Getting VLC to play HULU

Microsoft Windows specific usage questions
Forum rules
Please post only Windows specific questions in this forum category. If you don't know where to post, please read the different forums' rules. Thanks.
degarb
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Getting VLC to play HULU

Postby degarb » 29 Jan 2012 22:18

I am wondering how to get hulu playing in vlc.

Best I can recon from that google doohicky is you need to install the firefox plugin at vlc install. Then some vague instruction, that I can't make out to enable this in Firefox for video. This step, I am lost, since I don't use FF anyway.

I use Opera, can I enable the plugin to work in Opera?

Or can I just cut and paste a hulu url to watch in VLC? This method is preferred, since I can set default priority to VLC to realtime, more practically than I can Opera. People with dual cores have issue with choppy video with flash in full screen. While VLC has done all types of full screen video without jerkiness since 08, on single core 500 mhz machines. :shock:

degarb
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: Getting VLC to play HULU

Postby degarb » 30 Jan 2012 14:23

I installed the plugin, nightly build and 1.1. It appears as if both FF and Opera are still using adobe flash for at least hulu.com. Maybe, I am mistaken.

Looks, however, like Opera is properly setup to use the vlc plugin. Perhaps, they override the Opera preferences via a javascript.

Since, I do know ahk, this simple language can urldownload to file and parse. I wonder if there is a theoretical way to find a js script from the html, parse, and locate real hulu url for video, so vlc could play it. How long would it take to learn lua? It takes about 20 minutes for a beginner to read ahk chm and start coding.

VLC_help
Mega Cone Master
Mega Cone Master

Postby VLC_help » 30 Jan 2012 18:16

VLC doesn't replace Flash plugin. So you need LUA parser or direct URLs. LUA is quite easy since basically you only have to find the URL from the page and maybe parse it a bit. You can checkout e.g. the Youtube.lua and see how it works.

But I would guess with Hulu it isn't very easy since there would most likely be a LUA script for it, if it was easy/trivial, but I could be wrong.

bluebird88
New Cone
New Cone

Postby bluebird88 » 21 Feb 2012 06:12

if you can get it to work, please let us know! Thanks :D

Return to “VLC media player for Windows Troubleshooting”