as videorecorder. Therefore I need to start it using the commandline parameters.
Unfortunately the default screensize of dshow is 320x240 (with my tv-card), which is not satisfying, as better resolutions are possible.

if i start vlc using the --dshow-size="640x480" switch, this simply does change nothing. the same, if i set the size in the settings-menu.

only changing it in the device properties works, but because i am calling from the command line i cannot use this.

can you give me any hint to use the --dshow-size feature, or is this a bug? isn't it supported?

can you add this feature in the next release (nightly would be great), as it is very useful togehter with the --dshow-vdevice and --dshow-adevice switch?

yours, thomas

markfm
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby markfm » 15 Feb 2005 01:25

Dshow size does work, for many devices.
You might try:
--dshow-size="640 x 480"

I've heard of one vendor that had a slightly odd driver, required the spaces between the numbers and the "x"

scoutice
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby scoutice » 15 Feb 2005 08:02

hi! sorry, does not work

i tried:
--dshow-size="640 x 480"
--dshow-size="640x480"
--dshow-size="640x-480"
--dshow-size="640 x-480"
(for some reason, under "stream and media info" the resolution is "320x-240")

but what is the difference to, when i select it in the device properties coming up before starting the stream?
There I can select "640 x 480" (with blanks) and it works.
Maybe i should have a look into the sourcecode?

scoutice
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby scoutice » 15 Feb 2005 08:47

hi!
i just tested the switch in my office with my webcam, and it does work. the same build, the same switch.

it it a bug in my tv-card (medion MD9415, RT878 chipset)? But why does it work, when I set it using the device properties dialog?

yours (*a little bit confused*)

scoutice
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby scoutice » 15 Feb 2005 09:17

hi! one more comment:
it seems that the device property dialog is generated by the driver, because it is the same also in other applications. thus i will try to install a different driver in the evening.

your, thomas

scoutice
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby scoutice » 15 Feb 2005 18:24

actually the bug is in the driver, i just tested with a different driver, and it works. (unfornunately audio does not work)

a lot to do for me :-(

yours, thomas

markfm
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby markfm » 15 Feb 2005 18:48

Good luck -- vendor drivers can be "interesting" :)

scoutice
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby scoutice » 15 Feb 2005 22:47

oh, you are right!

they are indeed really interesting. unfortunately the generic wdm drivers do not work. it's a medion md9415 tv card.

hmm, what do other programs like chris-tv different to vlc? and what does "device settings" dialog open? it opens a dialog chreated by the driver, i think. am i right?

is there any possibility to manually set the dshow-size to e.g. 640x480 in a different way than the direct driver setting? anywhere else in vlc settings does not work, no matter if the dialog, command line or permanent settings.

do you have any ideas what i could do?

Frater Kork
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Frater Kork » 23 Mar 2005 01:42

Hi All,

Been a while since I posted here, Its good to be back. =)
I got extremly happy when I saw scouties work on streaming tv capture with channel selection and stuff, Great Work!

Back to this thread:
I can't set any capture resolutions above 352x288 when using the command line argument --dshow-size="" on my ATI AIW 9800.
It works perfectly well to set resolutions up to 720x576 with the gui...
After digging around the forum and the logs generated by VLC I found that the initial enumeration of pins showed that only the following resolutions could be used: 320x240 and 352x288.
The below log fragment indicates to me that VLC tries the info from --dshow-size or the Video Size field in the gui DirectShow tab but then ignores it in favour of the first of the enumerated ones...

Code: Select all

dshow debug: Width x Height 720x576 dshow debug: found device: ATI Rage Theater Video Capture dshow debug: using device: ATI Rage Theater Video Capture dshow debug: EnumDeviceCaps: output pin: Capture dshow debug: EnumDeviceCaps: output pin: VP dshow debug: EnumDeviceCaps: output pin: VBI dshow debug: EnumDeviceCaps: output pin: VPVBI dshow debug: EnumDeviceCaps: input pin: Analog Video In dshow debug: EnumDeviceCaps: trying pin Capture dshow debug: EnumDeviceCaps: input pin accepts chroma: UYVY, width:320, height:240 dshow debug: EnumDeviceCaps: input pin accepts chroma: YUY2, width:320, height:240 dshow debug: EnumDeviceCaps: input pin accepts chroma: UYVY, width:352, height:288 dshow debug: EnumDeviceCaps: input pin accepts chroma: YUY2, width:352, height:288 dshow debug: EnumDeviceCaps: input pin accepts chroma: UYVY, width:320, height:240 dshow debug: EnumDeviceCaps: input pin accepts chroma: YUY2, width:320, height:240 dshow debug: EnumDeviceCaps: input pin accepts chroma: UYVY, width:352, height:288 dshow debug: EnumDeviceCaps: input pin accepts chroma: YUY2, width:352, height:288 dshow debug: EnumDeviceCaps: trying pin VP dshow debug: dshow debug: EnumDeviceCaps: trying pin VBI dshow debug: dshow debug: dshow debug: EnumDeviceCaps: trying pin VPVBI dshow debug: dshow debug: CaptureFilter::JoinFilterGraph dshow debug: connecting filters dshow debug: CaptureFilter::EnumPins dshow debug: CapturePin::QueryDirection dshow debug: CapturePin::ConnectedTo [not connected] dshow debug: CapturePin::QueryPinInfo dshow debug: CaptureFilter::QueryFilterInfo dshow debug: CapturePin::QueryPinInfo dshow debug: CaptureFilter::EnumPins dshow debug: CapturePin::QueryDirection dshow debug: CapturePin::QueryDirection dshow debug: CapturePin::QueryDirection dshow debug: CapturePin::QueryAccept [OK] (width=320, height=240, chroma=UYVY) dshow debug: CapturePin::ReceiveConnection [OK] dshow debug: CapturePin::GetAllocatorRequirements dshow debug: CapturePin::GetAllocator dshow debug: CapturePin::NotifyAllocator
However, if I check the Device Properties box and continue to select a higher resolution in the Properties box I see this in the log:

dshow debug: CapturePin::QueryAccept [OK] (width=720, height=576, chroma=YUY2) dshow debug: CapturePin::Disconnect [OK] dshow debug: CapturePin::QueryDirection dshow debug: CapturePin::QueryAccept [OK] (width=720, height=576, chroma=YUY2) dshow debug: CapturePin::ReceiveConnection [OK] dshow debug: CapturePin::GetAllocatorRequirements dshow debug: CapturePin::GetAllocator dshow debug: CapturePin::NotifyAllocator
And *then* the video resolution is fine!?
What is going bonk here?

(yes I saw the other thread about odd spelling of the resolution, My Properties list shows the resolutions as "720 x 576" and not "720x576". Tried both combinations however)

Uh right forgot to mention what version I was running, its the Mar 22 nightly build: vlc-0.8.2-svn-20050322
And I run it on Windows Server 2003.

Otherwise, bleeding good app! I adore VLC. =)

Cheers!
Frater

Postby Guest » 25 Mar 2005 11:36

Same problem here!

Frater Kork
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Frater Kork » 26 Mar 2005 20:18

Now I have tried the same thing with my Hauppauge PVR-350, same problem. :(

Here is my launch string:

vlc -vvv dshow:// --dshow-vdev="Hauppauge WinTV PVR PCI II Capture" --dshow-size="640x480" --dshow-tuner-channel=22 --sout #transcode{vcodec=DIV3,vb=1024,scale=1,acodec=mp3,ab=192,channels=2}:std{access=udp,mux=ts,url=192.168.0.100:1234}
No matter if I try with the PVR or the AIW does the --dshow-size work from the command line.
The PVR defaults to 720x576 while the AIW defaults to 320x240.

Can anyone tell me what cards they have actually succeeded with, and what build versions they used?

Frater Kork
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby Frater Kork » 31 Mar 2005 00:40

Anybody?
Dont seem to work for Scoutie either..

scoutice
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

now works

Postby scoutice » 25 Jul 2005 14:57

works now with version 0.8.2 (however, i cannot stream dshow:// with 0.8.2 for some reason).

still some work to do, but bugs seem to get less

greetings

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”