MP4 Track Naming Utility for VLC 2.0.0

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
Simon88
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

MP4 Track Naming Utility for VLC 2.0.0

Postby Simon88 » 22 Feb 2012 01:10

I'm currently using MP4Box to enable & disable as well as NAMING audio & subtitle tracks.Those Names are recognized by most players such as Nero & MPC-HC.. but not VLC.

Can someone recommend a GUI or command-line utility for such chores, and a sample command for entering such data into a MP4 file?.. eg AtomicParsely, or MP4v2 Library.. because there are ALOT of areas for such data in the MP4 specs... I just don't know which "location" VLC 2.0.0 use for track names...

Many Thanks!

Lotesdelere
Cone Master
Cone Master

Re: MP4 Track Naming Utility for VLC 2.0.0

Postby Lotesdelere » 22 Feb 2012 09:29

Most of the tools, like MP4Box and MP3tag, are using the hdlr atom for storing the track name but this way is out of the specs.
I know many other players have choosen to deal with that and to display the content of hdlr.name as the track name but VLC has decided not to do it, for now. AFAIK VLC actually only reads and shows the udta.name atom which is used by Apple.

Simon88
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: MP4 Track Naming Utility for VLC 2.0.0

Postby Simon88 » 22 Feb 2012 10:57

I was able to set it properly using mp4track. MediaInfo & MPC-HC will not recognize it, but VLC 2.0.0 recognized it. I then entered a utf-8 CJK track-name on the command line after changing code page to 65001 and it didn't work.

In Matroska I was able to input utf-8 track-names from the command line and all players recognized it.

MP4Box needed me to specify a separate utf-8 text file in order for CJK track-names to work.

Appears MediaInfo, Nero, MPC-HC, & others only looks at the hdlr.name string.

How do I add a utf-8 track-name to the udta.name atom used by Apple? What tool(s) should I use, I mean?..

thanx

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”