.ASF MP4 Conversion Very Slow

For questions and discussion that is NOT (I repeat NOT) specific to a certain Operating System.
abrogard
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

.ASF MP4 Conversion Very Slow

Postby abrogard » 16 Jan 2012 22:43

I have a problem with large .ASF files which I posted about in another thread and got a workaround from scgroup which I used effectively a couple of times.

It is now working on a 10gig file which represents 6 hours of webcam monitoring.

VLC has been working on it all night - more than 12 hours now - and the time indicator says more than 3 hours where it reports the length of the file as being something more than merely 1 hour.

So it appears to be doing what it should, inasmuch as the length is continually increasing beyond the 'startup reported length' (to coin a phrase).

But that speed is suspect especially as scgroup was saying it should go very fast.

The machine it is working on is not very fast or very modern but has a 1 point something gig processor (Intel) and is totally dedicated to that task.

Considering the size of the file I don't want to stop the process and check I've got everything set right ( I naturally believe I did set everything right) and thought it might not hurt if I were to post a quick query here - does that situation seem right, perhaps considering the 10gig size, or is it suspect and, if so, what probable cause in misconfiguration? And, ultimately, of course, do the knowledgeable perhaps think the prognosis is a never-ending situation and I should abort now? That's the main point I guess.

:)

Return to “General VLC media player Troubleshooting”