Mac 10.7.3 compilation problems on latest code

macOS specific usage questions
rshetty00
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Mac 10.7.3 compilation problems on latest code

Postby rshetty00 » 04 Mar 2012 05:54

I'm struggling to compile the latest code on Mac OSX 10.7.3 with Xcode 4.2.
Created links as specified in wiki(OSXCompile). But getting

$ ../extras/package/macosx/build.sh
Checking for gcc... /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/llvm-gcc-4.2/bin/llvm-gcc-4.2
checking for C compiler default output file name...
configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables
See `config.log' for more details.
make: *** [.pkg-config] Error 77

In ../extras/package/macosx/build.sh I did set
CC=/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/llvm-gcc-4.2/bin/llvm-gcc-4.2
CXX=..../llvm-g+++-4.2
OBJC=/Applications//Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/Developer/usr/bin/clang

Not sure OBJC setting above is correct? In one of the thread, there was a suggestion to compile with tag --with-gcc=clang. Not sure from where / what command?

There are hard coded path to /Developer/... in different scripts and not positive MACROS and the Links automatically take care different platform specific compile (MacOS, iOS). Also, for VLC newbies, please document what exactly CC, CXX, OBJC etc should point to.

Interested in compiling for both Mac OSX and iOS. Any help from anyone compiled recently will be greatly appreciated.

See similar additional errors

cd /Users/test/vlc/extras/tools
./bootstrap && make

checking for style of include used by make... GNU
checking for gcc... /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/llvm-gcc-4.2/bin/llvm-g++-4.2
yes
checking whether subdir libobjs are useable... yes
checking for gcc... /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/llvm-gcc-4.2/bin/llvm-g++-4.2
no
onfigure: error: C compiler cannot create executables
configure: error: in `/Users/test/vlc/extras/tools/yasm':
See `config.log' for more details
checking whether the C compiler works... no
configure: error: in `/Users/test/vlc/extras/tools/libtool':
make: *** [.yasm] Error 77
make: *** [.pkg-config] Error 77
make: *** [.libtool] Error 77

nkoriyama
Cone that earned his stripes
VLC version: git
Operating System: Windows / Mac OS X

Re: Mac 10.7.3 compilation problems on latest code

Postby nkoriyama » 04 Mar 2012 07:46

You seem to use Xcode 4.3.
And you should install the command-line tools. https://developer.apple.com/library/ios ... e_4_3.html
After install the command-line tools, clang/gcc are installed to /usr/bin, so you can use them without setting any special paths.

I use the following environmental variables:

Code: Select all

export CC=clang (or export CC=/usr/bin/clang) export OBJC=clang (or export OBJC=/usr/bin/clang) export CXX=clang++ (or export CXX=/usr/bin/clang++)
Anyway Xcode 4.3 has not been supported yet. You have to change some files.
ticket 6305 may help.

EDIT:
I don't know anything about iOS development, so I cannot comment about it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
My hack for ISDB-T http://sdrv.ms/126weue

rshetty00
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby rshetty00 » 05 Mar 2012 01:53

Thanks a lot.
I had that modified several of those hard coded paths earlier to posting. With your suggestion, feels like still long way to go as I keep getting many of the codec related libraries missing. I downloaded prebuilt libraries. So not sure what's the issue

./configure --enable-debug CFLAGS="-arch i386" CXXFLAGS="-arch i386" LDFLAGS="-arch i386" OBJCFLAGS="-arch i386" --build=i386-apple-darwin10 --with-macosx-sdk=/Applications//Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform//Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.6.sdk --enable-macosx --disable-lua --disable-mad --disable-avcodec --disable-swscale --disable-postproc --disable-a52
configure: error: Sparkle framework is required and was not found in

Not sure how I avoid this error.

My immediate goal is to develop a plugin/external module to simply log player events (particularly those associated with HTTP Live Streaming etc) to a file for Analytics purposes. Quick hack for a POC. This project should ultimately provide lot of additional visibility for VLC. I've many of other Media Players to play with but thought VLC will be great due to its claim for wide range of protocol, OS / Device support etc. But with VLC's several versions crashing in Windows, then with all this MAC compilation errors, bit lost!

Any suggestions about how I can get this quick hack working? (plugin for standalone player and then several Web Browsers)? Since I don't need to play with core code, I believe I don't have to compile the core/go through this nightmare.

nkoriyama
VLC version: git
Operating System: Windows / Mac OS X

Postby nkoriyama » 05 Mar 2012 03:25

configure: error: Sparkle framework is required and was not found in
It means you don't have Sparkle framework. (contrib/i386-apple-darwin10/Sparke.Framework)
How do you make contribs? make prebuilt or build from source?
Any suggestions about how I can get this quick hack working? (plugin for standalone player and then several Web Browsers)? Since I don't need to play with core code, I believe I don't have to compile the core/go through this nightmare.
If you want to develop a module as VLC plugin, you have to compile the core.
But I don't understand exactly what you want to do, so I cannot advice if you have to develop it as a VLC plugin or not.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
My hack for ISDB-T http://sdrv.ms/126weue

rshetty00
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby rshetty00 » 05 Mar 2012 04:13

Successfully compiled (finally!) after I reloaded pre-built libraries (and with some of the workarounds did earlier etc). Plays HLS media. Hurray! :D
On to building external plugin (looking for examples)

rshetty00
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Postby rshetty00 » 05 Mar 2012 05:09

For plugin: Since I've compiled VLC successfully with prebuilt libraries, I'm assuming I can continue from here and just build a separate module and link it.

Plugin: Just want to log some statistics (player callback events - Play started, paused, ended, stream length/duration etc) from VLC player. I see some debug messages in console and thus modifying the core code is an option. But I don't want to do that for various reasons. Would like to have an external/independent plugin. Did look at vlc_events.h.

Any similar code examples and steps involved?

Thanks

waqas.qureshi786
New Cone
New Cone

Postby waqas.qureshi786 » 26 Sep 2012 12:51

Hi rshetty,

I hope you are well. I'm trying to compile the VLC libraries for MacOS 10.7 (Lion) but videolan OSXCompile instructions are not working on it. Can you please let me knw that what steps are you followed for compilation VLC for MacOSX ?

Looking forward to your reply.

Thanks
Waqas Qureshi

Return to “VLC media player for macOS Troubleshooting”