macOS specific usage questions
kdean
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna
VLC version: 2.2
Operating System: Mac OS

VLC 2.0 RC1 Nightly bugs / issues

Postby kdean » 07 Jan 2012 02:52

Seems a lot of previosly reported bugs / issues are still around even in Release candidate stage. Makes me wonder if 1.2 should be skipped when released due to annoying funkiness.

• Can't access playlist / media Library when initially opening VLC until a video is opened. It shows the Drop media here area instead. Same thing if you remove all items from playlist, it switches to the drop media here area even though you have items in your media library. Probably should move the Media Library to under the Playlist item on the left so it can be selected. Being under Library it seems to imply other playlists can be created and saved, but I see no method to do so. Seems that would be a good replacement for the Media Library by allowing multiple libraries.

Renaming the playlist doesn't really seem to serve a purpose since I can't see the way to have more than one and quitting and re-opening VLC just goes back to the original playlist name.

• Can video launch in a separate window so the playlist / media library can be accessed at the same time? I see there's a preference for playing the video in a separate window, but it seems to cause even more playlist oddities and you can't close the window. One oddity is seeing a transparent Drop Media screen overlaying the playlist window.

• Can we have an option to lose the Drop media here thing entirely? Haven't needed it before, still don't need it now and it seems to just get in the way of other functionality.

• My Computer - My Videos, My Music, My Pictures - don't seem to do anything when selected other than change the title in the Playlist area. The actual Playlist content and Media Library stays the same.

• After playing at least one video and returning to the playlist, the Show / Hide options don't appear for My Computer, Local Network and Internet do not appear unless the divider is resized between the left column and the playlist.

Command-W doesn't close the window anymore. Clicking the red close button in the window does close the window but audio continues playing.

• Native Lion Full Screen does not zoom to full screen and just plays at normal size over the slid in space.

• Pressing i while in Full screen still no longer brings up the overlay controller like it did before and the hot keys still indicate. Moving the mouse however does still work to show the controller.

• Can the Video Effects sliders also show a number value indicator or have an option to snap to notched divisions (maybe while holding down option). This would allow one to make note of preferred settings that one could reset to later. Now it's completely arbitrary and you just slide to approximately similar levels. The Banding Removal has notches that snap similar to what I'm describing.

Video Effects don't seem to have a reset to defaults button.

• In Video Effects, adjusting crop values causes the video to flicker and bounce around and sometimes scale down to a much smaller size.

• Double-clicking a new video in the finder begins playing correctly, except after the media library (with items in it) is wigited open. Once I've opened my media library section and then double-click a new video in the finder, no matter what, one video from my media library will start playing instead even if it wasn't the latest video played from my library and it's always the same video.

• Starting a video from the playlist doesn't always switch to the video screen even though it does start playing. Seems to occur when another video is still playing when you switch back to the playlist to select another. Another reason to keep the windows separate. Everything doesn't need to be crammed all in one less functional window.

• Adjusting the volume with the keyboard shows an immediate change in the controller but lags extremely in actually changing the volume still. This causes one to overcompensate and then volume either unexpected gets really loud or really quiet. Previous VLC releases didn't have this issue.

• Adjusting the volume also no longer shows any change indicators in the OSD like it used to with a percentage and level indicator. Very useful, especially in Full Screen.

• Sometimes although I'm not sure what the trigger is, I lose the ability to select items in the playlist / media library. Confirmed still around with latest nightly. Possibly due to the window thinking it's displaying the Drop Media screen while actually showing the playlist and thus no clicks are being registered. I have nothing to support this, just a theory based on general confusion the interface seems to have with the window states.
Last edited by kdean on 17 Jan 2012 21:14, edited 5 times in total.

detlef
Blank Cone
Blank Cone

Re: VLC 1.2 RC1 Nightly bugs / issues

Postby detlef » 07 Jan 2012 13:53

Full screen video device cannot be selected

fkuehne
Developer
Developer
VLC version: 0.4.6 - present
Operating System: Darwin

Postby fkuehne » 07 Jan 2012 14:35

Seems a lot of previosly reported bugs / issues are still around even in Release candidate stage. Makes me wonder if 1.2 should be skipped when released due to annoying funkiness.

• Can't access playlist / media Library when initially opening VLC until a video is opened. It shows the Drop media here area instead. Same thing if you remove all items from playlist, it switches to the drop media here area even though you have items in your media library. Probably should move the Media Library to under the Playlist item on the left so it can be selected. Being under Library it seems to imply other playlists can be created and saved, but I see no method to do so. Seems that would be a good replacement for the Media Library by allowing multiple libraries.
We won't do multiple playlists or libraries for 1.2. As you suggested, of course the media library will be moved to the side bar prior to the actual release so it is no longer hidden by the drop media view.
The drop media view was introduced to simplify VLC's usage on the Mac, especially since most users don't tend to keep playlist or even media libraries within VLC so far.
• Renaming the playlist doesn't really seem to server a purpose since I can't see the way to have more than one and quitting and re-opening VLC just goes back to the original playlist name.
You shouldn't be able to rename the playlist. This is a bug to be fixed shortly.
• Can video launch in a separate window so the playlist / media library can be accessed at the same time? I see there's a preference for playing the video in a separate window, but it seems to cause even more playlist oddities and you can't close the window. One oddity is seeing a transparent Drop Media screen overlaying the playlist window.
It's possible that I need to disable that feature for VLC 1.2's initial release, but it will be restored in subsequent releases.
• Can we have an option to lose the Drop media here thing entirely? Haven't needed it before, still don't need it now and it seems to just get in the way of other functionality.
Feel free to file a trac ticket on that.
• My Computer - My Videos, My Music, My Pictures - don't seem to do anything when selected other than change the title in the Playlist area. The actual Playlist content and Media Library stays the same.
Known issue. To be fixed this week-end. We also got multiple trac tickets on that.
• After playing at least one video and returning to the playlist, the Show / Hide options don't appear for My Computer, Local Network and Internet do not appear and less the divider is resized between the left column and the playlist.
Should be fixed in the current code, but I'll recheck.
• Command-W doesn't close the window anymore. Clicking the red close button in the window does close the window but audio continues playing.
Known issue. This does only affect the dark window style. There is a ticket about that on trac for the 1.2.x bugfix release milestone.
• Native Lion Full Screen does not zoom to full screen and just plays at normal size over the slid in space.
This is due to the fact that the nightly builds are compiled on a server running Mac OS X 10.6. We need to link against the 10.7 SDK to make this work correctly, which we will do for the final release. Note that Lion's native fullscreen mode may be restricted to the 64bit builds since we still need to support Mac OS X 10.5, but this won't be noticed by most everyday users.
• Pressing i while in Full screen still no longer brings up the overlay controller like it did before and the hot keys still indicate. Moving the mouse however does still work to show the controller.
This is due to changes in VLC's core. Please file a ticket on trac if you want it to be changed.
• Can the Video Effects sliders also show a number value indicator or have an option to snap to notched divisions (maybe while holding down option). This would allow one to make note of preferred settings that one could reset to later. Now it's completely arbitrary and you just slide to approximately similar levels. The Banding Removal has notches that snap similar to what I'm describing.
Please file a ticket on trac for this kind of feature requests. The effects panels added to the Mac OS X interface in VLC 1.2 closely match the panels present on Windows and Linux. Since this model doesn't include text fields, the Mac interface doesn't include them either. Note that I'm not entirely convinced to add these fields, since this would bloat the panel quite a bit. Additionally, you can enter the numbers manually in the advanced preferences panel if you wish to keep them across multiple sessions.
• Video Effects don't seem to have a reset to defaults button.
True. I'll re-add one for the "Image Adjust" filter.
• In Video Effects, adjusting crop values causes the video to flicker and bounce around and sometimes scale down to a much smaller size.
Core issue. Please file a trac ticket on that.
• Double-clicking a new video in the finder begins playing correctly, except after the media library (with items in it) is wigited open. Once I've opened my media library section and then double-click a new video in the finder, no matter what, one video from my media library will start playing instead even if it wasn't the latest video played from my library and it's always the same video.

• Starting a video from the playlist doesn't always switch to the video screen even though it does start playing. Seems to occur when another video is still playing when you switch back to the playlist to select another. Another reason to keep the windows separate. Everything doesn't need to be crammed all in one less functional window.
Interesting. Thanks for noticing!
• Adjusting the volume with the keyboard shows an immediate change in the controller but lags extremely in actually changing the volume still. This causes one to overcompensate and then volume either unexpected gets really loud or really quiet. Previous VLC releases didn't have this issue.
Known issue. We have a ticket about this on trac. Regrettably, it probably won't be fixed in time for 1.2's initial release.
• Adjusting the volume also no longer shows any change indicators in the OSD like it used to with a percentage and level indicator. Very useful, especially in Full Screen.
Noticed that, too, just yesterday and I share your opinion. Should be fixed shortly.
• Sometimes although I'm not sure what the trigger is, I lose the ability to select items in the playlist / media library. Confirmed still around with latest nightly. Possibly due to the window thinking it's displaying the Drop Media screen while actually showing the playlist and thus no clicks are being registered. I have nothing to support this, just a theory based on general confusion the interface seems to have with the window states.
It would be awesome if you could figure out a proper way to reproduce this. I noticed this later last summer, but it seems to be gone for me since then.
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne
Medic. VLC developer for appleOS since before you were born.
Blog: https://www.feepk.net

kdean
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby kdean » 07 Jan 2012 16:45

• After playing at least one video and returning to the playlist, the Show / Hide options don't appear for My Computer, Local Network and Internet do not appear and less the divider is resized between the left column and the playlist.
I discovered the issue for the first time in the latest nightly I downloaded yesterday. 1.2-branch-intel64-20120106-0313.zip
• Command-W doesn't close the window anymore. Clicking the red close button in the window does close the window but audio continues playing.
Known issue. This does only affect the dark window style. There is a ticket about that on trac for the 1.2.x bugfix release milestone.
Switched to Bright window style and yes Command-W works, but both have the audio continue playing if a video is playing when the window is closed.
This is due to changes in VLC's core. Please file a ticket on trac if you want it to be changed.
https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/5796
Please file a ticket on trac for this kind of feature requests. The effects panels added to the Mac OS X interface in VLC 1.2 closely match the panels present on Windows and Linux. Since this model doesn't include text fields, the Mac interface doesn't include them either. Note that I'm not entirely convinced to add these fields, since this would bloat the panel quite a bit. Additionally, you can enter the numbers manually in the advanced preferences panel if you wish to keep them across multiple sessions.
It's not so much editable text fields that I was talking about, but just an indicator of the value that the slider is currently set to. Perhaps a tooltip overlay as you drag would be a good way to do it without adding more to the interface. Basically if the slider is at one spot, let's say a value of 25 and I slide it to somewhere else and I want to return to my exact previous value on just one slider without resetting to defaults, it'd be nice if there was a value shown so that it could be done. Otherwise it's not possible in the interface.

https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/5797
Core issue. Please file a trac ticket on that.
https://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/5798
It would be awesome if you could figure out a proper way to reproduce this. I noticed this later last summer, but it seems to be gone for me since then.

Yeah, this one's been hard to pin down a repeatable action to reproduce. I've only noticed it while testing the other issues, so there's definitely something going on.

kdean
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby kdean » 07 Jan 2012 16:50

Also, the track system's select box for VLC version doesn't have an option for the 1.2 branch or 1.2.x git, just the master git and other 1.1 versions. I ended up just selecting other for my tickets.

kdean
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby kdean » 07 Jan 2012 16:54

I discovered the issue for the first time in the latest nightly I downloaded yesterday. 1.2-branch-intel64-20120106-0313.zip
Seems to be another bright / dark issue. Problem exists in Dark but works in Bright.

kdean
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby kdean » 07 Jan 2012 17:02

This is due to the fact that the nightly builds are compiled on a server running Mac OS X 10.6. We need to link against the 10.7 SDK to make this work correctly, which we will do for the final release. Note that Lion's native fullscreen mode may be restricted to the 64bit builds since we still need to support Mac OS X 10.5, but this won't be noticed by most everyday users.
Just noticed some Dark / Bright inconsistencies here. Dark works as previously described while bright does zoom to full screen in native Lion mode. Both, however, do not show the Full Screen Controller even when the mouse is moved and since the hotkey doesn't work either, there's no way to see a controller if you use the native mode. Perhaps this is affected by the compiling issue you mention as well.

kdean
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby kdean » 07 Jan 2012 17:14

Ok, got it. It does it in non-native Lion Full Screen mode (my preferred mode since it works more like previous versions) Bright or Dark.

Basically I can launch VLC and open a new video. Switch to Full Screen and switch back and either stop the video or switch to the playlist and now I can no longer select the items in the playlist. I can select the Playlist and Media Library widgets to open / close them but cannot select the videos listed. Right-clicking an item oddly does seem to work since it highlights, but still the only way to play a new video then is via the contextual menu.

The items in the left column like My Videos are also not selectable either after Full Screen.

kdean
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby kdean » 07 Jan 2012 17:23

Opening the Message window while a video is playing causes VLC to crash. If you pause the video first, it doesn't crash. But it will crash as soon as the video is resumed.
Last edited by kdean on 09 Jan 2012 10:35, edited 1 time in total.

kdean
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby kdean » 07 Jan 2012 19:45

When I first open a video I try to use the up and down arrows which I have set to medium jumps but it just triggers a beep and nothing happens. If I close the video window and re-open a video from the finder, the up and down arrows then work as expected.
Last edited by kdean on 09 Jan 2012 10:33, edited 1 time in total.

kdean
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby kdean » 07 Jan 2012 20:08

When playing back a video at double size (Command-2) or Fit to Screen (Command-3), the position indicator in the progress bar will eventually start to flicker when it updates it's position. It starts flickering in a different place depending on the zoomed size of the video. If you jump back to the beginning portion of the video it stops flickering. It's always when it gets past a certain point in it's playback. It appears that it's the progress bar starting to render on top of half the position diamond rather than behind it.
Last edited by kdean on 09 Jan 2012 10:33, edited 1 time in total.

kdean
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby kdean » 07 Jan 2012 20:34

Ok, got it. It does it in non-native Lion Full Screen mode (my preferred mode since it works more like previous versions) Bright or Dark.

Basically I can launch VLC and open a new video. Switch to Full Screen and switch back and either stop the video or switch to the playlist and now I can no longer select the items in the playlist. I can select the Playlist and Media Library widgets to open / close them but cannot select the videos listed. Right-clicking an item oddly does seem to work since it highlights, but still the only way to play a new video then is via the contextual menu.

The items in the left column like My Videos are also not selectable either after Full Screen.
Another trigger is to open VLC and begin playing a video. Close the video (Command-W) and while you continue to hear the audio play, go to the finder and double-click to open the video again. It restarts and opens a new window. Stop to get back to the playlist and as before you can't select items in the playlist. This one doesn't depend on which Full Screen mode is used.

fkuehne
Developer
Developer

Postby fkuehne » 07 Jan 2012 21:30

Also, the track system's select box for VLC version doesn't have an option for the 1.2 branch or 1.2.x git, just the master git and other 1.1 versions. I ended up just selecting other for my tickets.
That's fine, since VLC 1.2 isn't out yet. So just select "master", since this what it currently is.
When I first open a video I try to use the up and down arrows which I have set to medium jumps but it just triggers a beep and nothing happens. If I close the video window and re-open a video from the finder, the up and down arrows then work as expected.
That's actually a bigger problem. See http://trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/5806

Thanks for your comprehensive feedback and finally ways to produce that very issue :)
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne

kdean
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby kdean » 07 Jan 2012 23:05

That's fine, since VLC 1.2 isn't out yet. So just select "master", since this what it currently is.
OK, I just figured since 1.2 was listed as a branch and 1.3 was the git releases that a 1.2 version would be the one to select.

Of course now all of a sudden the Nightlies just posted a bunch new differently named builds with x86_64 replacing the intel 64 branch releases.

kdean
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby kdean » 09 Jan 2012 10:30

Command-W doesn't close the window anymore. Clicking the red close button in the window does close the window but audio continues playing.
Command-W now works in both Bright and Dark and the audio stops playing in bright but still keeps playing in Dark.

kdean
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby kdean » 09 Jan 2012 10:36

Playlist code must be in flux. Can't select items in it at all now.

fkuehne
Developer
Developer

Postby fkuehne » 12 Jan 2012 11:24

I'm improving the playlist code right now. So, yeah, there is this temporary problem, which is obviously going to be fixed shortly :)

Other problems fixed now include:
  • fullscreen video device selection when using the traditional fullscreen mode
  • fixed ugly resizing artifacts when using the black window style (parts of the window disappeared, etc.)
  • limited Lion's fullscreen mode to builds linked against the 10.7 SDK. This prevents resizing issues when entering fullscreen mode, etc.
  • re-written the debug messages panel, so it longer locks up or even crashes the interface
  • fixed execution on Snow Leopard, in case a build was created on Lion (aka pre4-64bit-intel)
  • fixed DVD menu navigation
  • fixed hotkeys with modifiers
  • fixed playlist counter on the sidebar
VideoLAN
Felix Paul Kühne

kdean
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby kdean » 12 Jan 2012 15:45

Good news on fixes. Let us know when the playlist is ready for further testing. That's what's really keeping me from using the nightlies on a non-testing basis.

kdean
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Re: VLC 2.0 RC1 Nightly bugs / issues

Postby kdean » 23 Jan 2012 15:29

Just noting that the intel nightlies haven't posted a new version in a week. I wanted to check and see if the playlist was still broken as it is in the last Jan 16th version posted.

mac_man_ad
Blank Cone
Blank Cone
VLC version: 2.0.0
Operating System: OS 10.7.3

Postby mac_man_ad » 24 Jan 2012 01:19

The automatic builder for intel-osx nighties seems to be offline.
http://buildbot.videolan.org/buildslaves
jones is the one we want from memory.

Jean-Baptiste Kempf
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
VLC version: 4.0.0-git
Operating System: Linux, Windows, Mac

Postby Jean-Baptiste Kempf » 24 Jan 2012 15:37

It is dead... Mac Pro hardware used to be better, to be honest...
Jean-Baptiste Kempf
http://www.jbkempf.com/ - http://www.jbkempf.com/blog/category/Videolan
VLC media player developer, VideoLAN President and Sites administrator
If you want an answer to your question, just be specific and precise. Don't use Private Messages.

kdean
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna

Postby kdean » 24 Jan 2012 19:49

Everything fails sometime.

bluemonger
New Cone
New Cone

Postby bluemonger » 27 Jan 2012 17:15

VLC 2.0 RC1 crashes consistently during initialization on Mac OS X 10.6.8 with a breakpoint trap.

Exception Type: EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000
Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Dyld Error Message:
Symbol not found: _getline
Referenced from: /Applications/VLC.app/Contents/MacOS/lib/libvlccore.5.dylib
Expected in: /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib

What's wrong?

Cheers.

kdean
Big Cone-huna
Big Cone-huna